Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 04:22 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying it...

It still provides a religion-based exemption: "religious or denominational institutions," "organizations operated for charitable or educational purposes operated, supervised or controlled by or in connection with a religious organization."

The Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act ("SONDA") | www.ag.ny.gov
Yes for churches and othe religious organizations, not businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Nope. That's Cuomo's "executive order." There is no state statute. NPR, the source I cited, is correct.
Here's the latest ACLU information on New York. It is not "purple" like other states that protect gender identity. I think the explanation is spelled out a little more clearly.

[url]https://www.aclu.org/map/non-discrimination-laws-state-state-information-map[/url]

Old 04-13-2016, 06:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 797,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
No, deeply held bigotry against Christians. I'll grant you that in todays America, that is encouraged and is VERY PC!
Why just homosexuality? Why not refuse to serve an adulterer or fornicater? Why stop at just homosexuality? Refuse service to anyone you deem a sinner or any race you deem unequal. Quit using religion and just state your a bigot.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/am9de6j_700b.jpg

Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
[quote=jjrose;43703278]I guess you missed the section about adoption, foster agencies, and doctors can deny service too. /quote]

you did not read the bill, the state cant stop a foster, adophtion or medical service, because a vendor refuse service.

what the bill is saying, the state of mississippi or any state or county agency cannot attack you, just because you denied service as a vendor only in a same sex wedding if its against your religion.

read the bill, I have posted it three times.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
[quote=brownbagg;43706481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I guess you missed the section about adoption, foster agencies, and doctors can deny service too. /quote]

you did not read the bill, the state cant stop a foster, adophtion or medical service, because a vendor refuse service.

what the bill is saying, the state of mississippi or any state or county agency cannot attack you, just because you denied service as a vendor only in a same sex wedding if its against your religion.

read the bill, I have posted it three times.
I directly QUOTED the law.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
And now Sharon Stone is pulling her short film out of MS.
Sharon Stone refuses to shoot film in MS, citing new bill - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Quote:
A movie starring actress Sharon Stone, set to be filmed in Mississippi in June, will now be shot elsewhere due to the religious accommodations law.

Stone and the producers plan to choose another location for the $300,000 production.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Instead of investing money to help people, these wealthy celebrities are turning their backs on the communities they say need protection.

I posted this on another thread, but it's what I've been talking about here. I always liked Cyndi Lauper!

[url=http://biznessweb.net/cyndi-lauper-im-fighting-anti-lgbt-laws-in-my-own-way/]Cyndi Lauper — I'm Fighting Anti-LGBT Laws in My Own Way | BiznessWeb: Last News in on place updated every hour[/url]

"Cyndi tells TMZ she will donate all profits from her June 4th show in Raleigh to Equality North Carolina — an organization fighting to get HB2 overturned. She says, “I think the best way I can do my part is to turn my show into an entire day to build public support to repeal HB2.” Her manager and agent will also donate their commissions."

People should show their support by showing up, not running away.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-13-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Why do LGBT's rights trump those of religious persons? Where is the authority for placing one protected group's rights over that of another protected group's rights in the Constitution?

IMO, this is an easily resolved conflict between equally protected classes: religious persons decline to engage in activities that violate their religion, and LGBTs patronize shops that have no objection to their status and choice to marry.

Free market at work.
Are you kidding. Human rights will always trump religion as it should be.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:02 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
Why just homosexuality? Why not refuse to serve an adulterer or fornicater? Why stop at just homosexuality? Refuse service to anyone you deem a sinner or any race you deem unequal. Quit using religion and just state your a bigot.
I don't believe in discriminating against gays. The only exception I'd make is that Pastors should not be forced to marry them. We all sin, but just like with fornication, homosexuality is not okay. I'm sick of it being promoted as an "alternative lifetsyle", as if the lingo makes it okay. Like any sin you or I commit, it needs to be repented of. Of course, if one buys into the lie that it's not a sin- no need to repent. We can all justify our behavior by pointing the finger at God or His followers, anything to avoid looking in the mirror and taking personal responsibility for our choices- right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies