Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 05:59 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarArt1980 View Post
More than just bashing every liberal idea, I'm legitimately curious what the conservative solution is. Please enlighten me.
There is no solution. Criminals by their nature will violate laws especially gun laws. Thus there is no solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Conservatives only have two solutions to every problem.

More guns

Lower taxes
And closed minded progressives only want to repeat the tired old propaganda they have been fed and refuse to seek any solution that does not involve government usurpation of citizens' rights.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
More than just bashing every liberal idea, I'm legitimately curious what the conservative solution is. Please enlighten me.
A few decades ago, Israeli schools were easy targets for Hamas, Hezbollah, the Islamic Jihad and other terrorist groups. Israel's solution? They armed the teachers. Result? Attacks on Israeli schools almost entirely stopped. It proves one very important point. Would be shooters are cowards. They don't like attacking places where somebody might shoot back.

Expand this concept to every attractive target for mass shootings.

... or you could do it the Liberal way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJTenNzUKM

Old 06-23-2016, 06:14 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
A few decades ago, Israeli schools were easy targets for Hamas, Hezbollah, the Islamic Jihad and other terrorist groups. Israel's solution? They armed the teachers. Result? Attacks on Israeli schools completely stopped. It proves one very important point. Would be shooters are cowards. They don't like attacking places where somebody might shoot back.

Hmm. Conservatives in America generally have a low opinion of public schools and public school teachers. Perhaps Israel differs.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Well, let's see....
the liberals want more background checks, believing that such will stop mass shootings.
the problem is, the Orlando shooter and the Ca shooters got their weapons LEGALLY, after passing the background checks, as did the Navy yard shooter.
the background checks accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Background checks on private party sales? Sure, give me a phone number that I can call, FREE, to run a background check on anybody who wants to buy a gun from me, and I will gladly make the call. By the way, how do you plan to enforce such a law?

Sorry, but IMO NO law is better than a BAD law or a useless law or an unenforceable law!

I am all in favor of "common sense" gun control laws. IMO, such a law WILL prevent any more mass shootings, and will decrease gang shootings. I do not believe ANY of the proposed laws I have read about will actually accomplish anything! There seems to be little or no "common sense" in any of them.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:22 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Hmm. Conservatives in America generally have a low opinion of public schools and public school teachers. Perhaps Israel differs.
I'm Libertarian, so I'm both liberal and conservative ... but most Conservatives I know think very highly of schoolteachers. Perhaps your experience is very different from mine.

One thing is certain. Teachers at all levels tend to lean towards being more liberal. Many would find the idea of being thoroughly vetted, trained and armed "icky." So unlike Israelis, we would likely need parents to volunteer as classroom guards -- after being thoroughly vetted and trained of course. Many would undoubtedly provide their own guns and protect the children free of charge.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Wrong again. Low opinion of public schools? Have you seen the horrendous statistics regarding public schools recently? Graduates who can't read. Graduates who can't answer basic questions regarding history or government? Yeah, public schools have failed our children in tons of ways.

Teachers? Nothing wrong with most teachers, it is the teachers' unions that are the problem.

I really love how you think you speak for conservatives. Are you a conservative?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I'm Libertarian, so I'm both liberal and conservative ... but most Conservatives I know think very highly of schoolteachers. Perhaps your experience is very different from mine.

One thing is certain. Teachers at all levels tend to lean towards being more liberal. Many would find the idea of being thoroughly vetted, trained and armed "icky." So unlike Israelis, we would likely need parents to volunteer as classroom guards -- after being thoroughly vetted and trained of course. Many would undoubtedly provide their own guns and protect the children free of charge.

Thank you for confirming what I just posted.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Not following the sit-in much, but all I see in my facebook feed is backlash to "Obama taking everyone's guns". I'm not anti-gun but it just seems like every republican post about gun control is to attack any idea from the left that might make it harder to obtain a gun, vs addressing the issue. .

BTW: I'd be happy to trade gun-free zones for some more restrictive background checks, as a start.

Maybe because the only way the left addresses the issue is more restrictions on guns?

Gun control is a hardware based solution to a software based problem.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
A few decades ago, Israeli schools were easy targets for Hamas, Hezbollah, the Islamic Jihad and other terrorist groups. Israel's solution? They armed the teachers. Result? Attacks on Israeli schools almost entirely stopped. It proves one very important point. Would be shooters are cowards. They don't like attacking places where somebody might shoot back.

The teachers are not armed. Israeli schools have security personnel. Some of that personnel carry guns on field trips as added precaution when they are near certain Arab areas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-r...schools-claim/
http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsIte...2/Default.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies