Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an atheist?
Yes 296 84.33%
No 55 15.67%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:57 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I wonder how many politicians are actually agnostics and are just giving lip service to religion for political purposes.
That would obviously fit Obama. Does anyone really think he's Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,101,935 times
I would if their politics match my ideology. I'd vote for anybody whose politics match my ideology.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:08 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,563,677 times
As a Pagan myself I would vote for an Atheist in a heartbeat. Religion has NO place in politics only a fool would mix the two.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 PM

15,809 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I wonder how many politicians are actually agnostics and are just giving lip service to religion for political purposes.

I'm sure most are agnostic but play the religious angle to drum up votes.

In fact, I bet most agnostics/atheists are the same in general. I have a number of friends who don't believe in religion, but play the part due to upsetting their significant other, parents, grandparents, etc.

To be honest, I've often gotten such negative feedback that I avoid the subject overall. Tell a Christian you are Jewish and they usually just move on. Tell one you are atheist and they take it personally as if it's a challenge to their beliefs.

Politics is about playing whatever angle gets you votes. Chances are, we've already had an atheist President. Bernie Sanders is/was Jewish, but now claims he's not involved with organized religion. Sounds like something I'd say when I don't feel like explaining my choice to be an atheist.

Anyway...off to Celebrate Easter weekend with my Family. Yeah...I could care less, but it's nice seeing everyone and getting some awesome home-cooked food.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,529,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That would obviously fit Obama. Does anyone really think he's Christian
So is he atheist or a secret Muslim? I hear both constantly...there is a difference in case you didn't know.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
No .
You can see the damage Obama did and you want another one?
Actions speak louder than words , Obama demonstrates no regard for God at all, in spite of any thing he might claim.
One post in... that's all it took...

One, even if Obama is an atheist, is the "damage" you speak of actually related to his personal faith?

Not that you're the kind of person who would think that much. I can tell by your callous and ignorant remarks that I may as well say this to a brick wall. All the same, this sort of idiocy does not go unnoticed to those of us who are thoughtful. Even the critics of Obama, and really, I have criticism of him too, wouldn't stoop to the point of blaming his personal faith. That's ridiculous and if you can't see that, I sincerely hope you won't be voting in the next election.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
So is he atheist or a secret Muslim? I hear both constantly...there is a difference in case you didn't know.
Don't know and don't care. Most all of my Liberal friends think he is an Atheist as he picked up church going when he got into politics. I'm an Atheist so I wouldn't hold that against him. I wouldn't lie about being a Christian but hey, he's a politician, that's what they do. He obviously won't say anything bad about Muslims. That's his families heritage so it's a given he is sympathetic.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 AM

24,411 posts, read 27,029,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yes? No? What if you agreed with their policies, but they were an open atheist? Genuinely curious about what those in this particular sub-forum think.
I'd prefer an atheist

Old 03-31-2017, 02:26 AM
Status: "If your kid loves drama, create drama!" (set 14 minutes ago)

19,813 posts, read 654,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Yes, their religious background isn't what I look at in a candidate. I look at their policies, platform, and voting record.
I agree. Someone's religious background should not be the "prominent" criterion (from among other criteria), singled out to base one's assessment of an individual's suitability to run for Public Office on.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,536,527 times
Although it would not be the defining characteristic upon which to cast my vote, I would prefer an atheist to a deeply religious person. I don't believe one's faith should influence politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies