Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 01:52 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Feel free to call me out on this. This is just a theory of mine.

I am going to preface this by mentioning this. I have seen things on social media, from not only Blacks, but Whites, Hispanics, and other groups condemning the killing of civilians by certain police officers. There are people calling for a better way.

That noted, there is a theory I want to present. It only applies to those who have the thinking I'm speaking of. There are those who even after seeing that he had a permit, even after seeing the carnage, will try to justify what happened to this man. My theory is this. I don't think it is a message of being "pro-police". You can be pro-police and still speak out against police brutality. I think it is a message of:

"We're afraid of Blacks. We don't feel safe with them here. They only bring problems. We feel safer if the police go harder than normal on them". There are those who think with the mentality of "Yes, the way I think is wrong, and it isn't fair. I'd rather be wrong for being a bigot than risk being a victim". And in addition "Well, if you aren't the criminal type, well, rotten apple spoils the bunch". In short, an attitude of "better them than us". Lack of empathy.

My theory is only meant to apply to those who think in that manner.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
This is a game that the loud mouths play. "Oh, it was not a white policeman, it was an Asian or Hispanic cop." Just a bunch of nonsense because it makes no difference. In the whole scheme of things, people fear the police, period. One of the surgeons who treated the injured police in Dallas clearly pointed out on TV (a town hall & a hospital news conference), that he is afraid of the cops but have no problem treating them.

Loud mouth huh - it's called the liberal media misleading the public so that they can continue to receive the revenue they want - There wouldn't be as much of a hoopla if the story lead was Mexican cop kills Black motorist - but Second black man killed by cop in 2 Days does. It does make a difference to some people as I hate misrepresentation and hypocrits

Old 07-13-2016, 02:09 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Feel free to call me out on this. This is just a theory of mine.

I am going to preface this by mentioning this. I have seen things on social media, from not only Blacks, but Whites, Hispanics, and other groups condemning the killing of civilians by certain police officers. There are people calling for a better way.

That noted, there is a theory I want to present. It only applies to those who have the thinking I'm speaking of. There are those who even after seeing that he had a permit, even after seeing the carnage, will try to justify what happened to this man. My theory is this. I don't think it is a message of being "pro-police". You can be pro-police and still speak out against police brutality. I think it is a message of:

"We're afraid of Blacks. We don't feel safe with them here. They only bring problems. We feel safer if the police go harder than normal on them". There are those who think with the mentality of "Yes, the way I think is wrong, and it isn't fair. I'd rather be wrong for being a bigot than risk being a victim". And in addition "Well, if you aren't the criminal type, well, rotten apple spoils the bunch". In short, an attitude of "better them than us". Lack of empathy.

My theory is only meant to apply to those who think in that manner.
GM, I probably share too much about me... but... here goes.

im a pretty devout Christian which means going to church isn't a sunday affair and it means that im extremely intentional about who I go to church with.... both in who they are and what is being taught doctrinally.

Its been said that Sunday in the most segregated day of the week... because we mostly go to church with people that look like us.

I don't. the church I take my children to is majority minority and I am white. its a pretty interesting mix of Asian, Black, Hispanic, White) we are a group with nearly a dozen nationalities. our leadership is reflective of our congregation.

so I sure don't fit your theory... maybe I also don't fit the "its justified" either.... I do fit the "I don't know yet because there isn't enough information" group.

some of the shootings that have generated outrage, I dong agree with the outrage, others I certainly do.

I also recognize the level of angst doesn't match the actual statistical reality. so clearly we would not be on the same page....

BUT I also recognize that there is something that can be done to correct some of this. As Ive stated, since the Dallas shooting, ive read more about this from a different perspective. I am reading about what Dallas PD has done to train de-escalation and ive read what those results have been.

and I also fully recognize that every one of these dead people are tragedies... even when I see the shooting as legally justifiable.

There is a middle ground here. We can find some solutions that will make everyone safer. That can be done

Old 07-13-2016, 02:16 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
GM, I probably share too much about me... but... here goes.

im a pretty devout Christian which means going to church isn't a sunday affair and it means that im extremely intentional about who I go to church with.... both in who they are and what is being taught doctrinally.

Its been said that Sunday in the most segregated day of the week... because we mostly go to church with people that look like us.

I don't. the church I take my children to is majority minority and I am white. its a pretty interesting mix of Asian, Black, Hispanic, White) we are a group with nearly a dozen nationalities. our leadership is reflective of our congregation.

so I sure don't fit your theory... maybe I also don't fit the "its justified" either.... I do fit the "I don't know yet because there isn't enough information" group.

some of the shootings that have generated outrage, I dong agree with the outrage, others I certainly do.

I also recognize the level of angst doesn't match the actual statistical reality. so clearly we would not be on the same page....

BUT I also recognize that there is something that can be done to correct some of this. As Ive stated, since the Dallas shooting, ive read more about this from a different perspective. I am reading about what Dallas PD has done to train de-escalation and ive read what those results have been.

and I also fully recognize that every one of these dead people are tragedies... even when I see the shooting as legally justifiable.

There is a middle ground here. We can find some solutions that will make everyone safer. That can be done
Ferd, you are not the persons I'm speaking of. I'm merely speaking of the people who automatically side with the police, who take a hardline stance, some persons who have the "I don't care" mentality. I wasn't even talking about you in particular. I was particularly speaking about the Falcon Heights shooting.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Ferd, you are not the persons I'm speaking of. I'm merely speaking of the people who automatically side with the police, who take a hardline stance, some persons who have the "I don't care" mentality. I wasn't even talking about you in particular. I was particularly speaking about the Falcon Heights shooting.
I get it. I didn't take it that way.... and I agree there are those that are as you articulated...

I just want to find some way thru this fog. there is a lot of fog...

Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
Can anyone explain to me what evidence they have that this cop did something wrong? His partner will back up what the cop says and this case goes bye bye! BLM will have egg on their face again. BLM has zero credibility!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:35 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That is obviously taken from her video.

WATCH: Falcon Heights, Minnesota Police Shooting Facebook Live Video | Heavy.com

It's at :50 in.
I just don't see it. Because the video is a mirror image it's difficult to know where everything really is. In the video at 50 seconds in, his right arm is on his lap and his left is on top of his right hand.

I never saw anything that looked like a gun.

We are not getting any information at all about this. That's worrisome.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 PM

17,357 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I just don't see it. Because the video is a mirror image it's difficult to know where everything really is. In the video at 50 seconds in, his right arm is on his lap and his left is on top of his right hand.

I never saw anything that looked like a gun.

We are not getting any information at all about this. That's worrisome.
It's literally the exact same picture.

Yours is the first one.

The one I pulled from the video at the :50 mark is second.

The only difference is yours is zoomed in.

I'm shocked that you can't see that.
Attached Thumbnails
Falcon Heights, Minnesota Police Shoot and Kill another black man today. Facebook Live Video [WARNING: GRAPHIC]-philando-castile-gun.jpg   Falcon Heights, Minnesota Police Shoot and Kill another black man today. Facebook Live Video [WARNING: GRAPHIC]-capture.jpg  

Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
There will be no charges. No one will be able to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt. It will never get past a grand jury. DOJ will take two years and then say the department is racist but no charges lol.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not sure what "busset" is either, I was quoting the stoner chick.
She said 'busted'...clearly.

'stoner chick' hahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies