Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times

Advertisements

An interesting viewpoint:

“The war on drugs was a failure, I should know as I once led it,” said Steve Downing, a former LAPD deputy chief. “Our policies have done more harm to people and community than marijuana. We demonize people. We unnecessarily criminalized people.”
California voters getting chance to fully legalize marijuana

Downing said research has shown marijuana isn’t a “gateway drug.”
“Marijuana's continued criminalization benefits the cartels, street gangs -- they are the ones regulating it now,” he said. “When prohibition on alcohol ended it killed off the businesses of men like Al Capone. The same will happen here.”
The former deputy chief argues that police now waste thousands of hours dealing with minor pot possession cases instead of chasing serious crime on the streets

Just say yes: Some California law enforcement leaders support legalizing recreational pot - LA Times

Also, looks like California better ramp up their power grid:

As the first city in Southern California to legalize large-scale medical marijuana cultivation, Desert Hot Springs has been inundated by marijuana growers and developers. They are buying up dusty desert land — some with no utilities or roads — in hopes of cashing in as California's marijuana growers come into the open under new state regulations.
"It's pretty chaotic," said Coachella Valley real estate broker Marc Robinson. "I'm getting tons of calls from all over the world, all over the United States. My newest clients flew over from Germany."

This California desert town is experiencing a marijuana boom - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Typical As Pot-Growing Expands, Electricity Demands Tax U.S. Grids - Bloomberg

Granny twelve plant permit sign off process requires nanny meter in the grow house...which is how we know the excessive use of dope growing.. This is just but another issue with enablement
It's just another industry.

Not a problem for me though - Sunshine and a watering can every couple of days, is about the extent of my environmental demands.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But here we go with the two wrongs make a right! I have seen enough pot use in my 69 years. My best friend's son died in his early fifties - pot and alcohol (maybe other drugs). The son had not lived in the real world for years and when he inherited his father's money he did not last one year. My brother-in-law had the same problem - inherited money and then quickly died. While I cannot blame pot exclusively; it is part of the lifestyle that contributed to their deaths.

Proponents of pot try to paint this picture about how the drug affects everybody the exact same way. I watched one young woman that became so paranoid she was going to jump out the window. We had friends that used and came over to our house to visit. I had my mother's coffee ground cake in the refrigerator that we had not touched for the last two weeks - we knew better and it should have been thrown out will all of the mold on it! We were not watching my friend and did not see him eat the coffee cake until he was down to the last bite - he told us it was the best cake he ever ate! We were surprised he survived!

More than any of this I worry about the message we send to our young as more states and our Country move towards legalization. The kids of users will see their parents smiling/laughing and having a great time - but they will not see them losing their jobs or the pain and suffering from car accidents. They will associate drugs with only fun and not pain.

The people you mention have addictive personalities and can't control themselves. They are weak

Old 05-13-2016, 01:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Typical As Pot-Growing Expands, Electricity Demands Tax U.S. Grids - Bloomberg

Granny twelve plant permit sign off process requires nanny meter in the grow house...which is how we know the excessive use of dope growing.. This is just but another issue with enablement
You are a propagandist. That article is very careful not to put the numbers into proper context. For instance in Denver...

Denver marijuana grows used just 1.85 percent of the city's overall electricity in 2013. - See more at: How Much Electricity Does It Take To Grow Marijuana? Colo. Cities Are Finding Out | CPR
or.

According to Black Hills Energy, which provides power to the city of Pueblo and parts of Pueblo County, 10 grow facilities used 2.1 million kWh in 2014. That's 0.1 percent of the energy that Black Hills delivered to its Pueblo coverage area. - See more at: How Much Electricity Does It Take To Grow Marijuana? Colo. Cities Are Finding Out | CPR
And the use can be vastly reduced by the simple strategy of growing pot in green houses. And all that takes is the removal of regulations that forbid it.

Still await your views on THC and AAA views they do not correlate with impairment.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:59 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed-

The pot users are in denial that they are using a sedative hypnotic drug for a buzz. That is it.
It's hardly denial, the whole purpose of using pot is to get a buzz.

Quote:
In no way, shape, or form could any rational human being argue that use of sedative hypnotic drug IMPROVES cognitive or motor function- no way. Such presumptions are absurd and are in direct contrast with cognitive and motor evaluations of those smoking pot while intoxicated.
So you've never prescribed benzodiazepines, tricyclic, or tetracyclics, opioids, barbiturates, methaqualone, Trazodone, or any of a number of other sedative or hypnotics to improve people's ability to function? Which would in part improve their ability for cognition and coordination.

Further can you explain to the viewers at home, how the actual neurological effects of say Adderall and methamphetamine differ? Because I know that pretty much every PCP has to have provided at least one Rx for either Ritalin or Adderall (which is heavily marketed in it's XR flavor, and if you're military, it's pretty ubiquitous).

Again it's not about while intoxicated, it's about use, no one has said that pot does not affect people's cognition and motor control skills, however there is much argument to the sum total effect in comparison to other common intoxicants including pharmaceuticals.

Quote:
If you want to escape from reality and seek a buzz- be my guest. If people want to do so, I think they should have the right to do so. However, I like reality and do not seek to escape reality, but embrace it. Reality is pretty spectacular in of itself and, in my opionion, does not need the veil of mind altering drugs to appreciate it.
Reality is pretty spectacular, but look at what is spectacular. White water rafting, completely spectacular, and causes the release of chemical analogues to various illegal drugs, sex, can be completely spectacular, and causes the release of chemical analogues to various illegal drugs, shopping, video gaming, communing with nature, exercise, every single thing that people tend to enjoy all release oxytocin, seratonin, endorphins, dopamine, norepinephrine and other goodies, which are all provided by chocolate, activities, and various types of drugs. You cannot separate drug use from people because either through action, or consumption the human being relies on these chemicals as rewards for biologically "good" behavior. So when you're looking at reality, you might like to stop and consider, whether or not you're actually enjoying the reality of it all, or whether you're just enjoying the chemical soup your brain just dumped out that replicates the effects of one or more drugs.

Quote:
Try having cancer a few times and suddenly reality is the best thing ever.
That would depend on the cancer patient, no? Some patients do suddenly begin to actually live, rather than exist, some stop living and merely exist. The perception of proximity of death to people does not provide a single reaction, but can produce entirely different reactions in different people, it's all how they cope with it that's important. However as I described above, you need to measure what you enjoy about reality, with what you're actually enjoying about reality, the soup, or the reality.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:39 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are a propagandist. That article is very careful not to put the numbers into proper context. For instance in Denver...

Denver marijuana grows used just 1.85 percent of the city's overall electricity in 2013. - See more at: How Much Electricity Does It Take To Grow Marijuana? Colo. Cities Are Finding Out | CPR
or.

According to Black Hills Energy, which provides power to the city of Pueblo and parts of Pueblo County, 10 grow facilities used 2.1 million kWh in 2014. That's 0.1 percent of the energy that Black Hills delivered to its Pueblo coverage area. - See more at: How Much Electricity Does It Take To Grow Marijuana? Colo. Cities Are Finding Out | CPR
And the use can be vastly reduced by the simple strategy of growing pot in green houses. And all that takes is the removal of regulations that forbid it.

Still await your views on THC and AAA views they do not correlate with impairment.
What?

You fail to see this is but one activity?... And the premise stands... Growing dope is an energy glutton. Which is why granny 12 plant had written into it a nanny monitor.. So PG and e can throttle power to dope growers in periods of critical use time. I don't think you have an understanding of how power works.. Most people don't...

I still await you finding peace so using drugs won't be so attractive. Drug use by its very nature IS unprofessional

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-13-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 04:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
The people you mention have addictive personalities and can't control themselves. They are weak
Anyone that uses an intoxicant is weak.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:03 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But here we go with the two wrongs make a right! I have seen enough pot use in my 69 years. My best friend's son died in his early fifties - pot and alcohol (maybe other drugs). The son had not lived in the real world for years and when he inherited his father's money he did not last one year. My brother-in-law had the same problem - inherited money and then quickly died. While I cannot blame pot exclusively; it is part of the lifestyle that contributed to their deaths.

Proponents of pot try to paint this picture about how the drug affects everybody the exact same way. I watched one young woman that became so paranoid she was going to jump out the window. We had friends that used and came over to our house to visit. I had my mother's coffee ground cake in the refrigerator that we had not touched for the last two weeks - we knew better and it should have been thrown out will all of the mold on it! We were not watching my friend and did not see him eat the coffee cake until he was down to the last bite - he told us it was the best cake he ever ate! We were surprised he survived!

More than any of this I worry about the message we send to our young as more states and our Country move towards legalization. The kids of users will see their parents smiling/laughing and having a great time - but they will not see them losing their jobs or the pain and suffering from car accidents. They will associate drugs with only fun and not pain.

believe me it wasn't the pot that killed him!! it was the booze and or hard drugs.

theirs not one documented overdose death caused by pot..

Old 05-13-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anyone that uses an intoxicant is weak.

laughing.. I'd like to see you build a 400 ton stone wall 3 to 4 feet thick 9 foot high by hand with no helper, mix all the concrete by hand and hand pick and fit all the stone.. pulling levers and pushing buttons in a train does not take much strength..

Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
What?

You fail to see this is but one activity?... And the premise stands... Growing dope is an energy glutton. Which is why granny 12 plant had written into it a nanny monitor.. So PG and e can throttle power to dope growers in periods of critical use time. I don't think you have an understanding of how power works.. Most people don't...

I still await you finding peace so using drugs won't be so attractive. Drug use by its very nature IS unprofessional

dumping 1 million gallons of water on a golf course every day is waste too, lets ban golf courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies