Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 03:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Saying that America shouldnt use the bomb again is not the same thing as apologizing for its use, which is what you claimed.
Saying the first bomb was a mistake certain implies wrongdoing. If I do something I recognize later was wrong i feel sorry for it.

Let's face it he was kissing ass. No one is harmed. Fortunately we had a good Democrat for President in 1945. No college degree, but a lot of common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 03:58 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, perception is reality.

Regardless he apologized or not, the world will consider it an apology tour. Doesn't help either country.

It is all about Obama's personal legacy. (I actually like him as a person and don't want to attack him every chance I get) But I don't think this visit is a smart move.

Plus, the Japanese are confused. The history is an embarrassment for most of them. But they take pride that a strong "enemy" like the America defeated them. That is how Americans earn respect from them. (odd, but true)

Now this, sad situation.
Wrong, only closed minded idiotic conservatives will think he is on an apology tour.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:00 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wrong, only closed minded idiotic conservatives will think he is on an apology tour.
True. But you can clearly see why this tour opened a new can of worms. I wouldn't say this is an apology tour, I think it is about his personal legacy more than anything.

by the way, please stop using the word "idiotic" it is not a good debate strategy.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:

by the way, please stop using the word "idiotic" it is not a good debate strategy.
Yep, it is also idiotic.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, it is also idiotic.
agreed.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
if you were 1/4 Japanese, you would understand why I feel the way I do.

Like I said, perception is reality. I am sure the visitation is a nice gesture (and I mentioned that earlier), but the result might not be desirable.

if you did not use the roll eye emoji, I wouldn't have called you "combative". I am not interested in fighting.
Actually, perception is not reality. But that phrase is a cliche.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
And what about "mistake"?
Can't keep track of the interpretations flying around here any more. Where did he say mistake and in what context? Is it this one that's giving you heartburn?

Quote:
And perhaps, above all, we must reimagine our connection to one another as members of one human race.

For this, too, is what makes our species unique. We’re not bound by genetic code to repeat the mistakes of the past. We can learn. We can choose. We can tell our children a different story, one that describes a common humanity, one that makes war less likely and cruelty less easily accepted.
Is that statement a problem? It's pretty obvious he speaks of humanity, no particular nation.

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
True. But you can clearly see why this tour opened a new can of worms. I wouldn't say this is an apology tour, I think it is about his personal legacy more than anything.

You have failed to state what the can of worms is that you keep repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, perception is not reality. But that phrase is a cliche.
Perception is reality to a lot of people. For example, many view this as an apology tour. Can you deny that? So this tour might not have the desirable result. This war is still very personal to a lot of people.

You should stop arguing with me, by the way. I haven't said anything that is not from the bottom of my heart. Just try to share some of my personal perspective, no more no less.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You have failed to state what the can of worms is that you keep repeating.
well, like I said, you are not 1/4 Japanese, you don't have relative interned, so you will never understand how I feel. I have a friend who is 100% japanese, he tried to ask his grandparents what they have experienced during ww2 in Hawaii, till this day, he never got an answer because his grandparents never wanted to talk about it. Many chose to heal the pain in silence.

can you move on now? did I say this is a nice gesture? what else do you need? sheesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies