Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

In other news, you won't go to jail for using that word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
All I really have to say is, if this jerkface soon to be ex-president turns up in Richardson TX and tries to make The Oriental Wok close down, its gonna be ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!

#14 Spicy Chicken at the Orental Wok needs to be placed in the Smithsonian.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Somebody arbitrarily decided that 30 or so years ago. But "Asian" is hardly an improvement. As a descriptor the word is completely useless.
the same could be said of African, but I believe it is used because most people cant tell the difference between someone who is Chinese vs someone who is Mongolian.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Who knew? As it turns out, the word "oriental" is derogatory. Our government, ever quick to be PC, has just scrubbed the term from the federal books and will now refer to those "orientals" as Asian Americans. Before you blame Obama for falling all over himself with political correctness, understand that representatives sent him the bill. Yes, the Republican congress that can't agree on much of anything unanimously passed this bill. This is serious stuff, I guess.

Until Trump is elected and repeals this right after Obamacare, I will stop using the term. How about you?

President Obama Signs Bill Eliminating 'Oriental' From Federal Law - NBC News
A lot of people will be dis-oriented as a result of this....

Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
This is an example of where the change was made in the US code:

Quote:
(f) Definitions As used in this section, the term—
(1) “minority†means any individual who is a citizen of the United States and who is a Negro, Puerto Rican, American Indian, Eskimo, Oriental, or Aleut or is a Spanish speaking individual of Spanish descent;

This is what the new law signed by Obama (with veto-proof bipartisan support in both houses) actually says:

Quote:
(a) Office Of Minority Economic Impact.—Section 211(f)(1) of the Department of Energy Organization Act (42 U.S.C. 7141(f)(1)) is amended by striking “a Negro, Puerto Rican, American Indian, Eskimo, Oriental, or Aleut or is a Spanish speaking individual of Spanish descent†and inserting “Asian American, Native Hawaiian, a Pacific Islander, African American, Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Native American, or an Alaska Nativeâ€.

(b) Minority Business Enterprises.—Section 106(f)(2) of the Local Public Works Capital Development and Investment Act of 1976 (42 U.S.C. 6705(f)(2)) is amended by striking “Negroes, Spanish-speaking, Orientals, Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts†and inserting “Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islanders, African American, Hispanic, Native American, or Alaska Nativesâ€.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
All I really have to say is, if this jerkface soon to be ex-president turns up in Richardson TX and tries to make The Oriental Wok close down, its gonna be ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!

#14 Spicy Chicken at the Orental Wok needs to be placed in the Smithsonian.
Calm the heck down. This refers to federal government affairs and doesn't affect private businesses.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Hey Asians, look, we are on your side. we banned the word you ALL hated.

But, compassion stops right here, there are still too many Asian males in tech industry. There are still too many Asians in college. we still need to fix that.

Words speak much louder than action, remember that.
Lol aren't you Asian yourself?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:55 PM

716 posts, read 393,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
...So, the key term you stated is "people who still refer to blacks as.....These are the same folks who're clueless..."

So, I rightfully pointed out two organizations that use these terms; are they clueless as you stated? Nothing prevents these organizations from changing their names.

Just as you stated these organizations were using these terms before someone, who ever, declared them "offensive", so have millions of people. Yet according to you, it is ok for these organizations to use the term because they were using it before the terms were declared "offensive", yet it is not ok for people who were using the term before it was declared offensive to continue using?...

...It does not matter they used the terms before the terms were considered offensive, millions of other people were also using the terms before they were declared offensive. The organizations can change their names if the terms are supposedly so offensive, but they do not change their names. Yet, millions of people are suppose to all of a sudden agree and conform to stop using a term due to some declaration that it is "offensive"...
You're mischaracterizing the issue. I know of no one, who ever, declared these antiquated terms "offensive". Did the common usage of the N word become unacceptable (except in the conservative south of course) because someone, who ever, declared it "offensive"?!? Of course not, it became unacceptable over time due to social norms.

Regarding these organization's names, due to a myriad of practical reasons like name recognition, don't hold your breath waiting for a name change. So yes, according to me that's perfectly ok. And I'm sure you'll never understand why no one's offended when blacks use the N word and gays use the F word between themselves.

It's well known that conservatives have issues with change and even more so with what's socially acceptable. But it's a free country and as conservatives love to beat their chest about how 'un-PC' they are, be upfront about it and feel free to use the terms, oriental, negro, colored and even the N word in mixed company. It's better that people know where you're coming from...

Old 05-26-2016, 03:00 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol aren't you Asian yourself?
Sarcasm I am surprised that you didn't know I was being sarcastic.

What I really meant was: Why focus on banning the word, putting asians in college, allowing them in tech industry is MUCH MORE productive.

But it seems like the compassion stopped right there at banning the word. So I am not impressed.

Am I asian myself? I can care less what others see me as. I see myself as mixed. No more, no less. but I prefer others view me as JAPANESE and white mixed, rather than Asian.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-26-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 03:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
You're mischaracterizing the issue. I know of no one, who ever, declared these antiquated terms "offensive". Did the common usage of the N word become unacceptable (except in the conservative south of course) because someone, who ever, declared it "offensive"?!? Of course not, it became unacceptable over time due to social norms.

Regarding these organization's names, due to a myriad of practical reasons like name recognition, don't hold your breath waiting for a name change. So yes, according to me that's perfectly ok. And I'm sure you'll never understand why no one's offended when blacks use the N word and gays use the F word between themselves.

It's well known that conservatives have issues with change and even more so with what's socially acceptable. But it's a free country and as conservatives love to beat their chest about how 'un-PC' they are, be upfront about it and feel free to use the terms, oriental, negro, colored and even the N word in mixed company. It's better that people know where you're coming from...
Agreed tho "people of color" is NOW PC even tho it ain't a real honest saying. Some PoC are pasty white in skin color and some anglo whites are pretty "brown" and I ain't talking suntans here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies