Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
You mean the case where the University has now paid the student and undisclosed sum of money and has since changed their policies in regards to transgender?

University of Pittsburgh, transgender student settle lawsuit over locker room usage : Law & Society : Lawyer Herald
How is a federal judge upholding the expulsion "settling?" Is the student still expelled?
And there is no mention of any money being paid at all.

From another article on the issue:
Quote:
"No student has won such an argument [transgender-specific discrimination claim] in federal court"
Transgender Student Settles Locker Room Case With University Of Pittsburgh

Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartRes51 View Post
Mens and womens bathrooms are very different. Typically men use urinals which may or may not be partitioned. Women sit and have the "comfort" of partitioned walls and doors. We generally have to expose the entire bottom half of our bodies to "go" so its not that comfortable to do in front of everyone in the room. Im not worried about having to relieve myself in front of anyone and Im not afraid of transgendered people. I dont understand it, but they dont bother me. I'll sit in my stall and they can sit in their stall. Men and women also do not behave similarly in a dressing room setting. I believe men tend to be more "all out there" than women. We're a little more private. Do I want a woman with a penis staring at me? No. My reaction would depend on the conversation. People generally are people. I strike up conversations with people all the time, man or woman. Sometimes I get good responses, sometimes bad, sometimes none.

Like some others, Im more worried about the weirdo pervert who just wants to get into the ladies room to assault someone. Male or female they'd better find someone else to bother. I'll shoot their a**.
Speak for yourself, I never use the urinals in the men's room, I always go to one of the stalls where I have more privacy. Though I will say most men are capable of pulling out their penis to pee without exposing their butts to other men waiting to pee.

Would you want a woman with a vagina staring at you in the bathroom? It would creep my out if a man with a penis was staring at me while I went to the bathroom.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 PM

30,379 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
People should go to the restroom of the gender they identify as. It is much less safe for a transwoman or transman to go into the restroom of their biological sex than it is for me to unknowingly share a restroom or locker room with a transwoman.

People are hurt or killed for being trans. No one has been hurt by a transperson in a bathroom. One in 4 women is sexually assaulted in her lifetime - maybe we should be concerned about that? Applying the same logic that some hold towards transpeople in restrooms, allowing men out in public is just too much of a risk for women and children.
So I identify as a gender that wants to take a shower with hot women....so that should be my right?

Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
Some of you need to do some research on transgenderism, hormone wash theory, hermaphroditism, and xxy chromosomes.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:54 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
...hermaphroditism, and xxy chromosomes.
They doubtless exist. The confused others need to use their own public restrooms.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is a federal judge upholding the expulsion "settling?" Is the student still expelled?
And there is no mention of any money being paid at all.

From another article on the issue:
Transgender Student Settles Locker Room Case With University Of Pittsburgh

Let me give you a hand reading the article I linked.

Quote:
According to ABC News, the University of Pittsburgh just settled the lawsuit brought up by a transgender student, identified as Seamus Johnston. The student said he was expelled from Pitt-Johnstown following a dispute over his use of the men's locker room. Though there is a reported settlement happened on Wednesday between Johnston and the university, the details remain undisclosed.
In case you don't understand the term, Settlement, I have linked a definition for you.

As for how the school has handled this situation.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the school said in the joint statement with Johnston that it will ensure the gender identity of students will be well respected inside the campus.
Read more at University of Pittsburgh, transgender student settle lawsuit over locker room usage : Law & Society : Lawyer Herald

Another article for you that expands on this,

Quote:
While details of the agreement are confidential, a joint statement describes recent changes the school has adopted concerning transgender students, including rules that allow those students to use school restrooms that correspond with their gender identity.

The university also created gender-neutral housing, according to the statement, which added that the school will establish a working group to advise officials on transgender students’ access to gender-specific spaces that match their gender.

Transgender Student Settles Locker Room Case With University Of Pittsburgh - BuzzFeed News

Old 04-15-2016, 07:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
You should use the restroom of how you are identified now. The bathroom issue is a rather minor point in the LGBT rights issue. I dont understand the "penis" obsession. Presumably a transgendered woman would no longer have one. How about having a penis inspector to make sure they are using the right one. I believe Dennis Hastert will volunteer. (lol)

Last edited by pvande55; 04-15-2016 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 PM

30,379 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Speak for yourself, I never use the urinals in the men's room, I always go to one of the stalls where I have more privacy. Though I will say most men are capable of pulling out their penis to pee without exposing their butts to other men waiting to pee.

Would you want a woman with a vagina staring at you in the bathroom? It would creep my out if a man with a penis was staring at me while I went to the bathroom.
I don't mind actually if women want to use the men's bathroom and agree in theory if an actual confused sexually person wants to use whichever bathroom it's fine...the problem is that perverts are going to take advantage and go into the women's locker room to be a pervert. I also object to bullies outside of a state trying to force a state to do what they happen to prefer.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't mind actually if women want to use the men's bathroom and agree in theory if an actual confused sexually person wants to use whichever bathroom it's fine...the problem is that perverts are going to take advantage and go into the women's locker room to be a pervert. I also object to bullies outside of a state trying to force a state to do what they happen to prefer.
Yes, yes, I am sure you also think it is wrong for states to be forced to allow gay marriage as well.

Also, this law does nothing to prevent perverts from exposing themselves to others. Heck, a pervert can walk into a women's bathroom or locker room now and expose themselves to others. That person or W on the door doesn't actually stop someone from entering and exposing themselves.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Where are these restrooms that people are running around naked? In 40+ years of using the ladies room, I have never once seen another persons genitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies