Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times

Advertisements

Don't worry. There's something called 'Karma'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:14 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The presentence report in this case called for a sentence of four months in jail. The judge sentenced him to six months. Judges ordinarily follow presentence reports.

The judge did nothing wrong.

I am not certain what is an appropriate sentence for this sort of crime. However, it is appropriate to consider the offender and the likelihood of repeat offenses in imposing a sentence. Apparently, the guy had a clean criminal history.
I am very surprised at your opinion on this case.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
In case it hasn't been posted, the judge is a Stanford grad and Stanford athlete- where the assailant was also a student/athlete...

Just saying.

https://www.everipedia.com/aaron-persky/

Last edited by BLAZER PROPHET; 06-06-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM

596 posts, read 428,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The man was found on top of the unconscious woman behind a dumpster. She was not moving at all and was partially disrobed. He was humping her but he was still fully clothed. He was convicted of sexual assault and not rape because he assaulted her with his finger. He was convicted of intent to rape because it seems that was direction he was heading. Fortunately, he was interrupted by two men on bikes who could see that the woman was unconscious and partially naked and they had the morals to ask, "what the hell are you doing? she's unconscious!" That's when Brock Turner got up and ran and the cyclists tackled him and detained him until the police came.

Thanks for the summary, I would have assumed that any penetration would be considered rape.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I wasn't condoning his actions in any way and believe I called them horrible and atrocious. I also wasn't blaming the girl, merely pointing out that she also made a bad decision. You shouldn't drink around random strangers to the point of unconsciousness. Also, this has everything to do with Greek life. Many fraternities actively provided alcohol, promote and encourage drinking excessively to the point of total inebriation and having sexual conquests with as many drunken women as possible. That type of mentality is what leads to this kind of behavior.

The guy has to spend 6 months in jail, probation, and then has a rape conviction following him around for life. I wouldn't say it's a total slap on the wrist. His light sentence is actually worse for him in a way, because now he is nationally humiliated and shamed. Nobody would have ever heard of this case had he had got a longer sentence. No one is going to want to hire or rent to a rapist.

I disagree with your prior post and thought that you went too far in blaming the woman and excusing the man's actions.

However, I agree 100% with your assessment of Greek life. The entire frat/sorority culture revolves around binge drinking, drug use and promiscuous sexual activity. It is the only reason that kids join these groups and the thin veneer of community service, yada yada yada they layer on top does not change that fact.

Any woman smart enough to attend college knows that getting drunk while hanging around with frat dudebros is likely to lead to them being sexually abused.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Stanford Dad's Disgusting Defense of His Son

Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Any woman smart enough to attend college knows that getting drunk while hanging around with frat dudebros is likely to lead to them being sexually abused.

Any man smart enough to attend college knows that coming across a woman who has passed out does not mean one should rape her.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am very surprised at your opinion on this case.

Well, exactly why do you think a pre-sentence report is prepared?

I focus on the process in this case. It was followed. In fact, the judge gave a slightly higher sentence than was recommended. This is a serious crime, but a sentence of six months plus probation is not a minor sentence either.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:25 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Any man smart enough to attend college knows that coming across a woman who has passed out does not mean one should rape her.
That's the crazy thing about rape culture. Women are brought up from an early age hearing "don't wear that," "don't go there," "don't talk to those people," "don't drink too much," "don't be out so late," etc. It's surprising that this particular young man, who got into Stanford, was apparently never told a very basic "don't rape people." What happened was not the actions of a good kid who just made a mistake. And that some people are lamenting that his life is ruined? Please.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
This is a perfect example of victim blaming, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Yup, anyone who questions that Rape Culture is a thing should read the father's pathetic statement.
Well, we see where the kid gets this from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies