Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,180,885 times

Advertisements

First of all, none of the BLM protesters at Mizzou were "thugs". Maybe some of you should (re)enroll into school, so you can learn the definitions of words and when to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He was probably likely to retire either way, but the incidents that happened and the pressure he was under after backing his players (not just from inside Missouri, but from the NCAA who was pretty pissed about the involvement of the football team) probably help sway his decision to retire.

If he had stayed much longer, it would have been difficult to get Barry Odom to take over from him. The fact that Odom did get the head coaching job shows that the University was okay with Pinkel.

It is worth noting that Mizzou is having by far its worst recruiting year since joining the SEC, but that is also understandable with the coaching change. In particular, they had a string of high profile decommits in December. Several cited safety as a major concern in their decommit, but they were also all African-American players, so they likely meant safety from racist attacks rather than safety from protestors.
Pinkel's decision to retire was made after last year's spring game, and the events on campus had nothing, nothing to do with his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It is not. What hurt Mizzou is that they've had racial issues on campus ever since I can remember. I had friends who actually went there and had problems. If racism goes unchecked you will develop issues like what's at Mizzou. Whats so hard to understand?
Yeah, I actually went to school there, and the racial problems were bad. The only other university where I've personally been to/seen that's almost as bad is Texas A&M.

That's why I have to chuckle at all these posters who know nothing of the issues, blame the protesters for having the audacity to vocalize the problems, and continue to have their collective heads buried in their....the sand.

None of this would've happened if the MU Administration had actually given a rat's arse about these students' concerns. So, Mizzou may be getting what they deserve, but it is not the fault of the students who voiced the issues, that were happening on campus, even when I was there (graduated in 2012).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,679,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He was probably likely to retire either way, but the incidents that happened and the pressure he was under after backing his players (not just from inside Missouri, but from the NCAA who was pretty pissed about the involvement of the football team) probably help sway his decision to retire.

If he had stayed much longer, it would have been difficult to get Barry Odom to take over from him. The fact that Odom did get the head coaching job shows that the University was okay with Pinkel.

It is worth noting that Mizzou is having by far its worst recruiting year since joining the SEC, but that is also understandable with the coaching change. In particular, they had a string of high profile decommits in December. Several cited safety as a major concern in their decommit, but they were also all African-American players, so they likely meant safety from racist attacks rather than safety from protestors.
Take it from a Syracuse alum. The Syracuse Eight boycotted in the early 70s, due to a whole host of conditions; racial treatment, proper health care, etc. It was an obviously hostile environment. The players were blackballed. Syracuse's rep took a bit recruiting hit, for about a decade and a half! The University, in 2008, offered an formal apology to the players.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:10 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, I actually went to school there, and the racial problems were bad.
Okay ... just what were the racial problems in 2012?

El Nox

Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,180,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Okay ... just what were the racial problems in 2012?

El Nox
Yeah...when this story was a hot topic on this forum, I spent days talking about things that happened on campus from 2008-12, and I'm not getting back into it. Feel free to look those threads up.

The biggest takeaway from all of this is, out of the three sides here, those who caused the racial tension, the protesters and the MU administration who ignored multiple concerns of undergrads and grad students, it's the BLM protesters who are being blamed for everything. And I'm not even a supporter of BLM, but the leader of the protests is one of my friend, and I don't appreciate people calling him a thug, considering how he and his family are successful.

Not surprising.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,915,697 times
Quote:
First of all, none of the BLM protesters at Mizzou were "thugs". Maybe some of you should (re)enroll into school, so you can learn the definitions of words and when to use them.

Pinkel's decision to retire was made after last year's spring game, and the events on campus had nothing, nothing to do with his decision.

Yeah, I actually went to school there, and the racial problems were bad. The only other university where I've personally been to/seen that's almost as bad is Texas A&M.

That's why I have to chuckle at all these posters who know nothing of the issues, blame the protesters for having the audacity to vocalize the problems, and continue to have their collective heads buried in their....the sand.

None of this would've happened if the MU Administration had actually given a rat's arse about these students' concerns. So, Mizzou may be getting what they deserve, but it is not the fault of the students who voiced the issues, that were happening on campus, even when I was there (graduated in 2012).
It's the usual posters who are uniformed and think Rascism doesn't exist and that BLM or anything other organizations just popped up out of no where to start trouble. The Internet is the best way to see how Americans really feel about certain groups of people.

They still can't come to grips that there are serious racial problems in this country especially at these majority white schools. They feel it's BLM are ruthless thugs. When you mention what's going on most of these posters will deflect from the issue by bringing up black on black crime etc. it's just sad

Last edited by Staysean23; 04-18-2016 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,212,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the last year, the transfer rate for students wanting to leave Mizzou and attend another school, has been record setting for any college.

I wonder how many alumni will stop donating time and money to the university now?

Old 04-18-2016, 01:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leftists destroy everything they become a part of.

They manipulated their mothers as a kid the same way.... It accomplished their goal, to get what they want.

Throwing a temper tantrum at 5, no longer gets your ass tore up. So at 13, the same temper tantrum, get them what they want. then 17 it is still doing its job. By 25, they have it down to an art.

Remember.... The world revolves around them, with no accountability.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,972 times
Quote:
Yeah...when this story was a hot topic on this forum, I spent days talking about things that happened on campus from 2008-12, and I'm not getting back into it. Feel free to look those threads up.
Before I spend one second on your ridiculous answer I suggest YOU go back and read/reread the article in the OP. Somehow, I don't think you will.

Quote:
The biggest takeaway from all of this is, out of the three sides here, those who caused the racial tension, the protesters and the MU administration who ignored multiple concerns of undergrads and grad students, it's the BLM protesters who are being blamed for everything.
Go back and read/reread the OP article.

Quote:
And I'm not even a supporter of BLM, but the leader of the protests is one of my friend, and I don't appreciate people calling him a thug, considering how he and his family are successful.
Well, since your "friend" is a leader of the protests ... you might want to get a higher quality of "friend". According to the article, which I am sure you have not read/reread, your friend is tearing down what MLK and the rest of the civil rights movement stood/stands for. And YES, your leader friend is nothing short of a thug for trying to destroy what up til now was an honorable movement. BTW, since you refuse to state what the 2012 problems were and mention that things in Texas were worse, I again ask for enlightenment on just what those problems were and add to that how the solutions the thugs want will make those problems get better.

El Nox

Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,986,035 times
Quote:

First thing I have noticed is many White people don't think about nor are they offended by BLM slogan or their documented objective. The ones who are offended are mostly easily led and misguided by media.

Many of these people commenting are not very smart and have no desire to think for themselves and don't care to hear the truth. They just want to talk about Black people in a negative way because it makes them feel good.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,868,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Saw this a few weeks ago. The BLM idiots think this is because of students boycotting Mizzou to support them.

Well, BLM certainly doesn't stand for "Bright" Lives Matter, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies