Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Are you saying that you have metabolites in your system and pass the **** test?

I've never known a drug user that can resist just one.

Metabolites and observations means intoxication... Both are necessary..Some jurisdictions have elected to use the 5 ngm limit... Which has been tested to the ninth..so while you might say whatever you want a legal standard has been established and vetted. As more and more stoners hurt people while driving nhsta will establish a national standard. This will get figured out.. Science is making strides already as are reliable roadside tests

This is but another reason to slow or stop any legalization effort until difficult issues such as this one are addressed nationally
You made my arguement for me
Rocky twenty years...
Then you may bring forth whatever arguement you want at your duid trial
Again, it's like talking to a brick wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Metabolites does not mean intoxicated

In notme's reefer madness manual, it states that if one even looks at pot one is intoxicated

Old 05-14-2016, 12:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Are you saying that you have metabolites in your system and pass the **** test?

I've never known a drug user that can resist just one.

Metabolites specifically active for thc and observations means intoxication... Both are necessary..Some jurisdictions have elected to use the 5 ngm limit... Which has been tested to the ninth..so while you might say whatever you want a legal standard has been established and vetted. As more and more stoners hurt people while driving nhsta will establish a national standard. This will get figured out.. Science is making strides already as are reliable roadside tests

This is but another reason to slow or stop any legalization effort until difficult issues such as this one are addressed nationally
You made my arguement for me
Rocky twenty years...
Then you may bring forth whatever arguement you want at your duid trial
“There is no concentration of the drug that allows us to reliably predict that someone is impaired behind the wheel in the way that we can with alcohol,†said Jake Nelson, AAA’s director of traffic safety advocacy and research.
**************************************http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/us...ving-laws.html
There is even opposition to using THC in combination with impaired testing for fear it colors the results.
The result of all this over time will be that THC testing will go away. As the science becomes widely accepted the courts will fall into line. Note this is the AAA, a major promotor of driver safety and a major automobile insurer. They would have a bias to protecting the driving public.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
“There is no concentration of the drug that allows us to reliably predict that someone is impaired behind the wheel in the way that we can with alcohol,†said Jake Nelson, AAA’s director of traffic safety advocacy and research.
**************************************http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/us...ving-laws.html
There is even opposition to using THC in combination with impaired testing for fear it colors the results.
The result of all this over time will be that THC testing will go away. As the science becomes widely accepted the courts will fall into line. Note this is the AAA, a major promotor of driver safety and a major automobile insurer. They would have a bias to protecting the driving public.

This is a big issue with weed. No legal definition of too impaired to drive and no way to test one other than the highly subjective field sobriety test.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
T-310 is just jealous because he can't enjoy smoke, even far and away from work. I get it. When I ran freight trains I watched all my friends lead productive lives and enjoy what they wanted to in their off time. I no longer work for the railroad. I'm no longer a slave to being on call 24/7, living the majority of my life in a lonely motel room away from my family, dealing with hostile railroad management that would love nothing more than to see a labor employee fired..... I may not make as much money, but at least I feel like I have a life. I now enjoy regular off days and daylight work.

I still work in transportation management, and I don't smoke pot, but it seems to me that some people will never understand the difference between being stoned at work, versus just enjoying a little toke on their off time far and away from the clock. They look down on them like they're all degenerates.

With that being said, I'll bet my life that T-310 goes home (or to the crappy motel) after a long grueling 12 hour shift on the rails and slurps down a few beers or glasses of wine and goes promptly straight to bed so he can be ready for the crew dispatchers call at some ungodly hour of the morning or night just to drag himself to the coffee maker in the kitchen to do it all over again less then 10 hours later. I know I did after I had to try stuffing my 6000' train into a 6200' siding in blizzard conditions several times a shift......

We all have a way of coping.... Ya know what I mean?
Incorrect. I don't drink. I usually run Z consists east, oil south and Z consists back west. I get my pick of what to drive.

I have it great and don't need dope or anything else to feel good.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:08 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is a big issue with weed. No legal definition of too impaired to drive and no way to test one other than the highly subjective field sobriety test.

The easiest way to settle this is to not allow legalization until we either create the test, acknowledge reasonable limits, and use existing scientific data and studies. We are foolish to embrace this without setting universal limits and establishing correct testing procedures. We do not need new laws that vary from state to state.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It is an interesting problem and one that requires new and better techniques.

I for instance will fail all impairment tests involving balance. There is no way I can heel-toe or walk a straight line. I simply have nerve problems in my lower legs that make balance unstable. I need to walk in little circles to stand upright. I will pass all eye tests and hand eye coordination.

I also suspect that we can't solve the impaired problem fully before the autonomous vehicles arrive which will make the problem vanish in a decade or two.

In the interim we are probably left with the field tests. Though we need to codify them and record their performance. Try and get some of the subjectivity out.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:14 PM

469 posts, read 577,152 times
Yes, I know a great many personally that are.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The easiest way to settle this is to not allow legalization until we either create the test, acknowledge reasonable limits, and use existing scientific data and studies. We are foolish to embrace this without setting universal limits and establishing correct testing procedures. We do not need new laws that vary from state to state.
Well you could also just ban regular driving. Everyone in a cab. Then we are sure they are not suffering from pot or alcohol or an opioid or some other dangerous drug or even being overly fatigued.

Of course that is irrational. But you basically want to control the use of a potentially helpful and pleasant substance at very high cost to the society. Why not go all the way? Solve the employment problems as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Well you could also just ban regular driving. Everyone in a cab. Then we are sure they are not suffering from pot or alcohol or an opioid or some other dangerous drug or even being overly fatigued.

Of course that is irrational. But you basically want to control the use of a potentially helpful and pleasant substance at very high cost to the society. Why not go all the way? Solve the employment problems as well.

Work to get the testing measures and agree on the limits and then come back and talk. These questions have not changed since the 1960's. We have no agreement and there is absolutely no reason that we have no agreements. It isn't that the subject has not been studied many, many times over. So, here we are, half a century later and still making the same issues! Do you really want laws that vary state to state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies