Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 09:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Repost...

FYI: POLICE PROTOCOL -- If the suspect points a gun at someone, or reaches for a gun in a way that indicates they're going to shoot, police are allowed to fire. Police are trained to shoot at "center mass," or a suspect's torso where many vital organs are located."

Again, sounds like shoot to kill to me, though agreed it is also easier and/or more likely to hit the assailant in "center mass" instead of the head, so a bit of both is why protocol is to shoot "where many vital organs are located."
once again you show your ignorance. you want to stop someone from from going further in a criminal act. if you deem deadly force necessary to save your life, you are permitted to use said force. that said, once again you want to STOP the person, not necessarily kill them. some criminals will stop before they die, some wont. that is their choice, as the criminal drives the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:10 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sorry but you are just being completely dishonest! If you don't intent to have a candid and honest discussion, let's just agree to disagree.

How is that hard to say? In US, we have more guns than people. Had gun ownership inspired acts of violence with any kind of correlation/causation, we would have seen violent crime rate in USA being off the chart, topping at least top 5 in the world but it is not at all. Even we use the completely screwed up, dishonest and unethical statistics of so called "firearm related death," US is still not even near the top.

In fact, if we remove inner city gang violence and suicide from so called "gun death," the violence in US is no worse than any western developed countries with strict gun controls. It has been proven over and over again but you refuse to accept that.

Guns are the weapon of choice for violent criminals because our gun control laws only target law abiding citizens. If you truly want to reduce gun violence, lets focus our gun control laws on the criminals.

Let me introduce you to the Project Exile, which NRA supports but the Democrats violently object because it's targeting their voter base. It proves yet again that Democrats don't care about saving lives.
You accuse me of being "dishonest," simply because I point out (with reference site) that guns tend to be the weapon of choice when it comes to homicides? Then you state "yet again that Democrats don't care about saving lives?" I would like to have that "candid and honest discussion" you go on about, but given history, it seems that is simply not likely between us for obvious reasons.

No need to give me your reasons yet again, and/or please tell me something I don't know (without all the heavy rhetoric), possible?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do you know how to think?

Japan, a country with strict gun control, has almost 4 times of suicide rate of US. Is that because lack of guns drove those Japanese to suicide?
No, of course according to you I don't know how to think, but not too long ago I did a bit of research into the cause of suicide in Japan. You?

Aren't rude comments like yours generally deleted as a rule in this forum?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, the answer is to ban all drugs?

Good point, we know that druggies steal drugs from those with prescriptions and they rob pharmacies, so let's ban all drugs. Sure the people who legally use them will no longer have them, but that is what must be done.
Or seriously folks, what have we done about drugs?

At least part of the answer is that we have not banned all of them.

Much the problem when it comes to this subject is the inclination for too many to go to far extremes, "all or nothing" scenarios rather than more sensible targeted measures.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
You accuse me of being "dishonest," simply because I point out (with reference site) that guns tend to be the weapon of choice when it comes to homicides? Then you state "yet again that Democrats don't care about saving lives?" I would like to have that "candid and honest discussion" you go on about, but given history, it seems that is simply not likely between us for obvious reasons.

No need to give me your reasons yet again, and/or please tell me something I don't know (without all the heavy rhetoric), possible?

Incorrect. I didn't accuse you of being dishonest. I said you were being dishonest because you said and I quote and see the highlighted part:

Quote:
Clever, but I think you miss the point. People with evil intent just tend to favor the use of guns to perpetrate their evil. Sorry, but that's just the fact. Please don't shoot the messenger...

https://www.quandl.com/data/FBI/WEAP...by-Weapon-Type

Whether or not this means that guns tend to inspire acts of violence, hard to say.

Or do guns simply make it easier? I think perhaps so.

Maybe best to start with the question, why do guns rank so highly when it comes to weapons used to commit acts of violence?

That's about all I've got time for again today...

Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM

50,313 posts, read 47,056,299 times
If it was shoot to kill then Cops wouldn't try to do CPR on a perp after a shooting yet they do.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Here are 10 quick examples and included in the article is a link to the crime prevention research site. Should give you all the solid data you need.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ass-shootings/
Thank you, but "10 quick examples" is exactly what I'm talking about. Someone posted with a fair amount of confidence that the count was 500,000 in one year but with no source of such numbers. Never said there were NO such cases, but 10 is not 500,000. 10 is nothing really, if the idea is to demonstrate that civilians with guns somehow reduce crime. As your article also admits, "Naturally, such examples will be rare." Agreed!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
No, of course according to you I don't know how to think, but not too long ago I did a bit of research into the cause of suicide in Japan. You?

Aren't rude comments like yours generally deleted as a rule in this forum?
Rude? Was that not rude for you to post dishonest information to support your "argument?"

Let's be honest and candid here, which means do your own diligence and filter out the garbage, propaganda, and misinformation and focus on the facts and truth.

Can we do that?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
floorist is right. in the 1994 gun ban, the AR15 was in fact banned from production. however the ruger mini14 was not. what was the difference? both were chambering the same round, had similar barrel lengths, had similar ammunition capacities, both were semi automatic rifles. so what was the difference between the rifles? the AR15 LOOKED like the M16, where as the ruger mini14 didnt. as such the scary black rifle was banned, but the not scary not black rifle wasnt.

the so called assault weapons ban made no sense to begin with, because you could still manufacture AR15s, you just needed to remove a few items, and viola it was then legal.
I repeat...

"Yes, of course I've read all versions of how an assault weapon may be defined, and I have heard all argument both pro and con as to the worthiness of efforts to ban such a weapon. Point at any comment I have written anywhere that suggests I don't well understand all of this...

In fact, the point of this thread...

What is an assault weapon?

... is to generally raise the question as to whether ANY weapon might be so defined and/or banned that can kill so many people in such a short period of time. Needless to say, as also pointed out in this thread again, there are many such weapons already in the hands of all too many people to think any ban can really keep a nut case with such a weapon from doing what this one did in Florida, but if this keeps up, I can only guess what measures may be taken to keep these sorts of weapons from being sold.

Do I think there is an answer or solution that will effectively prevent another such act of terrorism with such a weapon in America, frankly no. Are there rightful questions as to why in America unlike any of the other advanced countries in the world? I think so.

Does this mean I don't know or understand all aspects of the gun-control debate? Hardly!"

Old 07-01-2016, 09:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Thank you, but "10 quick examples" is exactly what I'm talking about. Someone posted with a fair amount of confidence that the count was 500,000 in one year but with no source of such numbers. Never said there were NO such cases, but 10 is not 500,000. 10 is nothing really, if the idea is to demonstrate that civilians with guns somehow reduce crime. As your article also admits, "Naturally, such examples will be rare." Agreed!
500,000 is hyperbole.

30,000 deaths by firearms is hyperbole. Can't factor suicide into the equation.

So both sides use skewed 'facts' to accomplish... Nothing.

However, I would suggest you read the crime prevention link at the bottom of the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies