Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are all Cultures Equal?
Yes, things like slavery and unalienable rights are merely subjective and amoral, not inherently right or wrong 5 8.62%
No, cultures that propagate the violation of unalienable rights are inferior to those that don't. 53 91.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 AM

26,510 posts, read 15,088,692 times

Advertisements

Culture is defined as:

Quote:
: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time
: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.
: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)
I tried this once before and want to see if opinions have changed with more and more elements of radical cultures permeating into Europe.

Are all cultures equal?

Slavery
-> If you admit that slavery is evil, as it goes against our unalienable rights.
-> A culture that propagates slavery in its beliefs and customs is propagating evil.
-> A culture that abolishes slavery is improving itself.
-> American Culture improved once the 13th Amendment was ratified than the day before with slavery legal.
-> A culture that propagates slavery is inferior to a slavery that outlaws slavery in that regard.

If you argue against the above logic, are you not admitting that slavery is amoral, neither right nor wrong, but all relative?

Shouldn't we stand up for unalienable rights as being a foundation of morality.

Did not America improve its culture when it ratified the 19th Amendment or is women's right to vote subjective and denying women the right to vote amoral - neither right or wrong?

How are all cultures equal, if some cultures have beliefs, customs, laws, that propagate evil actions against unalienable rights?

If cultures are all equal, then what is the point of America's long history of reformations, progressive change, growth of liberal rights, etc... There would be no harm in going back to the 1820s culture correct?

A civilized society must strive towards protecting unalienable rights.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 07-26-2016 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
LOL all the people voted no.

What are the unalienable rights? Could anybody provide me a list? If a right can be taken away, it's not unalienable - they aren't rights, they are privileges.

Why different cultures have different sets of rights? Which culture should be best? For example, in the American culture, "keep and bear arm" is a "right" but almost none of other cultures has this "right". Do you know many cultures have no such thing as due process?

Does this mean the American culture with a few alienable privileges is the best?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL all the people voted no.

What are the unalienable rights? Could anybody provide me a list? If a right can be taken away, it's not unalienable - they aren't rights, they are privileges.

Why different cultures have different sets of rights? Which culture should be best? For example, in the American culture, "keep and bear arm" is a "right" but almost none of other cultures has this "right". Do you know many cultures have no such thing as due process?

Does this mean the American culture with a few alienable privileges is the best?
Has America improved its culture the past 200 years? Would there be no harm in going back to the beliefs and customs and therefore laws of 1816?

If all culture is equal, why do liberals proudly boast cultural achievements and find other ways to improve our culture?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Its stupid to believe all cultures are the same. World is not progressing at the same rate as the western civilization. Infact, a lot of cultures are going backwards. Example, Pakistan used to be liberal & progressive like India until the extremists took over in the 80s. They have declined drastically since then. The liberal hippies are unaware of world events & are dumb enough to think 'good behavior' is the answer to fixing complex issues. Dont rely only on western media for a peak into the world. Read the local news of troubled countries & you will realize how screwed up rest of the world is outside the first world nations.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Weird poll with the qualifiers IMO. Why couldn't you just have a "yes" or "no" option...?

In regards to the question itself, no I don't think all cultures are "equal." However, I also do not believe any culture is superior to another. The judging of a particular culture is based on one's own culture so as an American, reared in American culture, I cannot possibly determine of say...Japanese culture is worse or better than my own as I have no intimate knowledge of Japanese culture to compare to my own and nothing to define what is "better" or "worse" from a cultural perspective.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:54 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
All western cultures are superior to Islam and African cultures. Other cultures are debatable.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
As often happens on this forum, there is bias in the way the options are phrased. Why not, "Yes because every culture at some time in history has been violent and oppressive."

Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
I voted yes, at least in absolute terms.

There are things done here in the US that seem barbaric to other cultures.

And that aside, who decides what is moral? Who knows, maybe we are ruled by a deity that intends for humans to do things that might violate the golden rule.

However, what's really relevant in the real world is how compatible cultures are. There are many cultures that if strictly followed, are simply incompatible with the US, for instance. Which ties to my first point, as the same could be said of US culture being incompatible in some other places.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to the question itself, no I don't think all cultures are "equal." However, I also do not believe any culture is superior to another.
If they are not morally equal in a certain aspect, then one is inferior in that aspect.

You would literally argue that the US Culture has not improved since 1816 in most aspects and therefore 1816 US culture is not inferior to 2016 US culture in certain regards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The judging of a particular culture is based on one's own culture so as an American, reared in American culture, I cannot possibly determine of say...Japanese culture is worse or better than my own as I have no intimate knowledge of Japanese culture to compare to my own and nothing to define what is "better" or "worse" from a cultural perspective.
People who have lived in North Korea and were able to escape (defect) talk about how much better Western culture is due to freedoms to protect unalienable rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I voted yes, at least in absolute terms.

There are things done here in the US that seem barbaric to other cultures.

And that aside, who decides what is moral? Who knows, maybe we are ruled by a deity that intends for humans to do things that might violate the golden rule.

However, what's really relevant in the real world is how compatible cultures are. There are many cultures that if strictly followed, are simply incompatible with the US, for instance. Which ties to my first point, as the same could be said of US culture being incompatible in some other places.
So when someone says "we need to change the rape culture on college campuses," you respond that actions such as rape and excusing rape is amoral and therefore rape culture isn't any different morally than a non-rape culture.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
America is the most ethnocentric country in the world. We tend to think the way we do things is best, and everyone should do and believe things the way we do because our deeds and beliefs are the only "right" way to think and behave. Nonsense. Other cultures do things differently, and maybe even better. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies