Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 12:03 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Who is being prevented from exercising their religion, business transactions have not one thing to do with religious freedom.
Yours is the popular opinion. To a business owner who believes marriage is a holy institution, a sacrament, a union of a female and male before God, a business transaction that facilitates a ssm can seriously infringe on their beliefs. I could give other examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Yours is the popular opinion. To a business owner who believes marriage is a holy institution, a sacrament, a union of a female and male before God, a business transaction that facilitates a ssm can seriously infringe on their beliefs. I could give other examples.
Then they should not offer wedding cakes for sale.

I can give examples of businesses claiming that their religious beliefs forbade them from serving everyone too, the courts don't seem to side with them.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Finished huffing and puffing? Pretty sad to go to such lengths defending a state that's so backward, and yet seems to revel in it. Mississippi is the kind of state that needs federal intervention, for its own good.
I had a geology professor in college who, at one time, had worked on the oil rigs out in the Gulf out of Louisiana. He used to say, "If they ever have to give America an enema, Louisiana is the place." I think he had the wrong state.

Last edited by phetaroi; 04-14-2016 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As applied to intestate and international commerce. Because the Constitution grants the federal government no right to interfere in intraststa commerce matters.

Exactly. LGBT is NOT a federally protected class. One must wonder why Obama and the Dems refused/neglected to include them as a protected class in 2009-2011 when they had the Presidency, House, and Senate.
Well, that's sort of like when I wonder how the Republicans keep saying they are a party of a "big tent", and yet they do virtually nothing of substance within their party to actually have a "big tent".

Old 04-14-2016, 12:30 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Allowing businesses to determine who they will serve based on religious beliefs is a very slippery slope. How far do you go with that, do you refuse to serve divorcees, people that drink alcohol or sleep around. The other part is how do they even determine if they are selling to a same sex couple in most instances, some may be pretty obvious, others not so much.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I don't believe in discriminating against gays. The only exception I'd make is that Pastors should not be forced to marry them. We all sin, but just like with fornication, homosexuality is not okay. I'm sick of it being promoted as an "alternative lifetsyle", as if the lingo makes it okay. Like any sin you or I commit, it needs to be repented of. Of course, if one buys into the lie that it's not a sin- no need to repent. We can all justify our behavior by pointing the finger at God or His followers, anything to avoid looking in the mirror and taking personal responsibility for our choices- right?
And therein lies your problem. You think that everyone in the world has your Christian viewpoint. You need to get out more and begin to realize that there are other moral viewpoints in the world...not to mention other Christian viewpoints in the world.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have you read the First Amendment? Where are human rights listed?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so you finally admit that you don't feel that human rights are important. Why didn't you just say that 64 pages ago.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Who is being prevented from exercising their religion, business transactions have not one thing to do with religious freedom.
It is to people who see money as their God.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There is more than one way to protest. Cyndi Lauper is doing it one way. Another way is for celebrities to stay away, in the hope that the people who lose money will pressure the legislature to repeal the law. Both are legitimate and both can be effective.
I agree, and it's the right thing to do, but it's also the easiest way out IMO. I think what Cyndi Lauper is doing by performing in NC and donating all the proceeds in much more effective, however. I know from experience that there are plenty of people who say they believe in something (i.e., more affordable housing, a halfway house, food banks) and will write a check or sign a petition, as long as it's not in their backyard.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree, and it's the right thing to do, but it's also the easiest way out IMO. I think what Cyndi Lauper is doing by performing in NC and donating all the proceeds in much more effective, however. I know from experience that there are plenty of people who say they believe in something (i.e., more affordable housing, a halfway house, food banks) and will write a check or sign a petition, as long as it's not in their backyard.
I'm sure Mississippi will see all manner of protests before it repeals this statute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies