Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm not a gun owner, but I read on another topic that some states have a law that says you have a duty to inform the cop you are carrying, while others do not. Check your state laws. I think the NRA keeps a list of laws for every state that every gun owner should know
No duty to inform in TX. They'll find out when they run your plate though. Might be better to give the officer the carry license from the outset.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
What you DON'T do, black or white, is start off saying "I have a gun" when an officer approaches your vehicle. Bad things happen. Even if you say "I have a gun and have a carry permit", he only hears the first part. Bad things happen.

In some states by law you do not need to inform a police officer that you are CCW and armed. You have a legal right, it's simply none of there business. Your weapon is concealed and it simply is not a factor in a regular traffic stop. In some states they may already know, via records that come up on their computer, that you have a permit.

Traditionally this is what you should do, it's very simple and painless - he asks for your drivers license, give him your license and at the same time give him your CCW permit. He knows what that means and will instruct you what to do next. Don't show him your weapon or volunteer where it is unless he asks, obviously don't reach for it. 9 times out of 10 he will give your permit back to you and won't care about your weapon at all, many times they are relieved to find out you are a CCW holder. The tenth time you might get a jerk cop that think his badge means "only I should carry a gun" and will give you a hard time. Maybe change that ratio if you are guilty of "driving while black"...but again just follow officers instructions.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:09 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Hands on steering wheel. "Hello officer I just want to let you know that I have a ccw permit and I have a gun on me"
No do not do that...he will only hear the second part. Stop with "I have a ccw permit".

Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yeah, do like any other sane person.........do what the Cop tells you to do.

If you got a gripe with the Cop, take it up later with a complaint and/or legal-action.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:22 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
More than white men, that's for sure. Stay alive, people!
same as white men, that's for sure:

Do I need to have my permit with me when carrying my pistol?

Yes, the permit holder must have the permit card and a valid driver’s license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document when requested by a peace officer.

Do I have to disclose to a peace officer that I am a permit holder and carrying a firearm?

Yes, upon request of a peace officer, a permit holder must disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm.

Were those rules followed in the most recent situation? Who knows with our lame mainstream media, always looking to get ratings.

If the OP is talking about Castile, he may not even had a concealed carry gun permit (he did not have a permit for the county that he lived in ) but you can't get the list because it isn't available to the public.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:26 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Cooperate fully, no sudden moves, hands in plain sight.
If you feel so targeted, make sure you keep your license and registration and insurance card in a place other than your back pocket or glove box.

Top pocket or other place you can get to it in a second.

when the lights go on get your id out before you stop.

Mine is apart from my wallet and is pulled out long before the cop gets to me.

I'd let the cop say his speil first, 'license registraion and insurance card', then mention you have a CCpermit if your state requires you to volunteer that info.

He might be pulling you over to give you a gift certificate for conformance to some traffic rule.

Being super polite goes a long way to beating a ticket, not always, but worth a 'shot'.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:33 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Duty to inform.
Attached Thumbnails
What should minority legal gun owners do when pulled over by police?-duty-inform-50-states-1024x665.png  

Old 07-13-2016, 03:33 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No do not do that...he will only hear the second part. Stop with "I have a ccw permit".
We have constitutional carry now, so saying you have a permit would be incorrect. It has always been, "inform if asked" here, as far as I knew.

When I lived in Texas, it was taught that you must inform immediately.

Edit:

Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm just curious as if this is your opinion or if some study has been done?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
No duty to inform in TX. They'll find out when they run your plate though. Might be better to give the officer the carry license from the outset.
I was told there was a duty to inform when I lived in Texas.

Edit:
Ah, if you are carrying in car without a ccw, then legally you do not have to show what you do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies