Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 AM

358 posts, read 518,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Weapons are the problem. You chose YOUR way of protecting your life, and I'll choose mine.

I would challenge any of you "gun-toter's" to run a police training course...and find out how many innocent civilians you killed...or how many crooks killed you before your reflexes kicked in.

I have ran a police course many time without hitting any friendly targets at all, better than most of the cops in my area too.

as far as reflexes, I am always in orange unless I am asleep.

and if you don't know what I mean by orange, then please go take a course before you spout off at the mouth.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:43 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Weapons are the problem. You chose YOUR way of protecting your life, and I'll choose mine.

I would challenge any of you "gun-toter's" to run a police training course...and find out how many innocent civilians you killed...or how many crooks killed you before your reflexes kicked in.
I & many others run them several times a year. More than most cops.

Even so, thats a silly thing to say. We arent here to chase bad guys down. Its very uncommon for a person getting robbed or assaulted to have trouble ascertaining who the bad guy is. Thats what most tactical entry or police firearms courses cover.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Steal? That would imply I'm keeping it. I'm not keeping it, I'm disarming someone with a weapon. Because a person carrying a weapon is a danger to me.

No matter how you rationalize it what you describe is stealing. If you arent going to keep itwhat are your plans? Toss it in the gutter for another child or a criminal to find?
By your own admittance human hands can be & are weapons. Do you promoye going around breaking peoples hands?

A permit holding citizen represents one of the lowest dangers you might face in the real world.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Like I could afford one of those. Nope, no "shrink", sorry, you're wrong on THAT issue as well.
Just because a person cant afford something dont mean they arent in need of it.

Quote:
This is no utopia, like you seem to think. Other people are a danger--
"man is a wolf to his fellow man". I recognize that, instead of looking at the world through rose-colored glasses. I'm a REALIST.
About what others have been saying thruought this thread, only difference is you are not a realist if you think your hands can save you from an armed man. I'm not speaking about a drunk in a bar, those are easy. Some day, I hope it never comes, but you might find someone intent on harming you that isn't intimidated by size or meanness.

Nobody here is suggesting we live in utopia. We all understand the need for individual protection. Why you would deny it to millions of others simply because of unfounded paranoia is the issue at hand.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitpicker View Post
First, I apologize for my rant earlier. The moderator has apparently deleted my post, so be it, but I would ask that the moderator also watch for the absolute nonsense arguments of others. My rant was in response.

So, as promised, in the deleted post, a related topic for discussion.

The Morning News - Local News for Northwest Arkansas
The Morning News: News : Bill Forces States To Accept Concealed Gun Permits (http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/04/14/news/041508dcgunrecip.txt - broken link).

Bill Forces States To Accept Concealed Gun Permits
Last updated Monday, April 14, 2008 8:06 PM CDT in News
By Aaron Sadler
THE MORNING NEWS

WASHINGTON -- Americans with state-issued concealed weapons permits would be allowed to carry guns wherever they travel in the country under a bill introduced Monday by 3rd District Rep. John Boozman, R-Rogers.
The measure would eliminate a mishmash of concealed weapons regulations that vary from state to state, Boozman contends. All states would be forced to recognize concealed handgun permits from elsewhere.
Gun control advocates oppose the bill. They say that gun permit standards in some states are so weak that other jurisdictions deserve the right to refuse those license holders.
Boozman said the bill ensures Second Amendment rights.
"I've always felt like you can have a gun, openly display it, and there not be a problem," he said. That some states reject licensed permits from other states "infringes on the Constitution."
Nearly 62,000 Arkansans have concealed gun permits.

Arkansas permit holders are allowed to carry a concealed weapon in 27 states, including every neighboring state.
Arkansas recognizes permits issued in 30 states.
Fourteen states do not recognize permits issued elsewhere.
"You have friends who are used to having a gun in their car and things like that, then inadvertently being over the state line or out of state and being concerned they were running afoul of state law," Boozman said.
Boozman's bill would require even Illinois and Wisconsin, which do not have right-to-carry laws, to recognize licenses issued in other states.
A bipartisan group of 33 House members are co-sponsors of the bill, Boozman said.
He acknowledged that it may be difficult to gain enough support for the legislation, and said there is anti-gun sentiment in the Democratic-led Congress. But he cited statistics that indicate crime decreases in states with concealed guns laws.
According to a study cited by the National Rifle Association, violent crime declined each year from 1977 to 1994 in jurisdictions where a concealed gun law was in effect.
Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said his organization is not anti-gun, but it opposes the bill because of its impact on states.
"There are already too many states that have too weak a system of approving people for concealed-carry permits," Hamm said. "I don't think the majority of states want to rely on the systems of other states to let someone carry a loaded, concealed handgun across state borders."
For instance, Florida's standards are so low that some death-row inmates there have permits, he said.
Arkansas at one time had minimum reciprocity requirements, said state police spokesman Bill Sadler. Those regulations mandated that other states' training standards must be equal to or stronger than Arkansas' minimum requirements for a permit holder.
The General Assembly since has stripped those requirements, Sadler said.
Sadler said he would not comment on the merits of Boozman's bill until he had seen the proposed legislation.
Boozman said he feels strongly that Americans should be allowed to carry guns.
"I grew up in Arkansas, and it was not uncommon to see people in high school with gun racks in the back of their trucks, who would go squirrel hunting after school was over," Boozman said. "To be honest, it's something I always felt like there wasn't any question we could do these things."
His 26-year-old daughter, Kristen Boozman, has an Arkansas concealed weapons permit, as do other family members, he said. The congressman himself does not.

Comments any one?
I think this is just common sense legislation. The fact its taken so long goes a long way towards exposing the fact that the govt cares not one bit about our 2nd amendment. If they did then the day after permits became law reciprocity would have been introduced & passed.

If permits are the way we do things they need to be issued on a shall issue basis & recognized nationwide, just as automobiles.
Its still infringement but much more reasonable.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:44 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
1. who do we need to call to support this bill?

2. Is there an "ignore" feature on this board? There's someone I've wasted enough brain cells on for one lifetime.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Did an adult write this?
He's either 13 yrs. old or deranged. Better to ignore him and just shake your head at his nonsense.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
1. who do we need to call to support this bill?

2. Is there an "ignore" feature on this board? There's someone I've wasted enough brain cells on for one lifetime.
As to number 2: On top of any page, click My Settings. In the left column find Settings and Options, Edit Ignore List. Type in name and click Okay. You're done.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:

as a matter of fact, they do have these training courses in Boulder, Colorado. I can tell you that Bitpicker fairs extremly good at these lights out events

yea, they have you use a flashlight and your firearm during the event, and turn out the lights.

You are now saying what we have been for a long long time now, you choose your way to defend yourself, we will choose ours. You do NOT need to ban our choice, just as we would not ban your choice.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Steal? That would imply I'm keeping it. I'm not keeping it, I'm disarming someone with a weapon. Because a person carrying a weapon is a danger to me.
steal (stl)
v. stole (stl), sto·len (stln), steal·ing, steals
v.tr.
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.
3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.
4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
5. Baseball To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.
v.intr.
1. To commit theft.
2. To move, happen, or elapse stealthily or unobtrusively.
3. Baseball To steal a base.
n.
1. The act of stealing.
2. Slang A bargain.
3. Baseball A stolen base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies