Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I have a place in the country, neighbor got busted growing 40 plants. He had his 80 acres stolen from him and the proceeds from the sale divided up amongst local, county and state authorities. The term " legal plunder" as used by Bastiat came to mind as I watched this mans land being auctioned off.
It's nauseating what america has turned into.
It's not often I give you rep, but you earned it here.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So this vet chose to break the law by growing marijuana, then using marijuana, then got caught, then was sentenced to prison and it is the courts fault he is in jail for the rest of his life?
Okay, well, perhaps this vet should have made better choices that were not against the law.
Maybe you should've done what the vet did and helped this country. Maybe he did more than you did for this country.

Don't know you, just saying. Grow up. Adults don't need nannies.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Depending on the state you live in, you can end your life in jail, or get no punishment at all, by growing a few plants. Marajuana doesn't become a menace to society according to the state it's grown in. The drug laws need to be consistent, set at a national level.

'76-year-old disabled veteran Lee Carroll Brooker will live out what should be his golden years behind bars — for simple possession of cannabis.

Brooker had been treating chronic conditions with cannabis he grew in his son’s backyard; officials in Alabama discovered three dozen plants, they threw him in prison for life — without the possibility of parole.

In other words, the prosecutor railroaded Brooker over his personal, medicinal plants — by choice. Brooker, eventually rose to the rank of sergeant in the 82nd Airborne — where he was decorated for infantry service.

even “notoriously conservative” Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore characterized Brooker’s sentence as “excessive and unjustified.” the judge would have preferred to hand down a lighter sentence, but was obligated to enforce the letter of the law.

After Fighting for Freedom, 76-yo Vet Sentenced to Die In Prison for Treating His Illness With Cannabis
If he was a law abiding citizen, he would not be in prison.

It is not complicated.

If you must do drugs, move to a place where it is legal. Don't do it where it is illegal, especially if your State has mandatory sentencing guidelines.

3 lb of pot for personal use?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

It is not complicated.

If you must do drugs, move to a place where it is legal.
Happily, that place will be here in the U.S. in a few short years, at least when it comes to marijuana. As should have been the case all along. Marijuana prohibition has been as pointless and ineffectual as alcohol prohibition was nearly 100 years ago. Legalization is long overdue.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, it will be, and quite soon. But not soon enough for the millions of lives these asinine laws have destroyed.
It really, really

really bothers me.

Especially when politicians have stolen so much $$$, lied under oath etc which are far more detrimental to our country, and still walk the streets. Hell, the past 3 presidents have used drugs but still locked people up for it.

That's why people don't respect stupid laws.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The law is the law. Do not like the law then change it. But do not break it. Unless you can to do the time.
How bout you go and change that law Felix

Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
With profit motives like that, one does not have to ponder very long to come up with why notmeofficer (a police officer in California) is so dead set against legalization.

Back when I lived in Oklahoma, I was personally told by an OBN (Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics) agent that a guy who lived not too far north of me, in a paid for, very nice house in a well-to-do neighborhood, was going to lose his house because he was caught with one plant growing in his back yard. The agent was quite candid about how they seek out such busts because that money (or a portion of it at least) goes directly into their department to buy guns, vests, cars, and all the other equipment needed to continue such carnage.

I would have been a victim myself, except that my house was "mortgaged to the hilt" (his words), so there would not have been enough profit in it for them to seize, err steal, my house.
What a thug. Needs to get a real job.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
a modern day red coat..King George would have loved to have you on his side
Ah progress!!!

Can we get both sides to call out the Red Coats?? We were rolling the Dems until the media/gov got involved.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

It is not complicated.

If you must do drugs, move to a place where it is legal. Don't do it where it is illegal, especially if your State has mandatory sentencing guidelines.

3 lb of pot for personal use?
One thing that I think goes right over your head is that it would not be legal anywhere if it were not for us lawbreakers. Between draconian laws that do not even allow research and the very effective brainwashing campaign, the truth would have been buried for many more decades, or even centuries. When laws are as deeply rooted in corruption as the Marihuana Tax Stamp Act of 1937 is, breaking that law on a massive scale is the only way to make progress towards getting it changed.

It is the law that is the problem here, not the plant. I applaud this vet, and if I lived in his state I would take a very active role in getting him released.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It really, really

really bothers me.

Especially when politicians have stolen so much $$$, lied under oath etc which are far more detrimental to our country, and still walk the streets. Hell, the past 3 presidents have used drugs but still locked people up for it.

That's why people don't respect stupid laws.
yeah agreed

The global war on drugs has been a catastrophic failure. We hand criminal networks hundreds of billions of pounds . dollars a year. What has it achieved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies