Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You folks sound like the actual owners of these greedy corporations. Defend the need to maximize profits, the need to keep shareholders happy, to try and optimize earnings and excuse even the most sleazy business practices often acting as an extension of official corporation spokespeople. A great PR done for free by folks that are stuck in the past.

Bring back the sweatshops, the 80 hour week, and eliminate the weekends.
Why are these evil owners considered "greedy", but the employee that wants weeks of vacation and a high salary not considered "greedy"?

Yes, they do sound like business owners. And you sound like someone that has no concept of how a business actually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Having leisure time is important for a healthy lifestyle.

This is a true statement, which is why almost nine out of ten companies offer full-time employees leave and holiday pay.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why is the government banning online gambling, 21 years legal age for alcohol, executing people, banning marijuana, creating a massive prison industrial complex + a military industrial complex and giving huge gifts to the big pharma industries?

Most people who want progress want a reduced government in many areas and an increased role in other areas. The goal of the government should be to serve and represent the American people, everyone, not just the donor class.
Maybe that is what YOU think the role of government should be. I believe the founders had the correct vision that the government's role is national security, ensuring interstate commerce and protecting our Constitutional Rights. THAT's IT!

State and local governments have more active roles in regard to education, city planning, crime, etc., but the basic role of all government should be protection of the citizens and NOT deciding what companies win or lose, who can marry whom, who has to pay for whose medical care, providing a national pension fund, etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Not true. According to polls, HALF of all workers in America took no vacation last year. People are terrified! With no mandatory vacation, workers feel the need to work, work, work, or lose their job, their health insurance or not be promoted. Its a terrible rat race, and workers deserve a break. With a mandatory time off for all workers, the rat race becomes a little less extreme. It sets a minimum floor for vacation time and of course workers can negotiate for more.
My husband only takes 2 of the 4 weeks of vacation he gets a year. He likes his job, and likes even more the check that comes every year for the unpaid vacation hours he's not taken.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Having leisure time is important for a healthy lifestyle.
Fine. Live a life that guarantees you have that. You might go hungry a lot, and live with 10 or so roommates, and ride the bus for transportation. But you'll have a lifestyle that you choose.

Oh wait, you want SOMEONE ELSE to fund that lifestyle? Hahahahahaha

Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Fine. Live a life that guarantees you have that. You might go hungry a lot, and live with 10 or so roommates, and ride the bus for transportation. But you'll have a lifestyle that you choose.

Oh wait, you want SOMEONE ELSE to fund that lifestyle? Hahahahahaha
what did your parents do to you?

how awful for you to think that no one deserves a single day off with pay.

are you working right now? is your boss aware that you're stealing by surfing the internet?

or are you like every other conservative on here who claims they're a business owner LOL

Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
what did your parents do to you?

how awful for you to think that no one deserves a single day off with pay.

are you working right now? is your boss aware that you're stealing by surfing the internet?

or are you like every other conservative on here who claims they're a business owner LOL
Show me where I think nobody deserves a day off with pay. But you won't find it, because I think it's important. So important, that I managed to NEGOTIATE vacation pay, all on my little lonesome, without Nanny Government standing behind me.

And no, I'm not working. But if I were, it would be none of your business. Because, again, what goes on between myself and my employer is nobody's business, especially the government's.

I know you're not a business owner. Your level of ignorance with regards to the true workings of a business proves that.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Considering that the US has the least vacation time of any developed country in the world and the only country that doesnt guarantee workers at least some vacation time, do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?

When America Came 'This Close' to Establishing a 30-Hour Workweek | Alternet
The more you mandate, the less people can negotiate. Different people value different things, the government has no business telling me or my employer how many weeks I should/shouldn't work in a year.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why are these evil owners considered "greedy", but the employee that wants weeks of vacation and a high salary not considered "greedy"?
I have no issues with huge profits, but Wal Mart pays minimum wage even though they make 19 billion USD in profits. There has to be a balance.

Quote:
Yes, they do sound like business owners. And you sound like someone that has no concept of how a business actually works.
I am 100% in favor of capitalism, but the good capitalists have a sense of honor and know when they are accumulating excessive wealth. At that point the company is treated like a team where everybody feels needed and welcomed. There is no need to enter the exploitation zone for the sake of business principles. I get your point, but obviously you do not get the point of providing workers with decent benefits that can lead to a better more healthy lifestyle.

How much vacation can you take every year?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:05 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
60 hour weeks are not mandatory and are a rarity in my current position. I do not view my career as "working for the man" rather I take pride in my contributions to the organization and I do what it takes to contribute value to the company. I am paid well and I have no issues with the vacation time that I negotiated.

When you start your own company, I look forward to hearing about your generous vacation package and under 40 hour work weeks. You will be inundated with resumes, I am sure!
There are many European countries where they work short hours and are vastly productive. Germans are well under 30 hours a week and have a better lifestyle that YOU. Nevertheless, you defend your employer's decision to make you work long hours and provide you with a few days off a year. Are you rationalizing your position in the company? Do you truly believe you are valued? Let me tell you a secret: Denial is not a river in Egypt. German and Dutch workers have a better lifestyle that YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies