Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
As to number 2: On top of any page, click My Settings. In the left column find Settings and Options, Edit Ignore List. Type in name and click Okay. You're done.
Ahhh. A little mosquito that's been buzzing around my ear all this time is finally silenced.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
1. who do we need to call to support this bill?

2. Is there an "ignore" feature on this board? There's someone I've wasted enough brain cells on for one lifetime.

If you arent alreadu you should get involved with GOA (Gun owners of America) They are a great bunch & IMO better than the NRA in the legal arena, they dont compromise on constitutional things.

If you get on their mailing list you'll be made aware of things like this frequently. All across the country theres been a shift towards a more pro gun attitude. From relaxing carry requiremenyts to castle doctrine to laws preventing confiscation after natural disasters. Things not many people are aware of because it doesn't make the news. Gun owners finally seem to be realizing that silence is interpreted as acceptance & by voicing their opinions legislation representative of the peoples desires is finally coming about.

There was a recent bill, in AZ I think, that if made law would hold states liable if they created "Gun free zones" & a crime was commited in one that could have been prevented by an armed civilian.

Anyway GOA will keep you abrest of all antigun stuff, even that backed by the NRA.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Stellar, thanks for the info!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
well, you are a fascist, and the state should be providing one for you, since you think it is alright to take someone else's Constitutional right away from them without even due process.
The state should not provide ANYTHING...especially something that isn't necessary.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Just because a person cant afford something dont mean they arent in need of it.

About what others have been saying thruought this thread, only difference is you are not a realist if you think your hands can save you from an armed man. I'm not speaking about a drunk in a bar, those are easy. Some day, I hope it never comes, but you might find someone intent on harming you that isn't intimidated by size or meanness.

Nobody here is suggesting we live in utopia. We all understand the need for individual protection. Why you would deny it to millions of others simply because of unfounded paranoia is the issue at hand.
Weapons are what we need to be protected from...without weapons, everyone has the EQUAL capacity to protect themselves. If they choose NOT to learn HOW, that's their problem. If they choose to do work that does NOT keep them in top physical condition, that's their problem. I'm not mean, I'm not tall and husky--I'm short and wiry. But I'm STRONG, because life demands strength....and cleverness.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No matter how you rationalize it what you describe is stealing. If you arent going to keep itwhat are your plans? Toss it in the gutter for another child or a criminal to find?
By your own admittance human hands can be & are weapons. Do you promoye going around breaking peoples hands?

A permit holding citizen represents one of the lowest dangers you might face in the real world.
Unload it.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Guns are tools incapable of thought or action. People are not. People are responsible for their actions & capable of causing great tragedy when they need help & its not forthcoming.

All the recent mass shooting had one thing in common, besides the use of a gun. The perpretators were mentally ill, most to the degree it was recognized, but because its a free country they could ignore diagnosis or refuse treatment. Almost to a man they were known sociopaths who freely talked about their lack of trust in others & value of human life.

Now then, I will never promote compulsive treatment, but the fact is obvious that such deranged individuals among us necessitate prudent defensive measures.

The state need not provide anything except for the means of the citizenry to defend itself from those that would do us harm. Even if the harm is caused by someone to unstable too realize they are wrong.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Guns are tools incapable of thought or action. People are not. People are responsible for their actions & capable of causing great tragedy when they need help & its not forthcoming.

All the recent mass shooting had one thing in common, besides the use of a gun. The perpretators were mentally ill, most to the degree it was recognized, but because its a free country they could ignore diagnosis or refuse treatment. Almost to a man they were known sociopaths who freely talked about their lack of trust in others & value of human life.

Now then, I will never promote compulsive treatment, but the fact is obvious that such deranged individuals among us necessitate prudent defensive measures.

The state need not provide anything except for the means of the citizenry to defend itself from those that would do us harm. Even if the harm is caused by someone to unstable too realize they are wrong.
You already have those means, without necessitating the use of a WEAPON.

Call the "tool" by its proper name, a WEAPON. Ever since Cain picked up the rock, the human race has gone downhill.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Unload it.
How do you know if a gun you dont even know about is loaded or not?

What gives you the right to override state laws that grant a person the right to have a loaded gun on their person?

A cop cant even do that without cause, nor can a judge, court or anyone else.

Short of my commiting a crime I have every right to carry a loaded gun anywhere I go in my state & most others, save for Federal buildings, schools & a few other places.
If you attempt to take it & live you will go to prison. At that point there will be no more room left for this silly argument you pose.
You will be a felon & no less a criminal than the rapists & murderers you will serve time with.

I gather you live in Fla, theres an aweful lot of legal conceled handguns there. You should try tonight to put into action your rhetoric.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Weapons are what we need to be protected from...without weapons, everyone has the EQUAL capacity to protect themselves. If they choose NOT to learn HOW, that's their problem. If they choose to do work that does NOT keep them in top physical condition, that's their problem. I'm not mean, I'm not tall and husky--I'm short and wiry. But I'm STRONG, because life demands strength....and cleverness.
Anything can be a weapon, criminals are not going to go one on one unless they know they have the advantage, a good example is the other day an 80 year old man was gathering cans in his alley, 5 teens attacked him for no reason other to do harm, now he's dead, how was he suspose to fend off 5 attackers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies