Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 09:38 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I am gonna go out on a limb and say slavery came into the conversation as soon as the Confederate flag did since it has always been a symbol of slavery. It is a defunct flag for a defunct country that was founding on slavery. The only reason it still keeps getting brought up today is when some idiot white person feels like black people shouldn't be treated equally to them.

As for this story, the kid sounds like a spoiled idiot.
"as soon as the Confederate flag did since it has always been a symbol of slavery."

To some yes, MOST, NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:42 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

What other races "got over it?" You can't even get over the Civil War and the Confederate Flag yourself?

You brought up slavery when I didn't even mention it...and I'M black....not you.

So who can't get over it?

Right....that's what I thought.

What else is there for anyone to get their panties in a wad about at the sight of a Confederate flag?

I don't get upset at the sight of any flag except maybe ISIS.

Throughout history, there have been slaves of every race, including Caucasians.

Some people just seem to think that blacks have some sort of monopoly on being oppressed because of America's history and nothing could be further from the truth.

Fact: There is not 1 person who was either a slave or a slave owner in the American South who is still alive today.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:50 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What else is there for anyone to get their panties in a wad about at the sight of a Confederate flag?

I don't get upset at the sight of any flag except maybe ISIS.

Throughout history, there have been slaves of every race, including Caucasians.

Some people just seem to think that blacks have some sort of monopoly on being oppressed because of America's history and nothing could be further from the truth.

Fact: There is not 1 person who was either a slave or a slave owner in the American South who is still alive today.
Well said.

The whole thing is so 151 years ago.

And slavery existed throughout the world for centuries, practiced by all races and ethnicities.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There was a time when we were all Americans.
Did you just manage to post that in a thread about, of all things, some yokel waving the confederate flag?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Well said.

The whole thing is so 151 years ago.

And slavery existed throughout the world for centuries, practiced by all races and ethnicities.
So what? We aren't talking about other nations and races. This is about THIS country. How many other places wanted to secede from another country as a last ditch effort to keep and maintain slavery?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The war was about states rights, slavery being part of it but not the one and only issue as those who would teach revisionist history would have you believe.

Tell me, if the South had won the war, do you think we would still have slavery today?

Slavery was on it's way out, the outcome of the civil war did little to change that.
Indeed there were states' rights elements about it. It was about the right for states to keep slavery. Read the Articles of Secession, as I have. If you say that this is revisionist history, prove it.

If the South had won, the South would have continued on with slavery for longer than other nations did. Brazil and Cuba didn't wage wars to keep slavery. The South did. Based on that, I think slavery would have continued on for long. I suspect slave owners would have been willing to buy more slaves from Cuba, as the slave trade might have picked back up. The Antebellum South's culture was based on the few slave holders having power over slaves, over a racial hierarchy. Read the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens. According to him, slavery was the natural state of Blacks. There is a part in the Articles of Secession that mentions that the Black race should be enslaved. Yes, there was an economic factor in this. There was also a factor of keeping social hierarchy. Slavery was not on its way out. The value of a slave reached its peak before the war started.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Quote:
The Confederate flag was never a "symbol of hate" until the Looney left demanded that it become one.
Who in the ever-loving hell told you that drivel?!

Remember when the Confederacy wanted to secede from the United States to maintain slavery? Another user posted links to hate groups adopting the flag (KKK, neo-nazis, etc). These groups promoted threatening and killing non-whites. How is that not hateful?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Who in the ever-loving hell told you that drivel?!

Remember when the Confederacy wanted to secede from the United States to maintain slavery? Another user posted links to hate groups adopting the flag (KKK, neo-nazis, etc). These groups promoted threatening and killing non-whites. How is that not hateful?
^This, and some more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson

Direct from Thompson.

Quote:
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.[5]… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG [sic].

Quote:
As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals.
This is stuff that William Tappan Thompson, founder of the Savannah Morning News, wrote in the newspaper that he founded.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
So true.

Northerners are arrogant, uncivilized, and evil.

Unfortunately, they won the civil war.

Which explains the garbage pit that our society has become.
No more so than many Southerners I've met. And you mention "the White man founded civilization". I am going to go on your own logic to show how ridiculous you sound when you mention how much claim northerners are uncivilized and evil. The South was an agrarian society. However, most of the agricultural patents that went into agriculture were by northerns. The cotton gin is a good example.

If northerners are the reason society is garbage, explain why the South has traditionally had the highest murder rate in the USA, going all the way back to the days BEFORE the Civil War. Explain why the South lagged further behind in education than the rest of the USA. Explain why so many Black Americans wanted to leave the South up until 1970.

I'm glad the South lost the war. Being the descendant of slaves, the war's outcome was for the best. The desperation to keep slavery was a major reason the Confederate states wanted secession from the USA. This is in the Articles of Secession.

The Reasons for Secession

Knowing this, why should I express any regret for the South losing?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:51 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"as soon as the Confederate flag did since it has always been a symbol of slavery."

To some yes, MOST, NO.
And yet here we always see redneck white people waving it around and wanting things like National White People Day and such. People just need to let the flag of a defunct country go, the war is over, the South lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies