Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:02 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,248,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Comparing France to the US, even with the influx of immigrants I would take my chances in France.
I'll take my chances in Conservative, Gun loving Texas verses a country that has let in thousands of immigrants hostile to that states government.

France and Belgium face 'imminent terror attack' from armed Isil commandos who left Syria a week ago, warns Belgian intelligence

Quote:
France and Belgium face an "imminent" terror attack from Isil commandos who left Syria a week ago and are already armed, according to a Belgian intelligence note cited by local media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:41 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Quote:
I tend to agree, if it wasn't so serious it would be comical. Another moment of silence followed by total inaction.

Himes protests Congressional inaction on guns by walking out during moment of silence for Orlando victims | FOX 61
One more classless Democrat disrespecting the victims of Islamic extremism. I do agree with him on one point-we do need to get a handle on violent Muslims in this country. But insulting the dead and disrespecting their families with a stunt like this is self-serving crap.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:53 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Agree with most of what you say, rural areas don't have nearly the problem but you can't carve out gun legislation around high crime areas like Chicago and expect to have anything that remotely resembles success. Right now our nation is a patchwork of state gun laws and we know it's not working yet we continue down the same road.
We could have a complete ban on guns in this entire country, and it STILL wouldn't work. Do you want to know why? You're assuming everyone would obey gun control laws. You assume everyone is law-abiding. I can assure you that thugs, felons, and terrorists aren't law-abiding people.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 AM

I am really not understanding all the irrational anti-gun sentiments. Stop reacting emotionally. Think rationally. Obama and Hillary are particularly guilty of reacting emotionally instead of thinking rationally. Or they know their voter base: emoters, not thinkers/intellectuals.

Really good chart breaking down cause of deaths in the U.S.:

http://media.oregonlive.com/data/ima...86_post-01.jpg

Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,751,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I am really not understanding all the irrational anti-gun sentiments. Stop reacting emotionally. Think rationally. Obama and Hillary are particularly guilty of reacting emotionally instead of thinking rationally. Or they know their voter base: emoters, not thinkers/intellectuals.

Really good chart breaking down cause of deaths in the U.S.:

Though I doubt this debate would be what it is if not for the emotion arising from the likes of mass murders, especially for those close to the victims. Otherwise, we can easily be a little numb to these sorts of tragedies, especially as they become more common place, but true enough..., rationally and from a practical standpoing, there really doesn't seem to be any good way to curb gun violence in America. Here's more chart breaking down the problem still further...

How U.S. gun deaths compare to other countries - CBS News

Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 AM

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: There is no magic to the phrase radical Islam. It is a political talking point. It is not a strategy.

And the reason I am careful about how I describe this threat has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with actually defeating extremism.

Groups like ISIL and al-Qaida want to make this war a war between Islam and America, or between Islam and the West. If we fall into the trap of painting all Muslims as a broad brush, and imply that we are at war with the entire religion, then we are doing the terrorists’ work for them.

But we are now seeing how dangerous this kind of mind-set and this kind of thinking can be. We are starting to see where this kind of rhetoric and loose talk and sloppiness about who exactly we are fighting, where this can lead us.

We now have proposals from the presumptive Republican nominee for president of the United States to bar all Muslims from emigrating into America. We hear language that singles out immigrants and suggests entire religious communities are complacent in violence.

Where does this stop? The Orlando killer, one of the San Bernardino killers, the Fort Hood killer, they were all U.S. citizens. Are we going to start treating all Muslim-Americans differently? Are we going to start subjecting them to special surveillance? Are we going to start discriminating against them because of their faith?

We have heard these suggestions during the course of this campaign. Do Republican officials actually agree with this?

We have gone through moments in our history before when we acted out of fear, and we came to regret it. We have seen our government mistreat our fellow citizens, and it has been a shameful part of our history.

This is a country founded on basic freedoms, including freedom of religion. We don’t have religious tests here. Our founders, our Constitution, our Bill of Rights are clear about that.

And if we ever abandon those values, we wouldn’t only make it a lot easier to radicalize people here and around the world, but we would have betrayed the very things we are trying to protect, the pluralism and the openness, our rule of law, our civil liberties, the very things that make this country great, the very things that make us exceptional.

And then the terrorists would have won. And we cannot let that happen. I will not let that happen.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:56 AM

643 posts, read 472,603 times
Waaaa Waaaaaa I am going to take my marbles and go home. LMAO Does anyone really care what this asshat said?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Though I doubt this debate would be what it is if not for the emotion arising from the likes of mass murders, especially for those close to the victims. Otherwise, we can easily be a little numb to these sorts of tragedies, especially as they become more common place, but true enough..., rationally and from a practical standpoing, there really doesn't seem to be any good way to curb gun violence in America. Here's more chart breaking down the problem still further...

How U.S. gun deaths compare to other countries - CBS News
You're irrationally reframing the issue. Look at the CAUSES of deaths. Firearms are WAY below illnesses as the cause of death, yet the Federal Government supplies food stamps to adults, resulting in a 44% obesity rate among adult food stamp recipients, which is 33% higher than the obesity rates of the income-eligible adults who DON'T get food stamps and those with higher income who of course aren't even eligible for food stamps (33% and 32%, respectively).

USDA's obesity rate data:

Income-eligible adults who get food stamps: 44% obesity rate.
Income-eligible adults who choose to not get food stamps: 33% obesity rate.
Non-income-eligible adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obesity rate.

Exhibit 5, here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

Old 06-15-2016, 10:10 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,329,087 times
Quote:
We could have a complete ban on guns in this entire country, and it STILL wouldn't work. Do you want to know why? You're assuming everyone would obey gun control laws. You assume everyone is law-abiding. I can assure you that thugs, felons, and terrorists aren't law-abiding people.
well... well...um.....

Drugs are illegal and its not like thugs, felons can get their hands on any drugs...

If guns were illegal it would be the same..

oh wait

Old 06-15-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You're irrationally reframing the issue. Look at the CAUSES of deaths. Firearms are WAY below illnesses as the cause of death, yet the Federal Government supplies food stamps to adults, resulting in a 44% obesity rate among adult food stamp recipients, which is 33% higher than the obesity rates of the income-eligible adults who DON'T get food stamps and those with higher income who of course aren't even eligible for food stamps (33% and 32%, respectively).

USDA's obesity rate data:

Income-eligible adults who get food stamps: 44% obesity rate.
Income-eligible adults who choose to not get food stamps: 33% obesity rate.
Non-income-eligible adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obesity rate.

Exhibit 5, here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf
I'm not "reframing the issue," rationally or irrationally. Now I see you are on a kick to use those sorts of adjectives to make whatever argument you want to make, but those statistics speak for themselves regardless how YOU want to frame your argument. Either way, your argument is not with me, because as I have pointed out many times already, I really don't think there is a way to stop gun violence in America.

Again, that "genie is out of the bottle."

That doesn't stop me from recognizing how exceptional the problem in America truly is however...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies