Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist?
Yes 296 84.33%
No 55 15.67%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times

Advertisements

Why not? Being atheist does not mean you are amoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
I'm not American, so this wouldn't matter to me.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
I'm surprised by the results of this poll. If you carried it put just 10 years ago I imagine it would have been a lot different.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That would obviously fit Obama. Does anyone really think he's Christian
I seriously believe Obama is a Christian, but I don't think that makes him a bad person. Because he does not "wear his beliefs on his sleeve" does not mean he is not a Christian. Of course I have a neighbor who attends church every Sunday without fail, volunteers at the churches soup kitchen and it's world outreach program faithfully, but who is pro choice, gay welcoming, and works with Syrian refugees in our community. He has told me several people in his OWN church have the audacity to tell him he is not a Christian. Who the*#+* are other people to decide who is a Christian and who is not? This is why I shun religion entirely, just other people judging each other. Read your damn bibles, I believe there is a message about judging others and loving your neighbors.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm surprised by the results of this poll. If you carried it put just 10 years ago I imagine it would have been a lot different.
At one time I had a cousin that was married to the son of the most hated woman in America - Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Yes; attitudes have changed.

It is only in recent years that I have been able to even tell coworkers that I am an atheist. Fifty years ago somebody would have fought me or damaged my property simply because I told the truth. Attitudes do change; sometimes we just have to be patient.

One word of caution about voting for atheist; we are also human and we can make mistakes. Not all atheist are logical or smart. While I do not think that we should be overlooked to run for any position; I do think that we have to look at every individual, regardless of faith or faithlessness, for their successes and failures.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Not voting for an atheist would be as bad as not voting for somebody because they're a devout Christian or Hebrew or even a Moslem or Buddhist. If they're a Wiccan or a Satanist, then maybe you need to scrutinize their personal life a bit. The belief in a higher power might be a tie breaker in their benefit, but its not as important as honesty, integrity, mental health or human decency and compassion. Although none of those traits have mattered much the last several administrations and elections.
Wiccans and Satanists should not be lumped together. They are very different.

First of all, you appear to be assuming that all pagans are Wiccans, and they are not. They don't believe what I do, but I have no objections to them, or to their practices.

Satanism is different entirely, and the problem I have with it is the fact that its entire code of conduct is based on selfishness. It is very much about "what's best for me," up to and including revenge, and in some cases, doesn't even involve belief in an actual Devil. Please do some research.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:17 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
If he/she was an atheist that would most likely mean they were a godless hapless liberal. I will never vote for a leftist liberal Democrat if I lived to be 100.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Darn tootin right I'd vote for an atheist.

After I came out as an atheist at Sunday school, I was accosted by an angry bunch of my so called classmates, brandishing a bucket of tar, and a bag of feathers. Fortunately for me, i was well trained in the fighting arts and was able to knock them all unconscious - this taught me that believers are wicked and evil, and never to be trusted.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
"If he/she was an atheist that would most likely mean they were a godless hapless liberal. I will never vote for a leftist liberal Democrat if I lived to be 100."
Or perhaps it would mean someone with strong cognitive ability, and critical thinking skills. It would be terrible to have someone like that in power.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished".....Justin Brown
That is a very catchy quote. Unfortunately, it is also a false dichotomy. There is nothing to prevent a person who prays from taking action, nor to indicate that those who act never pray.

I'll not get into the history of hospitals, or who founded most of them, but I will point out Jimmy Carter's work with Habitat for Humanity.

As for Christians who care nothing about disease and poverty, well...what can I say, but that they are doing it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies