Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,564,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
See that's the problem. Yourself and millions of others have formulated an opinion without knowing any of the facts. The media has stoked the flames of racial hatred. The fact is no one in the public knows exactly what happened yet this cop is condemned. I hope when all the smoke is cleared the POS governor has the balls to apologize to this cop.
with all due respect, you have also formulated your own opinion without knowing facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I have heard for the past week that the cop in Minnesota who shot Castillo is wrong. Can anyone here tell me why he was wrong? Can anyone back any of their assertions with facts? The only video is after the shooting. Does anyone have any substantial proof? Personally this cop is NOT going to be indicted! I hope this cop gets the apology he deserves!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:10 PM

1,323 posts, read 590,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
See, this is the problem. You think it's okay for an officer to tell you do anything and you should do it. In this, he should be able to require you to sing a song of his choosing, or he'll shoot you. Perhaps similar to the officer that was recently jailed for putting pressure on women to have sex with him...or else.

You miss totally what most of us are asking for -- a totally professional police force that operates ONLY based on established legal procedures.
This! A thousand times.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM

29,699 posts, read 14,791,616 times
Quote:
See, this is the problem. You think it's okay for an officer to tell you do anything and you should do it. In this, he should be able to require you to sing a song of his choosing, or he'll shoot you. Perhaps similar to the officer that was recently jailed for putting pressure on women to have sex with him...or else.

You miss totally what most of us are asking for -- a totally professional police force that operates ONLY based on established legal procedures.

Oh please, stop with the hyperbole. I've said it twice now. If you are carrying a firearm legally the first words out of your mouth are to notify the officer of that. Each officer will handle things differently. Some don't care, some will ask you to step out of the vehicle and some will ask to unholster the firearm (I would have to counter on that one , not comfortable with that). It is something you sign up for (at least here in MI) when you get a CPL. It is what it is. One of the many compromises that the pro 2A people have made for the anti's.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM

20,496 posts, read 12,426,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I didn't mention Baton Rouge, because the case has nothing to do with a legal permit to carry. Sterling had an illegal gun and clearly would not have told those officers he was carrying. So that situation is not applicable to law-abiding people of color legally carrying, nor my question at hand.
There is no question about Castile being a legal gun owner. That is well established. Thank you for pointing that out here.

I am not sure that really is the issue here. I am not a CCL carrier so I don't know what is taught. more specifically what is taught in MN as to how to both inform the officer, and then to comply with the officers direction.

for the sake of this discussion, I sure would like to hear from some (I think we even have some instructors on the board) as to what is taught in CCL classes....

Please note, I am not making any inference as to Mr. Castile's actions.

I do believe that even if Mr. Castile reached for something and the police responded appropriately based on his training, that a different outcome could have been arrived at, where both the police officer and Mr. Castile went home safely had the training included de-escalation practices..

Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,374,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And you know that Castile didn't actually pull his gun out how .... ?

Also, I didn't realize the actual shooting was caught on video.
You are correct there is no visual proof of the actual shooting just the fiancé's comments but it does appear that he was shot in the lower left chest, I don't see how that could happen without having the gun pointed inside the car. Why would Castile pull a gun since he had a concealed carry permit and he hadn't done anything wrong, it just doesn't make sense. His fiancé sounds very credible in her assessment.

I would like to hear the cops statement, did they take on right after the shooting. He sounded panicked, I don't think he intended to do this but it was a very bad mistake.

Just keep in mind that these threads are the court of public opinion, the court of law will come later.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,783,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OK - you proved that he had a permit to conceal - but have you even bothered reading anymore about the incident since it happened?

The driver resembled a robbery suspect ( there is evidence mounting that he and darling girlfriend indeed may very well have robbed an establishment ). The car was stopped because he resembled that suspect the police were looking for. The officer asked for his license and registration - normal - but then the suspect announced he had a permit to carry and was carrying a gun - hence why he was told to keep his hands visible which he didn't and instead continued reaching for his wallet.

And something that really bugs me - the officer was of Mexican decent - he was not white - but the libs want you to think differently. People are whatever race they want them to be to fit their agenda that it was a white cop killing a black man.
I read a little since the incident happened.

Castile had been stopped by the police 52 times since 2002. That's right: 52 times.

All these stops yielded was one infraction: Castile failed to carry proof of insurance once.

What a criminal

Old 07-13-2016, 01:14 PM

29,699 posts, read 14,791,616 times
Quote:
So when a police officer gives you 2 conflicting orders, and you make the mistake of following the wrong order, you should be shot to death?
Quote:
This! A thousand times.

Well guy's, I guess my suggestion to you two is to never carry a firearm. If you don't have enough sense to respect the officer and the apprehension that he might have with you being armed then you don't deserve to carry a firearm.

I've been pulled over twice since I've had my CPL. Once while armed and once while not. I notified him both times. I then complied with his directions. I'm still alive. Got a ticket the one stop and scolded for not having my firearm the second. I had no problems. Sounds to me like you have a problem with the police.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travelers-tale/

Old 07-13-2016, 01:14 PM

1,323 posts, read 590,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I'm not certain if you are being sarcastic or not, but I agree with you, if you are not.
I'm not being sarcastic at all. I commented this to my husband not too long ago as we were driving. I noticed a cop behind us and I immediately told my husband to slow down, although he wasn't speeding. And I was taken aback by my emotion - I was scared. And then I thought - how crazy is this? I see a cop and my instinct is to get away from them as quickly as possible. I've mixed person of many colors, so that adds to my anxiety.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM

29,622 posts, read 16,627,570 times
Quote:
Several sources are now reporting that Castile indeed did have a permit to carry. The original confusion was due to his permit being registered in a different county from his current residency.
NO, NO, I saw the tweet from the Sheriff's department when they said they didnt have a permit on file from him. The second a conservative blogger claimed he didnt have one at all, They posted a clarification directly to that writer on Twitter, all that happened within about 1 hour. The next day there were still 40 articles claiming he had no permit at all spread over at least 20 different conservative sites.

Most of the articles were copy and paste jobs, but some were original. They chose to perpetuate a falsehood in some of those cases and that is sad.

Meanwhile the Star Tribune had already found exactly where he was registered at and said so in their articles on the issue.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:16 PM

17,657 posts, read 14,791,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's a horrible picture but it is obviously taken from behind Castile. His girlfriend was sitting next to him, not behind him.

Text says that is his right arm.

Attachment 172322
That is obviously taken from her video.

WATCH: Falcon Heights, Minnesota Police Shooting Facebook Live Video | Heavy.com

It's at :50 in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.