Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Let's just remember what H.G. Wells thought: Man's moral development would not keep pace with our capacity to invent. The dark side of technology is not only that technology could be used in a destructive fashion, but that the temptation would be almost overwhelming to use it that way.

Hence, years after Wells wrote of it, the world saw the introduction of aerial bombing, the tank, and the atomic bomb.

Like Will Rogers said...every war they come up with better and better ways of killing you.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The answer is, duh, yes. But the more important point is HOW FAR does one reasonably go to do so. Does our society expect each citizen to heavily arm him/herself to do so? Does each citizen hire his/her own security service? Etc. What is the 'reasonable' expectation of each citizen is the point. What does our society lead each citizen to EXPECT to do to secure one's own family? Simply provide a reasonable level of physical security in one's own home? Or to arm oneself with several firearms? Those are two very different responses to the situation, and with with very different sets of ramifications for the society (such as the ramification of stolen, high-powered weapons, airline pilots inadvertently shooting holes in airplanes, etc.). IMO, and this is common sense as well, the more weapons that are in the hands of citizens, the less safe are ALL the citizens.

Your simplistic answer, GET A GUN, isn't helpful to the overall situation.

"What a wise man does in the beginning only a fool does at the end." This saying means that, something that one person might do to address his/her own situation might not always be appropriate for EVERYONE in that society.
To me, the answer is NO. They have the responsibility to protect themselves. My only responsibility is to MYself.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The answer is, duh, yes. But the more important point is HOW FAR does one reasonably go to do so. Does our society expect each citizen to heavily arm him/herself to do so? Does each citizen hire his/her own security service? Etc. What is the 'reasonable' expectation of each citizen is the point. What does our society lead each citizen to EXPECT to do to secure one's own family? Simply provide a reasonable level of physical security in one's own home? Or to arm oneself with several firearms? Those are two very different responses to the situation, and with with very different sets of ramifications for the society (such as the ramification of stolen, high-powered weapons, airline pilots inadvertently shooting holes in airplanes, etc.). IMO, and this is common sense as well, the more weapons that are in the hands of citizens, the less safe are ALL the citizens.

Your simplistic answer, GET A GUN, isn't helpful to the overall situation.

"What a wise man does in the beginning only a fool does at the end." This saying means that, something that one person might do to address his/her own situation might not always be appropriate for EVERYONE in that society.

Agreed, noone is saying everyone should or has to get a gun. We are saying those of us that do are justified & its a right to do so. You are not expected to own a gun but you ae expected to take personal responsability for yourself. Just as a fire dept doesn't negate the need of fire extinguishers & smoke alarms a police force oesnt negate the need for a gun if you choose to defend yourself with one.

You can save society if you want, just leave my rights intact.
I'm concerened with my family not the world, but it seems simple that if everyone took their responsability seriously then the net outcome would be positive.

Tragically we had a cop die in the line of duty last week. He called in that he was checking out something suspicious & was found dead lieing on an AK47 a few minutes later. CT has an assault weapons ban so an all out manhunt was organized useing the FBI, state & other neighboring cops and our own.

Come to find out the man shot himself but was useing the AK47 & public panic over guns to cover it up & make it look like he was killed in the line of duty. Made a traggic event so much worse but it was only possible because of irrational people that blame the gun right away instead of looking at who was holding it.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Greatday SAVED HIS FAMILY BY USE OF DEADLY FORCE. HE SAVED HIS FAMILY FOR CHRIST SAKE. If he had not had a gun, he and members of his family would be DEAD!!!
Thank you. However, IMO, TD would rather my family have died - than to acknowledge a benefit of having a fire arm available. And, it is my hope, and desire, that never again will I be in a position to be forced to take someones life.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Ellenton, FL. The 300 block of Shore Drive had a break in. Thieves stole several handguns as well as a 2001 Lexus. THANK GOD that homeowner exercised his constitutional right to own handguns...now there's more on the street.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Zulu Nation

Triumph of "Stone Age" weaponry over firearms...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Ellenton, FL. The 300 block of Shore Drive had a break in. Thieves stole several handguns as well as a 2001 Lexus. THANK GOD that homeowner exercised his constitutional right to own handguns...now there's more on the street.
Question: Would you have rathered that my family and myself die?

Yes or no please

Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM

881 posts, read 1,589,500 times
Default Holy Guacamole!!

Dude, 133 pages to a thread!!?!? Incredible!

But I am sorry to disappoint you anti-gun folks. The U.S. Supreme Court will soon issue its ruling (probably on a 5-4 victory for gun owners, but some area saying 2moderate- liberals might join in and make it 7-2, with of course, crazy left-wing extremist Ruth Bader Ginsburg went once again against the people and for the Nazi/Totalitarian anti-gun, 100% government oppression crowd). But she and the other moron Justice who are fighting everyday against individual liberties of Americans will be defeated. The Constitution is crystal clear in the RIGHT of the PEOPLE to keep and bear. This is what has ensured the survival of the US Republic for over 200 years.

After this pro-gun ruling, the Nazi/Fascist/Totalitarian crowds of anti-gun, of pro-government totalitarianism and ultimate control will have to pipe down for a change and accept the fact that Americans have an God-given RIGHT (not a favor or a privilege - a RIGHT, an absolute RIGHT) to keep and bear arms.

Amen.

Here is an article:

FOXNews.com - In Second Amendment Case, High Court Majority Appears to Support Individual Right to Own Guns - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Ps. To those who dislike Dick Cheney.... he went against the moron U.S. attorney who was anti-gun and drafted his own brief where over 300 members of Congress (including Democrats) signed and passed on to the Supreme Court. The Cheney brief was on behalf of the PEOPLE, as Cheney understands the Right to Keep and Bear is absolutely necessary as a guarantee of American freedom, safety, and liberty.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Zulu Nation

Triumph of "Stone Age" weaponry over firearms...
RORKES DRIFT
Rorke's Drift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just give up dude

Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I wouldn't trust Wikipedia as a source, since it's user-written. There's no guarantees for veracity. I do recall how Zulu warriors were often victorious against British guns, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies