Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And, of course, the choice given in the poll is a classical example of a false dilemma. Since when would that be the only options?
Exactly, given those two choices I am not sure which one I would pick. It is time to let the loons in the ME kill themselves while we stay out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 04:06 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Don't be so quick to break out a red herring.

And the Navy has an impressive array of countermeasures. Which won't be crewed by Iranians. You know, the guys who Saddam roughed up badly in an 8 year war.
Saddam lost that war. At best it was a draw and that after 8 years of destruction.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Saddam lost that war.
Not so fast, VN...

Quote:
At best it was a draw and that after 8 years of destruction.
Most historians and analysts consider the war to be a stalemate. Certain analysts believe that Iraq won, on the basis of the success of their 1988 offensives which thwarted Iran's major territorial ambitions in Iraq and persuaded Iran to accept the ceasefire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...twar_situation

Old 05-21-2016, 09:12 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If people like you could at least admit that America definitely targeted civilian populations, I could have a clearer conscience in regard to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Agreed. And anyone reading contemporary material will know that targeting civilian population centers was SOP in World War II.

Somewhat of necessity - the Allies had poured colossal amounts of manpower and materials into strategic bombers, only to learn that under combat conditions with anything resembling acceptable loss rates on the bomber crews, precision bombing meant plus/minus half a mile. Cities were the only nails big enough for this particular hammer. It was a cold equation, but - war.

Lived in Hamburg for few years. Visiting the graveyards where entire neighborhoods are buried is a bit of a gut punch. The Nazis brought it on themselves and the Germans are the first to admit it, but... Damn.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Then if you were Spock you might say, "Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many, were outweighed, by the needs of my boyfriend's grandpa."
Think of it this way, Many japanese believe that war is horror. If they cannot accept the fact that their then government was to blame, they will forever suffer from bitterness.

acceptance is the final destination of the grief journey. is it not? It is not about the "needs of my boyfriend's grandpa", although he was a darn brave ww2 veteran whom I truly respect.
That is one true warrior who doesn't blame culture, people, or paint all japanese with one broad brush. That is also one true warrior does not apologize or feels guilty. He has the attitude of all United States Marines.

it is more like "once you start the war, you accept the consequences of starting the war." If you started a war, you shouldn't complain if others torture you, or kill your families.
Probably not very pc for me to say, but, oh well, it is what it is.

Which war is not total war?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-21-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 02:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yes.

China faces a strong U.S.-Japan alliance — and will probably face an even stronger U.S.-Japan alliance in the near future. Closer ties between Beijing and Seoul would put both the United States and Japan on significant alert. What’s more, for South Korea, the 60-year alliance relationship with the United States probably means more than two decades of diplomatic relations with China. Given the current situation, could China really undermine the foundation of the ROK-U.S. alliance and, even further, replace it with a China-ROK version?

Why a China-South Korea Alliance Won’t Happen | The Diplomat

each country, please defend yourself, otherwise, pay up. Not really rocket science.
I just want to say that China makes up 60% of the landmass and population of East Asia. They really don't need allies as badly as the US or Japan.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I just want to say that China makes up 60% of the landmass and population of East Asia. They really don't need allies as badly as the US or Japan.
No, they don't. which is scary. They pretty much control North Korea.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, they don't. which is scary. They pretty much control North Korea.
I also want to point out alliances are a two way street and both sides have to make concessions to make alliances work. For the South Korea and Japan alliances to work for the US, the US had to make tech transfers and also tolerate unfair trade practices to keep those countries loyal allies. This wrecked the US manufacturing base but the Establishment was willing to tolerate this but the populace is no longer willing to tolerate this arrangement which is why Trump is rising. China isn't willing to make these concessions to any countries which is why they have no allies.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I also want to point out alliances are a two way street and both sides have to make concessions to make alliances work. For the South Korea and Japan alliances to work for the US, the US had to make tech transfers and also tolerate unfair trade practices to keep those countries loyal allies. This wrecked the US manufacturing base but the Establishment was willing to tolerate this but the populace is no longer willing to tolerate this arrangement which is why Trump is rising. China isn't willing to make these concessions to any countries which is why they have no allies.
Of course. I agree.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Says the Monday morning QB's without a clue. My Dad fought the Japanese for 3 years and they almost killed him twice. They were still a formidable enemy and the warrior cult military was still in control of the government. To surrender was death for them so they were not motivated to stop fighting at all. It took the atomic bombs to finally get the Emperor to demand peace. And of course back channel assurances that the Emperor would remain in place.

But just stop with the revisionist history lessons.
I never recommended not dropping the bombs but i believe the same resulting surrender would have happened had the bombs been dropped in less populated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies