Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:29 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Curious Canadian here.

When do you think Canadians were oppressed (or maybe even eliminated ) by their government?
Curious Canadian: it's a solely US obsession that foreigners can't understand. Same thing with survivalists: America, one of a (relatively) safe countries on earth, is terrified by doomsday scenatios. In countries where life and existence is an everyday challenge, there are no survivalists. You won't find them neither in Afghanistan, nor in South Sudan. These theories weren't heard of in Burundi. But they are very popular in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:13 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But I am white... Or maybe you think white folks don't grow in the inner city. And there's this thing called context where earlier we were talking about authority when civilization collapses.

But I guess you couldn't manage a response to the other stuff. ��
Your "race" has nothing to do with your racism.

And that's no "literary device"...it's as straight as I can make it.

I'm working on a response to you...probably going to be released in haiku form.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Curious Canadian here.

When do you think Canadians were oppressed (or maybe even eliminated ) by their government?
North West Rebellion is one of the biggest. Involving the Metis and Cree.

Then again also ask Quebec what they think.

What do you say about Sir Francis Bond Head?

While the history of Canada with the native peoples isn't as bloody as the US, there are a number of instances where treaties that were inconvenient were set aside to the detriment of the people that the treaty was created to protect. There is also instances where people have been suppressed or oppressed.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:25 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
North West Rebellion is one of the biggest. Involving the Metis and Cree.
One of the biggest? Riel did not have the support of the nearly all the Indians and most of the Metis population.

"Riel had been invited to lead the movement but he turned it into a military action with a heavily religious tone, thereby alienating the Catholic clergy, the whites, nearly all of the Indians and most of the Métis. He had a force of a couple hundred Métis and a smaller number of Indians at Batoche in May 1885, confronting 900 government troops."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-West_Rebellion

Quote:
What do you say about Sir Francis Bond Head?
??? Canada became a separate self-governing country in 1867.

Quote:
Then again also ask Quebec what they think.
I moved to Quebec 4 months before the FLQ crisis in 1970 and lived there for 7 years. As far as what Quebecers think - they voted no to sovereignty in the two referendums that were held.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
One of the biggest? Riel did not have the support of the nearly all the Indians and most of the Metis population.

"Riel had been invited to lead the movement but he turned it into a military action with a heavily religious tone, thereby alienating the Catholic clergy, the whites, nearly all of the Indians and most of the Métis. He had a force of a couple hundred Métis and a smaller number of Indians at Batoche in May 1885, confronting 900 government troops."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-West_Rebellion
So then selling off someones land by the government isn't oppressive in your opinion.

Quote:
??? Canada became a separate self-governing country in 1867.
Did he or did he not in concert with the family compact oppress Canadians? If Canada was not self governing then those offenses we committed by the UK, in it's Canadian Province.

The current French Republic dates from 1958, so any government oppression, repression, or violence like the French Revolution didn't involve France? That's kind of what you're claiming.

I just pointed out that many governments we see, haven't had that long to trend towards typical self serving, so stating that modern governments in Europe are not repressive/oppressive isn't meaningful when the majority of the current forms really only begin coming in from the mid 1940's. That does not excuse previous offenses by previous forms of government of those same countries.

Quote:
I moved to Quebec 4 months before the FLQ crisis in 1970 and lived there for 7 years. As far as what Quebecers think - they voted no to sovereignty in the two referendums that were held.
They both were pretty close, yes the '95 referendum more than the 1980? 1980 40% said yes to self rule, 1995 it had risen to 49.42%. So in 1980 40% of Quebecois don't feel their government represents them (thus by definition they feel disenfranchised and to some degree that means politically repressed), in 1995 that had increased to roughly 49.5%. While you may be a glass is half full kind of person, that's a lot of people who don't want to be governed by their government.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Did he or did he not in concert with the family compact oppress Canadians? If Canada was not self governing then those offenses we committed by the UK, in it's Canadian Province.
*sigh* Before 1867 the British colonies in North America were governed by the British Government. In 1867 the various colonies were united to form a country called the Dominion of Canada. Canada did not exist as a country prior to that date. There were no Canadians prior to that date, just as there were no Americans prior to the American Revolution.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Someone has to keep tract of the paperwork and documents, along with settle disputes between states and round up the militias with state approval, if a conflict arises.

No treating or giving anything to anyone, that each and every human being residing in the nation(it says people not citizen) doesn't get also. Picking only groups of people based upon some criteria, is discrimination by our government and creates government protected classes with special privileges not all receive. The government does not treat or provide for we the people equally. It is very selective and only to maintain political power(buying votes)
I don't buy it, just because the government does something you don't approve of doesn't make it wrong.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Your "race" has nothing to do with your racism.

And that's no "literary device"...it's as straight as I can make it.
A white male can be racist against other white males... Interesting.... Not to mention I am solidly middle class...

A white person making a statement on other white man is racist...

A male making a statement about other males is racist...

A person of similar economic class making a statement of other people of similar economic class is racist...

Am I getting a bill for your armchair psychology session? Because you may have to take me to court... Or you probably don't believe in courts.

Quote:
I'm working on a response to you...probably going to be released in haiku form.
Hopefully it works better than your feeble attempt at calling me a racist for making a statement regarding my own "kind".

Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
But seriously folks...

Do you really have the time, inclination and interest to spend this amount of attention rehashing these very same arguments with the very same people always to the very same end?

Let's maybe break this down a little differently, if possible...

First, name any large group of people on the planet that has not been born in a place where a government exists. Awfully hard to do...

Next, consider anywhere on the planet and/or any government where there are not people either with/for the government or against. That's even harder to do...

Ultimately to point to the simple fact that people and governance is essentially at odds to some extent by definition, so what does the difficulty answering the OP's question prove? Nothing really.

A bit like asking for an example of any one family that hasn't experienced some level of family discord somewhere along the line.

No? Well then down with family? Really?

"Name one government, that didn't eventually become the enemy of the people they rule over?"

Better question might be which countries have truly taken away the opportunity to pursue "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" in obvious very sad ways, say like in North Korea, and maybe appreciate what we have rather than forever go on about the gun control debate as if those issues define America.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post

Haha. So you are an authority of myself after an exchange on an anonymous internet forum. My... What an interesting age we live in.

Who is the one willing to use force to make comply, on those people that do not consent?
Words have meanings. Don't say it, if it not wanted to be quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies