Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 10:30 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
This is not going to pass when introduced on the floor. I don't believe that this issue is something that most members of the GOP would want as part of an official platform. If I and any of my friends that are active in the GOP were delegates, this would never get voted onto the platform.

Not gonna happen.
Agreed. Though if it did happen, it'd be highly entertaining to watch Trump articulate & defend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:32 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
And how much support did the Log Cabin Republicans get from the mainstream GOP? Oh yeah, they were a tiny minority ignored and treated like lepers by their own party. So stop lying by omission and trying to use the Log Cabin Republicans to insinuate that the Republicans as a whole have been champions of gay rights. They never have been and they still are not.
That is an absolute LIE! You may be thinking about GoProud, another gay rights group that was disinvited to the CPAC Conference after refusing to push the SSM agenda at the Conference.

GoProud was an activist group that collapsed after being disinvited to CPAC. The Log Cabin Republicans are still very active in the party.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
For the record, I consider this a seriously stupid move on Republicans part in a year of stupid moves that never seem to end. Young Republicans like myself don't see this as an issue worth fighting for and many of us even support gay marriage.... But on a few of your points specifically....

Why can't we live in a world where gay people can get married AND religious people can decline to bake them a cake for that wedding? Why does it have to be either / or? Both can be accommodated. Why does each side have to be "the only one left standing"...? Why does it only qualify as a victory if one side has vanquished anyone who disagrees with them?

It doesn't contradict politicians who've said states should decide, because that's no longer an option now. The only way to remedy that at this point is to pass a Constitutional amendment. Again, I say this as a Republican who supports gay marriage, and as someone who would oppose this amendment, as it would be the first Constitutional amendment that actually would take rights away, rather than expand them.
Because activist for the GLBT agenda (yeah, I said it AGENDA) do not want accommodation, they require that society embrace and normalize SSM and that can only be accomplished by removing religious freedom as a Constitutional right.

Sorry, but that is the truth. We all know it.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Because activist for the GLBT agenda (yeah, I said it AGENDA) do not want accommodation, they require that society embrace and normalize SSM and that can only be accomplished by removing religious freedom as a Constitutional right.
Including those Log Cabin Republicans, eh?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Agreed. Though if it did happen, it'd be highly entertaining to watch Trump articulate & defend it.
Two words that should never exist in the same sentence unless used as an example of an oxymoron. The use of Donald alone can also be used as an example of a moron.

It feels great not having to defend either candidate in this sh!tshow of an election!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Including those Log Cabin Republicans, eh?
Log Cabin Republicans have never forced SSM marriage as an agenda issue. They are active because they want a say in a party where they agree with the platform.

You may not know this, but there are actual gay people who care about more in this world than SSM. They focus on economic and security issues and the LCR's want their voices heard with regard to issues that affect EVERYONE and not a tiny minority of people fixated on who they bump uglies with.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:

Sorry, but that is the truth. We all know it.
I deleted my last post because I see we are on different sides of this. One can believe whatever they like, but they can't treat people differently based on their beliefs. If a man and a woman can have a legal contract, then prohibiting a woman from having the same contract with another woman is sex discrimination. Besides, and this is what it really comes down to is, if two people love each other, are happy together, and want to get married, how does it affect you? One of the great things about America is that it is the first country predicated on the belief in the pursuit of happiness. Who are you to tell people how to be happy?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Can the Rs seriously believe that they could really get this constitutional amendment????????
The time for it was in 2004 when Bush tried it and failed. Most people still opposed same-sex marriage at that point.

Today, that ship has sailed and the vast majority of Americans either support same-sex marriage or are indifferent towards it. The vocal fundamentalist Baptist base are the ones who won't let it go, but they don't have the numbers to dictate the policy for the entire country.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Since it is highly unlikely to pass, I am questioning why it would be included in the R platform. But maybe the OP jumped the gun a little, there seems to be a question as to whether this plank is actually being proposed for the platform.
So that people like this will vote for Trump. This video sums up how religious conservatives really feel about the LGBT community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-09vFpV1A

Old 07-12-2016, 11:09 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Is this solely about Gay Marriage? I don't get that. It seems to me that this Platform wants to give Religious Businesses the right to discriminate and deny services to Gay Couples based on their lifestyles. Just Wedding services? It's very broad. Can a "Christian" Pizza Parlor refuse to serve a Gay Couple? Transgender person? Does a Hobby Lobby have the right to refuse to sell TWO Bride or Groom Wedding Ornaments? Oh, no, how can there be two Brides or Grooms??????

"My Party has been hijacked by the Religious Right". My Republican husband said that over 20 years ago. He is an old man now. Imagine what the Young, Non-Religious Republicans think of this Anti-Gay Platform? Having met Donald Trump in NYC decades ago, I highly doubt even he cares much about religious views towards Gays. He does have his prejudices, but this isn't one of them.

Ever hear of Dick Cheney? Ever wonder how many Republican Politicians have Gay Children, Siblings, etc.? Have they disowned them? Do they want their own Flesh and Blood being discriminated against?

My lifelong Republican danced with our daughter in her Tux at her marriage to her Wife last week. Yes, he was uncomfortable doing so, but he did it because he loves his CHILD. In the middle of the Father/Daughter dance his new DIL got up and the 3 of them all danced together. Applause all around the dance floor. The Guests were crying, and Mom also. Proud of my Daughter. Proud of my HUSBAND.

Let LOVE Rule. It is much better than Hate.

BTW, At the Country Club last week there were 3 Weddings going on at the same time: Gay Wedding (Daughter's), Jewish Wedding, and an African American Wedding. Want Diversity? As it should be. Sorry, to get OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies