Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:32 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Nor can he pass a legitimate drug test

Are you saying we should accept someone who chooses to alter themselves purposefully in critical positions

Do you think a nuclear operator is a critical position?

Does any user here feel that critical positions should not be filled with users?

Classical I'm OK syndrome

Now..I can't see any nuke plant today not drug testing it's employees...too much money..too much liability on the line to have people with substances in their body that alter the mind

I would rather a person working at a nuke plant that smokes on his ,her personal time, than an uptight head strong person like you any day of the week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Yes. I know several. Don't use the stuff myself, so I'm just going based on my observations.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Because of the previous thread that was closed before we had a chance to solve all the world's problems, I thought it would be good to start a new one, one that addresses this question specifically.

I already know the answer, and when looking through past threads, I get the sense that most others do too. This is based simply on the fact that the number of posters who believe that the "stoner" stereotype is all there is to cannabis usage is such a small percentage of the total number of posters. I would like to verify this by taking a poll.
Yes, in my experience alcoholics can be far more destructive but again it might not be for everybody.

Of course nobody wants a doctor whose stoned operating on them.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:29 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I know *several* people that smoke pot on occasion that work what are mentally tough math related jobs.

They don't show up to work stoned and you can't tell their work apart from anybody else.

We're not talking about people that get completely wrecked on pot but rather occasional users.

P.S. I've personally never smoked pot.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Of course nobody wants a doctor whose stoned operating on them.
Actually if that doctor is the #1 in the world in their field with a 100% success rate, and has always been stoned over the course of that history. I'd prefer that doctor be stoned than not.

Here's the problem, if they detox and then return to their field, their muscle memory and synapses have adapted to working while intoxicated, now they're not, and their previous history is no longer an indication of their current ability. Their previous history while intoxicated was excellent, but detoxing and sobering up doesn't always result in improved performance, just ask any athlete who's been forced off the juice because of failing a drug test.

So even that isn't as simple as it seems.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Incorrect. I don't drink. I usually run Z consists east, oil south and Z consists back west. I get my pick of what to drive.

I have it great and don't need dope or anything else to feel good.
I would hope you are following the AMTRAK crash report. Interesting message for you and yours...humans, even cold stone sober humans, are poorly suited toward driving trains and such. Need to turn it over to the automata which are not distracted and do not loose spatial orientation. Well perhaps a role for humans in back checking the automata.

Feds: Engineer in deadly Philly crash 'greatly influenced' by rock incident - The Morning Call

Old 05-18-2016, 12:54 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

I have it great
I seriously doubt that.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:11 AM

37 posts, read 44,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. Stoners only think they are doing well. Everyone else is laughing at them.

Pot gradually erodes your decision making ability and in the end, you're just a pothead. Nothing more.
Lol what a conservative scary ignorant dork. Never smoked pot before? No wonder you're so stiff and uptight and boring

Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 AM

37 posts, read 44,498 times
Weed isn't a drug that's what the FDA labels it. I guess you can sat the same for cigarettes and alcohol

Old 05-25-2016, 04:09 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually if that doctor is the #1 in the world in their field with a 100% success rate, and has always been stoned over the course of that history. I'd prefer that doctor be stoned than not.

Here's the problem, if they detox and then return to their field, their muscle memory and synapses have adapted to working while intoxicated, now they're not, and their previous history is no longer an indication of their current ability. Their previous history while intoxicated was excellent, but detoxing and sobering up doesn't always result in improved performance, just ask any athlete who's been forced off the juice because of failing a drug test.

So even that isn't as simple as it seems.
I've heard about complaints from the anti-decriminalization side about how to check to see if a pot head is impaired or not.

I hope things will get cleared up but I still wouldn't want one operating on me and mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies