Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The point isn't that companies shouldn't TRY to be like Google, it is that they shouldn't be MANDATED to be like Google.
Please see my post immediately following yours about working at Google. I've heard it put, "Choose which 16 hours of the day you want to work, and which half day a week you want off."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
The original intent of the words enshrined in the U.S. Constitution.
But you Ayn Rand ideologues dont really have any arguments for why you want so much suffering for workers. It just boils down to your claim that the constitution says that freedom means full freedom for private tyrannies to exploit workers as they please. If workers risk dying because of hazardous working conditions or worked to death, they can "just get another job", with no thoughts spared to the massive disparity of power between a lone ranger (employee) and a platoon (employer). You claim that FDR wasnt even an American. Its crazy.

Last edited by PCALMike; 06-20-2016 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Are you corporate America? Are you making 66 million a year as CEO? If you are one of those guys I see your point.

However, if you are just an employee defending no vacation time and longer work hours I do not get your point.
You do realize that 99% of the businesses in this country are not run by CEOs making "66 million a year", right? You realize that 99% of the businesses in this country are small businesses, right? You realize that many people work full time at these small businesses, right? You realize that if you don't like the perks or benefits offered by one company, you're free to find another company that can give you more of what you want, right? You do realize that vacation time, health coverage, sick days, etc are not things that employers "have" to offer anyone, right? You do realize that if you're worth anything at all, you can negotiate for some of the things you want, right?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Freedom.
Then I'm sure you're very much against jailing people for victimless crimes, police being able to take citizens' belongings without a warrant, pro-choice, against government surveillance, against putting people on no-fly lists without due process, against eminent domain, etc, right?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You do realize that 99% of the businesses in this country are not run by CEOs making "66 million a year", right? You realize that 99% of the businesses in this country are small businesses, right? You realize that many people work full time at these small businesses, right? You realize that if you don't like the perks or benefits offered by one company, you're free to find another company that can give you more of what you want, right? You do realize that vacation time, health coverage, sick days, etc are not things that employers "have" to offer anyone, right? You do realize that if you're worth anything at all, you can negotiate for some of the things you want, right?
And this severe lack of bargaining power causes American workers to have the lowest average number of vacation days in the developed world and last year HALF of all workers didnt take any vacation days (because of fear, fear, fear). What's so great about this? It makes a complete mockery of the term "freedom". Its also worth noting that historically, the type of society that you want has led to extreme revolts and both left and right wing extremism. Why you are so hellbent on going down that route, who knows...

Old 06-21-2016, 01:09 AM

488 posts, read 1,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"How much vacation time do you give your employees?"

I am still waiting for an answer from PCAL
Hell, I read all 22 pages looking for his answer and never found it.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:27 AM

521 posts, read 292,964 times
Yes, people are not slaves! I'm shocked that only 50% voted yes!

Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
I do not need the government to ensure I get two weeks vacation. I won't work for any company that will not start me off with at least three. However, I am no tyrant who wishes to impose my views on others. If some wish to work with no vacation so be it.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
The point isn't that companies shouldn't TRY to be like Google, it is that they shouldn't be MANDATED to be like Google.
Some companies are progressive and provided generous benefits to the workers such as extensive vacation and maternity leave.

Others are stingy and guided by the bottom dollar at all times. It is called the old fashion corporate culture where the employees are seeing as units that simply reduce the bottom line.

In this mindset worker exploitation is acceptable to them and it is a cultural value. Sadly, some employees (like you) also share this cultural value and become and pinch hit and defend the oppressive system at all times. In the end you guys become Jüdischer Ordnungsdienst and fail to see the philosophical point.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If have no issues with struggling small business not been able to provide as much as the big boys. In this instance they should become a family business.

Expecting workers to slave away is never justified because these folks have NO CHOICES. When you say they can look elsewhere you are naive or pretend to be naive.

A good employer recognizes the enhanced productivity of workers that are treated well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies