Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:00 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times

Advertisements

Please read this article.

"In a radio broadcast, Cohen referred to critical questions Trump alone had raised. Among them: why is the United States "everywhere on the globe"? What is NATO's true mission? Why does the US always pursue regime change in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Ukraine? Why does Washington treat Russia and Vladimir Putin as an enemy?

The hysteria in the liberal media over Trump serves an illusion of "free and open debate" and "democracy at work". His views on immigrants and Muslims are grotesque, yet the deporter-in-chief of vulnerable people from America is not Trump but Obama, whose betrayal of people of colour is his legacy: such as the warehousing of a mostly black prison population, now more numerous than Stalin's gulag.

The equivalent in the US are the politically correct warmongers on the New York Times, the Washington Post and network TV who dominate political debate. I watched a furious debate on CNN about Trump's infidelities. It was clear, they said, a man like that could not be trusted in the White House. No issues were raised. Nothing on the 80 per cent of Americans whose income has collapsed to 1970s levels. Nothing on the drift to war. The received wisdom seems to be "hold your nose" and vote for Clinton: anyone but Trump. That way, you stop the monster and preserve a system gagging for another war."

Silencing America as it prepares for war

Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
The Army is the smallest it's been since before WWII. Shrinking the Army (Our main fighting force) isn't usually the way a nation prepares for war.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I am thrilled that people are obviously not happy with the direction of the country but I do wonder why more are not asking......"why is the United States "everywhere on the globe"?

I know part of the reason is people don't want to be labelled a racist for questioning Obama's war mongering but there is no reason to take any of those that would do that seriously.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am thrilled that people are obviously not happy with the direction of the country but I do wonder why more are not asking......"why is the United States "everywhere on the globe"?

I know part of the reason is people don't want to be labelled a racist for questioning Obama's war mongering but there is no reason to take any of those that would do that seriously.
Obama has bombed/used drones on 7 nations. Clinton had 6. Those are the most for any U.S. president since WWII though obviously you're looking at extensions of previous conflicts started under predecessors in some cases.

Truth is, it's going to be "bombs away" no matter who wins in November.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I just posted it on another thread- the military and weapons moguls already have lobbyist pushing to spend billions to upgrade -nuclear weapons,,, forget the pres. Military already to get funded no matter who is chief. Some just love war. Period

Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
The Army is the smallest it's been since before WWII. Shrinking the Army (Our main fighting force) isn't usually the way a nation prepares for war.
Don't worry, Hillary will have boots on the ground in Syria in no time.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
Quote:
That's due to greater automation and mechanization. Even China is shrinking its military to be more nimble.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:06 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
That's due to greater automation and mechanization. Even China is shrinking its military to be more nimble.
Also shifting burdens to outside contractors as well....Which makes the cost of a actual war explode.

Should we spend so much on our military while our deficit increases? A deficit is one thing in a recession. BUT....deficit spending, while outside of a recession, and simultaneously increasing our military would be foolhardy.

Up our taxes, and increase our military.....if needed.

Do we have a deficit outside of a recession? Reduce spending, or up our taxes.

Do we have a military incapable of defending the US (not our allies-just us)? Spend to make it capable of defending us. But we are spending FAR FAR more then needed to defend US. And not enough to defend our allies. Thats a waste no matter how you look at it.

If you think we should be the world police-we're not spending enough. We absolutely need to spend more and pay higher taxes. But the spending we're doing now is a waste-its not enough. And if you aren't willing to spend enough, you shouldn't bother.

If you think we should be defending just us, we're spending FAR too much, and not enough on the right thing. A dozen aircraft carriers? Bah! we should have 4....and 50 or so extra littoral combat ships.

No matter which perspective you have, we're doing it wrong.

Where is the next war coming from? At the moment I would guess China. And their spending is probably outdoing ours. Not in dollar amounts, but in bang for the buck comparisons. We buy a new aircraft carrier at 4.5 billion, they buy the ordinance to sink it for 500 million. Our defense industry is insanely profitable, and that massive profit damages our ability to afford to defend ourselves.

The F-22 was designed for a estimated 28 billion if the data I have is correct. The Chinese hacker that stole the plans? His entire division probably cost China less then a million.

We need to get better at this, or I need to brush up on my Cantonese.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:37 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Your question: "why is the United States "everywhere on the globe"?

Do you have an answer of your own?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I do not believe we are "preparing for war", but the strength of the military is no longer measured in how many men you have in the Army. Technology plays a huge part these days. I remember when Mitt Romney ignorantly complained about the number of ships in the Navy, failing to realize one ship of today equals many of yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies