Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 03:20 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times

Advertisements

People are also going to be upset when they lose there jobs at fast food restaurants etc from people with college degrees. Because if you can make $15 an hour in a low level skill job with less stress why would you want to work a job with stress for only 50-100 more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
People are also going to be upset when they lose there jobs at fast food restaurants etc from people with college degrees. Because if you can make $15 an hour in a low level skill job with less stress why would you want to work a job with stress for only 50-100 more?
It's OK. That will be the time to drum up support for more welfare.

The more upset they are, the more chances they will vote for Democrats who would offer free stuff as the expense of others.

The liberal politicians play the poor like a fiddle and the poor are cheering for being played. You would wonder why they are poor.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:38 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Obama's own CBO said it would cost jobs.

What's kinda funny are people crying for higher min wage but then not realizing that it will just creative more incentives to hire illegals and pay them less under the table.
Then go after those that hire illegals, we should already be doing that regardless of what the minimum wage is set at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If your college degree has only gotten you a $15/hr job, then you might want to get a degree in something that pays better because that isn't much money.

I love how people think $15/hr is some sort of high paying job.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:59 PM

548 posts, read 473,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
I am asking you what percentage of a raise are minimum wage workers getting by going from ten to fifteen dollars per hour.
It would be a 5.96% annual increase to go from $10 to $15 in 7 years.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Then go after those that hire illegals, we should already be doing that regardless of what the minimum wage is set at.

If your college degree has only gotten you a $15/hr job, then you might want to get a degree in something that pays better because that isn't much money.

It won't be after a little while. You'd better spend quickly before this liberal made inflation sets in.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It won't be after a little while. You'd better spend quickly before this liberal made inflation sets in.
You think inflation is liberal made? So what is your excuse for the increase with inflation for all those years minimum wage didn't go up? I can only take so much laughing with this thread because the nonsense some of you guys are writing is just too much.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:22 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post

These anti-minimum wage people dont know how the economy works. To suggest that employers will not do anything to keep their college educated employees from leaving is absurd. $15 creates a new floor for wages and will IMPROVE the bargaining power of workers making far more than that.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think this is a great measure. I particularly like pinning the wage hike to cost of living increases. My prediction is more people with more disposal income will be a great boon to the California economy, but of course some predict that this will be a job killer. Time will tell. I'm glad one state stepped forward and chose to be the experiment. If this goes well, we could finally see a reversal of the 40-year long declines in the standard of living for working Americans.

California lawmakers agree to a $15 minimum wage
In California, that still won't be enough, because everything is so much more expensive in CA. That's why we left. It's ridiculous. I honestly don't know how anyone can afford to live there. And my brother-in-law tells me that he was fined $500 for collecting rainwater off his roof in a rain barrel to water his garden!!! Rain water! You cannot collect rain water in CA!!!

Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Jump prices that fast... a look at previous liberal articles suggested a price jump of 10 cents... major economic issues over 10 cents?? it wasn't an issue when talking about minimum wage before, now its an issue when it gets implemented... funny...
column writers are NOT accountants, they only think they are. they tend to forget that the minimum wage does not affect just one sector, but ALL sectors, and a ten cent jump in price is based only on the cost of wages at the retail level. they forget that the suppliers are going to raise their prices, because their suppliers raise their prices, so that ten cent increase is going to be more like 50 cents or so.

and that is only fast food prices, what about furniture, grocery stores, hardware stores, gas stations, and on and on and on? you can bet that prices in california are going to go up across the board, and at every level as well.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In California, that still won't be enough, because everything is so much more expensive in CA. That's why we left. It's ridiculous. I honestly don't know how anyone can afford to live there. And my brother-in-law tells me that he was fined $500 for collecting rainwater off his roof in a rain barrel to water his garden!!! Rain water! You cannot collect rain water in CA!!!
Feel free to let your brother in law know that it has been legal to do so for a few years now....so you can collect rain water in California.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01120120AB1750
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies