Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 01:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Allowing businesses to determine who they will serve based on religious beliefs is a very slippery slope. How far do you go with that, do you refuse to serve divorcees, people that drink alcohol or sleep around. The other part is how do they even determine if they are selling to a same sex couple in most instances, some may be pretty obvious, others not so much.
You would have to. How a Christian baker can make a divorce cake or a common-law marriage cake but not a wedding cake for homosexuals is beyond me. You either are a Christian who turns the other cheek (something I'd prefer) or you criticize all the sinners (even though you should hate the sin, not the person committing it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Instead of investing money to help people, these wealthy celebrities are turning their backs on the communities they say need protection.

I posted this on another thread, but it's what I've been talking about here. I always liked Cyndi Lauper!

Cyndi Lauper — I'm Fighting Anti-LGBT Laws in My Own Way | BiznessWeb: Last News in on place updated every hour

"Cyndi tells TMZ she will donate all profits from her June 4th show in Raleigh to Equality North Carolina — an organization fighting to get HB2 overturned. She says, “I think the best way I can do my part is to turn my show into an entire day to build public support to repeal HB2.” Her manager and agent will also donate their commissions."

People should show their support by showing up, not running away.
It still generates tax revenue for an opresive state. As I mentioned before in a reply, it's no win. The BEST way is to re-route tours and also donate to these causes anyway. Donating the proceeds from a show in that state still gives the state their cut. Some people never learn do they?

Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It still generates tax revenue for an opresive state. As I mentioned before in a reply, it's no win. The BEST way is to re-route tours and also donate to these causes anyway. Donating the proceeds from a show in that state still gives the state their cut. Some people never learn do they?
When you take away revenue, you are also hurting programs to help the needy. In most cases, when a state begins to lose money, the wealthy aren't the ones who suffer. You are also punishing people who support LGBT rights, including the LGBT community.

So I guess while you're calling me an idiot, you're also calling Cyndi Lauper and Jimmy Buffet one too.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
When you take away revenue, you are also hurting programs to help the needy. In most cases, when a state begins to lose money, the wealthy aren't the ones who suffer. You are also punishing people who support LGBT rights, including the LGBT community.

So I guess while you're calling me an idiot, you're also calling Cyndi Lauper and Jimmy Buffet one too.

Maybe the legislature should have thought about the lost revenue before passing the law. Not that it really matters, because MS already is in debt, and cutting education and social service funding all the time.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Cyndi Lauper is not even that good IMHO. All I am saying is a state that writes laws like this deserve economic fallout. Arizona faced it with SB-1070 and acsin wifh a similar bill to this one in Mississippi. Protesting while performing for money in that state don't work, economic boycotting does. Despite Arizona's stupidity, their bill never got passed due to threats of economic boycott.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Let the businesses cater to whomever they wish. This shouldn't even be an issue. The public will decide whether to support those businesses or not. If someone won't bake you a cupcake, go find someone else who will. The government doesn't need to step in and decide for any of us how we're going to live our lives and run our businesses.

Shame on the gays for bringing this upon us.
Shame on the religious people for the same thing.
Now more than ever we have government dictating our actions. That was never their job to do. We left England to get away from a King. But now we have thousands of kings.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Let the businesses cater to whomever they wish. This shouldn't even be an issue. The public will decide whether to support those businesses or not. If someone won't bake you a cupcake, go find someone else who will. The government doesn't need to step in and decide for any of us how we're going to live our lives and run our businesses.

Shame on the gays for bringing this upon us.
Shame on the religious people for the same thing.
Now more than ever we have government dictating our actions. That was never their job to do. We left England to get away from a King. But now we have thousands of kings.
You might want to look into the civil rights act and the reason for it when discussing businesses being able to serve whomever they wish.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then they should not offer wedding cakes for sale.

I can give examples of businesses claiming that their religious beliefs forbade them from serving everyone too, the courts don't seem to side with them.
At least you acknowledge that business transactions can impinge upon religious beliefs. Your solution is one option. I recall a hotel in Vermont refused to host a ssm reception, was sued, lost, and then refused to host any wedding receptions.

The courts have placed religious beliefs below statutory non-discrimination laws. That's what I said in the first place.

So, while employers are required to make 'reasonable' accommodations for an employee's religious beliefs, business owners receive little accommodation for their religious beliefs.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You might want to look into the civil rights act and the reason for it when discussing businesses being able to serve whomever they wish.

Nobody is refusing to serve homosexuals. It is about having the right to refuse certain requests made by homosexuals...or anyone else for that matter. Those decisions should remain with the business owner, not the customer and certainly not the government.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:27 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nobody is refusing to serve homosexuals. It is about having the right to refuse certain requests made by homosexuals...or anyone else for that matter. Those decisions should remain with the business owner, not the customer and certainly not the government.
"Certain requests" like a cake from a baker or a meal from a restaurant or a room in a hotel. Damn Gays always demanding special treatment that nobody else does wherever they go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies