Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

I have a parable that metaphorically represents the dialog between blacks and whites in this nation concerning race. I call it the "me too" or "us too" parable.

Two people are walking down the streets and shots ring out. One person falls to the ground in agony with an obvious wound to the stomach and blood on their clothing. The person, moaning in pain says; "I am shot". The other person, standing tall and erect, not in any visible pain, kind of looking in disgust and disrespect of the other persons condition then says; "me too". Whats wrong with that picture? Why does not the same cause, the bullet, produce the same effect in the two?

Essentially, there is no respect for the black condition in America. America cannot move forward on the issue of race if people look at the pains and struggle of black people and respond with "me too" or "us too" (meaning our experiences have been no different in degree or kind), instead of seeking to assist and help repair. If you have been shot, why would you not bleed like me when I am shot. If you were shot, why would you not be on the ground like me? If you were shot, why would you not be in pain like me?

This is what the "me too" response is:

It is either a claim of either black weakness and or white strength.

It is a claim made out of the ignorance of not being able to see our wounds.

It is a claim made because they refuse to see our wounds.

It is a claim made too avoid the moral dilemma of not helping.

It is a claim made because you just do not care.

It is a claim made for all of the above reasons.

Examples of the "me too" parable.

Blacks talk about the impact of slavery and oppression, then whites bring up the Irish and Jews... "us too".

Blacks talk about being stopped, harassed and victimized by the police, then whites say that it happens to "us too".

Blacks talk about white racism, whites then say they are the victims of black racism....hence..."us too".

Blacks say they are discriminated against, whites say "us too".

The only time when you do not hear "us too" is when the conversation is about crime, irresponsibility, children born out of wedlock, etc. Those things do not happen in their communities.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-15-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Oh brother. I think some south side Chicago community is hiring for an agitator. I'm sure you could get an application on your phone.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 AM

21,147 posts, read 19,729,843 times
So white people are immune to being shot?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So white people are immune to being shot?
No...they are like superman. They can be shot, just like us, but manage not to bleed or be collapsed by the wound, metaphorically, unlike black folks. See the Irish and the Jews.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:17 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times
I would suggest you should have been more careful when handling your firearm.

Remember the gun is ALWAYS loaded, and NEVER point the gun at anything you aren't ready to actually shoot.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:20 AM

21,147 posts, read 19,729,843 times
What about the blacks who say "me too"?

"White people go to college, I want to go to college"

"White people have good-paying jobs, I want a good paying job"

"White people live in nice neighborhoods, I want to live in a nice neighborhood"

If it is wrong for whites to say "me too", why is it not wrong for blacks to say "me too"? Why are black people allowed to the privileges of white America?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No...they are like superman. They can be shot, just like us, but manage not to bleed or be collapsed by the wound, metaphorically, unlike black folks. See the Irish and the Jews.
That's because white people choose not to be children that expect to be nannied.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's because white people choose not to be children that expect to be nannied.
Right....that is what I said. Whites being stronger mentally leads to stronger choices. Choices represent mental strength. Thus, to say whites make stronger choices is to say whites are mentally stronger. See all your threads about black IQ.

Quote:
It is either a claim of either black weakness and or white strength.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Right....that is what I said. Whites being stronger mentally leads to stronger choices. Choices represent mental strength. Thus, to say whites make stronger choices is to say whites are mentally stronger. See all your threads about black IQ.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with Mother Nature. In the mean time recognize the fact that you are extraordinarily lucky to be living in a wealthy 21st century society with full rights and opportunities, and not in the land of your ancestors.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
OP your "parable" is crap as it assumes far too much. and any assumptions you make from that "parable" are equally crap. although it does point out the attitudes of the two people involved, so perhaps it isnt such a bad "parable" after all. apparently both people have similar wounds, and yet one moves forward from that wounding, but the other falls to the ground and demands that they be given special treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies