Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Someday it will be realized that "You can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse" no matter how much money or resource you throw at it.
I doubt it. The "sow's ears" are a significant percentage of the population, and as such, have a lot of votes.

Who are the "Sow's Ears?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
True. Same with sending financial aid to any other country.
I consider that under the umbrella of "maintaining a global empire". The US government isn't pouring dizzying sums of money into foreign countries because they're such nice guys.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Call the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I think we all know of people personally that if they were given a million bucks and education on how to make it last it would still be gone next week with nothing to show for it.

It seems like many think that capitalism is a bad thing. Bernie Sanders wants to dismantle Wall Street. Big business makes America work.

Yah, there are people who seem to be wastrels. No matter what you put into their hands, it's gone. Which is one reason I'd prefer to see educational assistance be precisely that - tuition paid, help with textbooks, as long as the grades are kept up (a B minimum? We can set what the minimum expectation is.)

As for making the US (I assume) work - how did that work before there was Big Business in the US (I figure we're talking the railroad, steel, coal, oil, telegraph & etc. combines). Those didn't come about until the Civil War, as I recall. Did the US not work up until then? & if it did, & if Big Business wasn't around @ that time - Who was doing all the work?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:46 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Define economic powerhouse? China has grown the fastest in history since 2000 and it has done it with mostly a command style economy. Some of you folks need to take off your star spangled glasses and realize the world is fluid.
Has nothing to do with deadbeats with their hands perpetually outstretched demanding more free stuff.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:12 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Why the US is the top World weapons vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well stop spending billions of not trillions trying to fix every nation around the world first...

Then we can talk about what's spent on Americans.
Most US foreign aid is military - which means that the recipient country gets credits, which it has to spend on US hardware. That's how Egypt, for instance, has M1A tanks, Humvees, arty, Strykers (?), F-16s, F-15s & etc. A further stipulation in transporting the goods is that they have to be shipped in US hulls (that may have changed by now). Food & development aid is similar - countries get credits, which they can spend for food & services from US suppliers.

Relatively little money is spent by US gov. outside of these channels. The US-based NGOs now - that's a different story. But official US foreign aid isn't much (as a % of the total US budget), & it mostly goes to the US military-industrial-Congressional money/patronage machine. See

National insecurity : the cost of American militarism / Melvin A.Goodman, 1938- c2013, City Lights Books, San Francisco

Subjects

Notes
  • American militarism, costs and consequences -- President Eisenhower's legacy -- George H.W. Bush's New World Order -- Clinton's problems with the Pentagon -- Bush's surrender to the Pentagon -- President Obama's deference to the military -- The Pentagon's grip on the intelligence community -- The Pentagon's phantom missile defense -- Defense spending: Eisenhower's "cross of iron" -- What needs to be done.[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Length
  • 461 pages ; index, chapter notes. No photos nor maps.[SIZE
Very good on the politicization of intelligence (CIA), & then the militarization of intelligence, foreign policy (to the detriment of nuclear arms control & anti-proliferation, USIA - the dismantling of the two under B. Clinton) even as budget constraints & poor foreign policy decisions strain our ability to project military power into Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. An excellent read from a long time professional intel insider.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Have you achieved anything special?
Lol. Right?

Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Has nothing to do with deadbeats with their hands perpetually outstretched demanding more free stuff.
How do you figure? Do you think China doesn't give out hand outs? Lol.... Read a book before you type something.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
LOL @ "rich kid leaves the house and gets a Pell Grant". I can tell you right now, it does not work that way. Aid is based on parental income. Even though I was independent and did everything I could to declare that I had no support from my parents (which was true), I still got denied. Your parents pretty much have to be dead, or you have to marry or have a baby, in order to be judged independently before the age of 26. I was 17 at the time.

What's more accurate is that financially well-to-do families generally help out themselves. So you're right the kids get an advantage that way. But the burden isn't on the taxpayers.
I got financial aid at 22, I just had to have my own address and not live with my parents. After I was on my own, paying my own rent and bills they judged me independent. My parent's income never came into question.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:02 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Well, it is what it is, and the American form of government allows it, and will allow
more of it, as the voting population changes demographically to reflect the booming
population of welfare recipients.
Nothing can be done about this, without a suspension of democratic representation.
Americans who spend all their time trying to make more money don't have as many
children. Americans who have children while poor learn that they can have children
and work less.
To some, kids are a high expense. To others, they are a financial blessing.

It's over. Sure, some states are less generous, but the trend is toward
a collectivized system which takes care of everyone. This cannot be
defeated electorally because the demographics are shifting.
Even the Republican front-runner does not advocate any cuts in welfare
or state-sponsored entitlements.
You won't see someone who does win another election in the US.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Is it any coincidence that as we move towards a more technological that we increase handouts? In a span of two hundreds we have gone from an agrarian society to an industrialized one.

The ignorant and clueless will complain about deadbeats but they are narrowly focused and lack the perspective to see the forest through the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies