Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:59 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,229,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
As with everything else (that gun nuts love to ignore) it's a question of degree. No one is talking about banning all guns, and no on thinks that banning some guns will stop all mass shootings. It will make it more difficult, and again..you know that. You just don't care.

Everyone on this board knows that if the killer in Orlando had a pump action shotgun, he would not have been able to kill 49 and injure another 50. Everyone...every gun nut here. The bottom line is, you guys just don't care. You want your toys and your Red Dawn Fantasies, and that's obviously more important to you than anything else, including other peoples lives. And the more common sense people try to talk to you, the more you sink into your paranoia fantasy world where the government is out to get you. It just keeps feeding off itself.
I'm sure YOU don't care or understand that the vast majority of gun-owner's "toys" have never been and will never be used in the commission of a crime! Taking the firearms away from people that aren't criminals will only leave them unarmed! It won't have any effect on a determined killer!

And what everyone on this board should know is that if the news reports were accurate, the Orlando rampage lasted 3 hours! 180 freakin minutes! Hell, a one-armed man using a single shot bolt action rifle could have wreaked more havoc than was wreaked!

You can deny it all you want but I'd bet there was more than one of those people wishing that they'd been armed. It was, after all, armed people that finally stopped the shooter! You should never forget that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:47 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,793,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
That is a dishonest question. Of course the mayhem is unacceptable.
BUT...that doesn't mean we should pass worse than useless laws that
not only don't solve the problem, but make honest citizens vulnerable.
A "dishonest question?" I like that...

I can assure you my question was honest and deliberate, but you need not take such a question and draw the sort of conclusion you do, or to the number of "that doesn't mean..." scenarios, you're right. A question does NOT do other than beg an answer to the question.

A start, anyway, because if the answer to the question is as you state, rather emphatically I might add, then we do at least have a premise that we have a problem that should be addressed. How?

That does seem to be the "million dollar question" here, but more moments of silence isn't the answer I don't think...

Old 06-19-2016, 08:50 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,064 times
Now that progressive gun-haters have realized that the AR is not a machine gun and functionally no different than a semi-auto Remington hunting rifle they've expanded their rhetoric to include banning all semi-auto weapons. At coffee this morning some lady suggested that the musket would be fine for hunting.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,617,423 times
Default The NRA says it’s America’s most popular rifle...

Good reasons for its popularity:

compact
lightweight
accurate
reliable
low recoil

I don't own one, but I'd like to.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:54 AM

19,750 posts, read 10,188,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Good reasons for its popularity:

compact
lightweight
accurate
reliable
low recoil

I don't own one, but I'd like to.
They are out of my price range.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,793,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
When you ask most Republicans, or at least a Republican gun owner if they think assault weapons should be banned, he will say yes because he knows they already are.

That doesn't necessarily mean Republican gun owners are largely in favor of banning semi-automatic weapons like the AR-15.

Most Democrats don't have a clue what constitutes an "Assault Rifle" so of course they're all going to say yes, assault weapons should be banned. And the media, along with gun grabbing politicians purposely conflate automatics and semiautomatics to further their agenda.

It just goes to show that you can skew a pole any way you want if you ask the question the right way.

Oh, and by the way, the Australian government did not "offer" to buy back the banned weapons. The buy backs were mandatory .......which is pretty much confiscation with a happy face.
All fair enough, but when made clear that even Republican gun owners agree assault weapons should be banned, then that's already a bridge crossed that many gun-enthusiasts can't seem to manage, right?

Then there are those who don't know the particular differences as you rightly point out, but much like some people can't distinguish what is under the hood of a fast car that makes it fast, lots of people simply think an assault weapon is one that can fire bullets awfully fast, as compared to so many other weapons used for hunting for example, or a small hand gun or shot gun.

For those who are intent on making a case for banning automatic assault weapons vs semi-automatic assault weapons, the average American is just not so interested or vested I don't think. Right or wrong, the general public just wants those weapons that can be considered beyond the realm of hunting or target shooting, like fully automatic weapons, banned. How best to describe or define such weapons, be my guest, since most average Americans just don't drive around in cars designed for racing, if you catch my drift...

Old 06-19-2016, 09:17 AM

19,750 posts, read 10,188,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

For those who are intent on making a case for banning automatic assault weapons vs semi-automatic assault weapons, the average American is just not so interested or vested I don't think. Right or wrong, the general public just wants those weapons that can be considered beyond the realm of hunting or target shooting, like fully automatic weapons, banned. How best to describe or define such weapons, be my guest, since most average Americans just don't drive around in cars designed for racing, if you catch my drift...
Fully automatic weapons are already essentially banned. Very difficult to buy legally and very expensive.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:35 AM

10,814 posts, read 5,746,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
MCX uses a short stroke piston to engage the bolt to eject the chambered round and cycle to chamber a new one.

The AR-15 uses a direct impingement system which sends hot gases through a tube to directly hit the gas key on the bolt to actuate the bolt cycling.

Kind of like saying a RX-8 rotary is the same as a Miata, or asking what the functional difference between a Ferrari and a Hyundai are. Basics are the same, but you would never call a F-car a Hyundai.

This is also correct. Go back to the STG-44, M2 Carbine, M1 Garand, and further back and the BASICS of a firearm stay the same: part of the energy is directed back to be used to cycle the next round.
Except for the huge number of piston uppers available for AR's. Putting a piston upper on an AR doesn't make it "not an AR."

Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 AM

10,814 posts, read 5,746,640 times
Quote:
All fair enough, but when made clear that even Republican gun owners agree assault weapons should be banned, then that's already a bridge crossed that many gun-enthusiasts can't seem to manage, right?

Then there are those who don't know the particular differences as you rightly point out, but much like some people can't distinguish what is under the hood of a fast car that makes it fast, lots of people simply think an assault weapon is one that can fire bullets awfully fast, as compared to so many other weapons used for hunting for example, or a small hand gun or shot gun.

The gun grabbers have done a very good job of changing what the gun issue is all about. It has been very easy for them to convince large numbers of Americans that the gun issue is about hunting and target shooting. In that context, it is also easy to convince many Americans that evil black guns aren't necessary for hunting and target shooting, and as such, they should be banned outright, or at a minimum, the should be very restricted and tightly controlled. What the average American seems to have forgotten is that hunting and target shooting are NOT the reasons that the right to keep and bear arms was included in the Bill of Rights. Its much more important than that.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:27 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times
Quote:
Again, most gun owners. regardless of their political stripes know that "Assault Rifles" are fully automatic machine guns which are already banned. Whether they should be banned or not is more a matter of contention among gun owners. What most gun owners do agree upon is that no further regulations are necessary and that the laws as they currently exist have already placed an "infringement" on their 2nd amendment rights, regardless of Supreme Court rulings.

Quote:

What anti-gun rights activists don't seem to understand, (even the rare ones who do comprehend the difference between fully automatic and semi automatic), is just how many of these types of weapons are on the market and already out there in the hands of Americans. (0r maybe they do) because if you banned all semi automatic guns, you would be banning a fairly large chunk of the total guns sold in a America as well as how many are already owned. I don't have statistics on what percentage semi automatics are of the total guns sold in America on any given day, but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty high....probably over 50%.

Now, again.... one must remember that the 2nd amendment is not about hunting or target shooting.
Semi automatics are nothing new.....this is not gee-wiz Star Trek technology.
The first prototype semi automatics predate the 2nd amendment by 50 years. Although they did not become common in use by the military or the general public until the advent of World War One with the introduction of the M1911 45 caliber semi auto hand gun. It is only recently, with the advent of increased terrorism and other types of mass shootings that they have become the focus of gun control activists.

So, it is very plainly not the type of guns that shooters use that are causing the mass shootings.

How is this significant to the topic?

Because banning semi automatics would literally put the technology of what the law abiding public can own over 100 years behind not only the military but criminals who will scoff at such limitations.

To use your car analogy, banning all semi automatics would be like banning all cars more technologically advanced than a model T.

If the sheep are getting attacked by wolves, why would you disarm all the sheep or even restrict the type of weapons sheep can have to use against the wolves just because the government has a hard time telling the sheep from the wolves?

It is not the sheep's job to convince the government that they are sheep.

It is the sheep's right to protect themselves against the wolves because the government cannot. And it is also the sheep's right to be assumed to be sheep until they are proven to be wolves.

It is the governments duty to try to reduce the number of wolves, not the number of armed sheep.

Last edited by FatBob96; 06-19-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies