Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 01:16 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,116,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
really. so you're saying Christianity is not taught while other religions are? where?

newsflash, being gay in NO WAY ON THIS EARTH infringes on your rights as a Christian or a human being.
Wake up- your bias against Christianity makes it impossible for you to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:24 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,100,137 times
soooooo what if you are BI?? or maybe tri? as married to 2,,, or just transvestite or look like you might be- but are NOT!

Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,559,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Wake up- your bias against Christianity makes it impossible for you to see.
I occasionally see news stories about Islam being taught in school as part of history. But I never saw a story where only Islam was being taught as part of a lesson, while no other religion was covered whatsoever.

I have 0 bias against Christians and I believe this is more faux outrage over absolutely nothing.

Some Christians have a problem with change and modernizing. That much is clear. But to claim that people are targeting Christians with discrimination is baloney.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:25 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,239,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Who determines what is a legitimate religious concern?

In the Piggy Park case he claim a legitimate religious concern in banning blacks from his business. The court thought otherwise. Why should one religious concern be any more valid than another in regards to businesses? Should some be allowed to refuse service to women based on religious beliefs? Should some be allowed to ban blacks based on their religious beliefs? Should some be allowed to ban Christians because they don't follow the "one true god"? I can create any "religious belief" that I want and use it to back up anything I want to do.

Where does it end?

There is a difference between banning someone because of their skin color for example, and refusing to have a role in a ceremony (gay marriage, for example) that you object to. The first one is against the law because skin color is a natural, unchosen condition. Likewise, you can't ban someone from coming into your store simply because they are gay. However, a NO person should have the power to COMPEL another to take part in an ACTION they find morally objectionable. If you think that people SHOULD have that power then you would have no objection to forcing a black owned bakery to bake a cake for the KKK that depicts the lynching of a black man, correct? Should a Jewish bakery be FORCED to bake a cake with a swastika on it for a neo-Nazi rally? Of course not.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:30 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,239,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The bill does no such thing. The only thing it accomplished is destroying the state's economy and making everyone view North Caroliners as even more backwards than they were before.

Ummmm... this thread is about a law passed in Mississippi... not North Carolina.

You're so deranged with fake outrage you don't even know what state or law you're talking about anymore.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:35 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
If this is truly a free country, I should have the freedom to decide who I want as a customer. The Government should stay out of peoples personal lives and feelings. If they get too involved then we have a system where the State makes all of our decisions for us.

Don

Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,734,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If this is truly a free country, I should have the freedom to decide who I want as a customer. The Government should stay out of peoples personal lives and feelings. If they get too involved then we have a system where the State makes all of our decisions for us.

Don
I would like it if stores posted who they want as customers. That way I'm an informed shopper.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,227,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
There is a difference between banning someone because of their skin color for example, and refusing to have a role in a ceremony (gay marriage, for example) that you object to. The first one is against the law because skin color is a natural, unchosen condition. Likewise, you can't ban someone from coming into your store simply because they are gay. However, a NO person should have the power to COMPEL another to take part in an ACTION they find morally objectionable. If you think that people SHOULD have that power then you would have no objection to forcing a black owned bakery to bake a cake for the KKK that depicts the lynching of a black man, correct? Should a Jewish bakery be FORCED to bake a cake with a swastika on it for a neo-Nazi rally? Of course not.
Baking a cake does not require involvement in any ceremony. Selling rings does not require the jeweler to be involved in the ceremony. Selling a suit or a dress does not require the store owner to be involved in the ceremony. They are all business transactions. Just like the butcher selling me a steak is not involved in my cook out he was involved in a business transaction.

As for the Jewish bakery, if they OFFER swastika cakes, then they should sell them to anyone. But they can't say I'll sell swastika cakes to person A, but not to person B. Same goes for the lynching cake. If the baker has that type of cake in their shop, then they should sell that cake to anyone that wants one.
If a baker OFFERS 3 tier white cakes with sugar flowers and raspberry filling, then they should sell it to anyone.

If the baker finds the ACTION of baking cakes morally objectionable, then they shold probably not be in the baking business.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,227,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
There have been anti discrimination laws regarding public accommodations since the civil rights act.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,397,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then how do such religious people make sure they don't associate with gays, such as having gays as customers in their businesses? Do they ask, "Are you gay?" before dealing with them?
Or "Are you a virgin?" or 'Are you divorced?" or "Are you an adulterer?" etc etc

Last edited by Ceist; 04-07-2016 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies