Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
oriental is a rug, not a person. It's not even a proper label when referring to people.

Obama is a moron but this isn't something to get upset over.
Orient means East.

Interestingly, most hand knotted carpets come from Southern Asia, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan and the Middle Ease, Iran/Persia.

Most would not refer to the people of these countries as Oriental.

Would the rest of the world refer to those living in say El Salvador, as Americans?

Several states have legacy laws on the books banning the term " Oriental" when referring to Asian Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 03:31 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Hey Asians, look, we are on your side. we banned the word you ALL hated.

But, compassion stops right here, there are still too many Asian males in tech industry. There are still too many Asians in college. we still need to fix that.

Words speak much louder than action, remember that.

Hahaha....better yet, Don't worry Asians, we are mad for you, even though you may not be mad, you just don't know you need to be mad, so we will be mad for you....

Freaking amazing....lol....

Old 05-26-2016, 03:34 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hahaha....better yet, Don't worry Asians, we are mad for you, even though you may not be mad, you just don't know you need to be mad, so we will be mad for you....

Freaking amazing....lol....
Exactly! I bet these are the same people who are complaining there are too many Asian males in the tech industry, there are too many asians in college.

No wonder most Asians are not impressed.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Exactly! I bet these are the same people who are complaining there are too many Asian males in the tech industry, there are too many asians in college.

No wonder most Asians are not impressed.
Just like the redskin controversy.....

We are MAD for you....yet 9 out of 10 who are considered redskins, don't care....

A liberal wet dream gone bad....

Old 05-26-2016, 04:38 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What are we supposed to say if we want to buy a Oriental Rug now that Obama says we can't use that word?
Do you think Federal statutes and regulations refer to Oriental Rugs? 100% sure they don't. Just call it a rug, just like that thing on the Oompa Loompa.

Mick

Old 05-26-2016, 04:40 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
More of this PC BS to come in the next 6+ months
8.5 years, I believe.

Mick

Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
It's amazing how an absolutely BS original post can generate so many true believers. Mark Twain really had it nailed:

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes."

Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Sarcasm I am surprised that you didn't know I was being sarcastic.

What I really meant was: Why focus on banning the word, putting asians in college, allowing them in tech industry is MUCH MORE productive.

But it seems like the compassion stopped right there at banning the word. So I am not impressed.

Am I asian myself? I can care less what others see me as. I see myself as mixed. No more, no less. but I prefer others view me as JAPANESE and white mixed, rather than Asian.
You're in the same boat I am. But, since I sometimes get the "what are you" type questions, means a good amount of people dismiss my white side. If you get it too, then he first thing people see is your Asian features. I identify as Hispanic, even if I'm 80% white. That's what American society sees me as, and I'm quite alright with that

Old 05-26-2016, 06:03 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're in the same boat I am. But, since I sometimes get the "what are you" type questions, means a good amount of people dismiss my white side. If you get it too, then he first thing people see is your Asian features. I identify as Hispanic, even if I'm 80% white. That's what American society sees me as, and I'm quite alright with that
Yeah me too. I am quite allright with that too. I dyed my hair black because my hair is naturally dark brown. Nowadays I just keep it natural. In asian countries, people think I am very cool being mixed and all that. In Germany and in America, I have been asked, "what are you?" sometimes, but not often. If I keep my hair the way it is without dyeing it, nobody asked me that question. they all meant well because they just wanted to give me some compliments.

My brother, on the other hand, has always been viewed as one of those white boys. He used to have a heavy English accent, now it is all American because of Marine Corps.

My grandpa has always used the word "oriental" because he was too old. lol

add: I dated a chinese-American who happened to be a software engineer. He is a hard worker. He has no problems with the word oriental, he just wanted to send his daughter to college.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Yeah me too. I am quite allright with that too. I dyed my hair black because my hair is naturally dark brown. Nowadays I just keep it natural. In asian countries, people think I am very cool being mixed and all that. In Germany and in America, I have been asked, "what are you?" sometimes, but not often. If I keep my hair the way it is without dyeing it, nobody asked me that question. they all meant well because they just wanted to give me some compliments.

My brother, on the other hand, has always been viewed as one of those white boys. He used to have a heavy English accent, now it is all American because of Marine Corps.

My grandpa has always used the word "oriental" because he was too old. lol

add: I dated a chinese-American who happened to be a software engineer. He is a hard worker. He has no problems with the word oriental, he just wanted to send his daughter to college.
My hair is also one shade away from black and it's the same texture as Asian hair. My ancestry is so mixed up, I get wild responses from everyone lol. I'm Turkish in Germany, Pakistani in the UK, Mexican in Spain and the US, and part Okinawan Japanese in Japan. Needless to say, so far only the Japanese have gotten it right but I'm not Okinawan I'm Ainu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies