Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 PM

34,188 posts, read 17,261,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Plenty states will never cave with allowing men in bathrooms with their daughters , moms & wives. Not happening. Springsteen's concerts add up to a trickle of p#ss in a trillion dollar economy.

The low GDP states would not, but doubt any performer cares what they do. Those states economies are that trickle you described, and truly do not matter.

The states with more population and higher GDP will do whatever it takes to protect their economic power.

Indiana wants NCAA tourneys, so it caved. Az (Phoenix metro) is driven by tourism $, so it caved.The new NC economic power which isn't in hayseed , rural NC will drive NC to comply. Chase the $$$$, it determines policy.

NC will cave as these 5 are just the start of the boycott, and they know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:33 PM

6,597 posts, read 6,780,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The low GDP states would not, but doubt any performer cares what they do. Those states economies are that trickle you described, and truly do not matter.

The states with more population and higher GDP will do whatever it takes to protect their economic power.

Indiana wants NCAA tourneys, so it caved. Az (Phoenix metro) is driven by tourism $, so it caved.The new NC economic power which isn't in hayseed , rural NC will drive NC to comply. Chase the $$$$, it determines policy.

NC will cave as these 5 are just the start of the boycott, and they know it.
It's about more than money.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
It's about more than money.
No, it isn't. Arenas must be filled. $$$$$$$ are why.

Terry Rakolta 27 years ago was the template for these boycotts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Rakolta

Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't. Arenas must be filled.

Terry Rakolta 25 years ago was the template for these boycotts.
Arenas must be filled, lol, sure. A concert is a nothingburger to any state economy.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Arenas must be filled, lol, sure. A concert is a nothingburger to any state economy.
Nonsense. Tn goes bananas when Bridgestone runs deficits. Hotels hurt, bars and restaurants hurt, real domino affect.

When the NHL struck, we lost tens of millions in ancilliary revenue, and much of downtown restaurants and bars failed to survive.

When Bridgestone held NCAA womens tourney, hotels 30 miles around were full at triple their normal rates. UConn alone sent 50 busloads to the 3 day event. Figure 6,000 room nights at $250avg right there. $1.5 million..one school.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Tn goes bananas when Bridgestone runs deficits. Hotels hurt, bars and restaurants hurt, real domino affect.

When the NHL struck, we lost tens of millions in ancilliary revenue, and much of downtown restaurants and bars failed to survive.
In your world money is God, I get it....other places & people, not so much. As I said & you agreed with, many states will never cave to allowing their female family members to be exposed to this sickness. If you think any law, no matter how foolish, will be passed because the likes of some "rock star" will not sing there then you have a narrow view of historical reality.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
In your world money is God, I get it....other places & people, not so much. As I said & you agreed with, many states will never cave to allowing their female family members to be exposed to this sickness. If you think any law, no matter how foolish, will be passed because the likes of some "rock star" will not sing there then you have a narrow view of historical reality.
It isn't a rock star, its $$$$$$ doing it...same reason Indiana and Az (last 2 wingnut law states) caved.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
It isn't a rock star, its $$$$$$ doing it...same reason Indiana and Az (last 2 wingnut law states) caved.
And I explained to you that there are many states & people who will draw a line & give up the dollars for moral or ethical reasons. You agreed to that with me earlier, so your point does not stand.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
And I explained to you that there are many states & people who will draw a line & give up the dollars for moral or ethical reasons. You agreed to that with me earlier, so your point does not stand.
Low GDP states may, but filling a barn in the Dakotas is not what stars do.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 PM

865 posts, read 625,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I really don't think canceling one show is going to hurt Springsteen.
I really don't think canceling one show is going to hurt North Carolina.

...fixed it for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies