U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:08 AM
 
4,023 posts, read 1,166,583 times
Reputation: 3891

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yep....and as a black person who has "made it" and in a nation with a black president, it would logically follow that such would be my position.

When you cannot offer a truth based rebu'ttal that is tenable.....use hyperbole.....you always say...huh?

30 + pages of honest discourse and truth based rebuttals resulted in nothing but a new thread from you today intending to show us how your pain is much greater than our pain, and we cannot really know your pain, so don't bother saying anything other than "yes you are right. You have been much more grievously injured and I know nothing of YOUR suffering."

"$$How much do you need to help get through this tragic event.$$"

I thought maybe I should try a different tactic today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Here.
10,638 posts, read 9,445,866 times
Reputation: 12765
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Whites or Blacks can achieve those things, as long as they WORK to EARN it. And quite a few Blacks have, so where's the problem?

That sure sounds like "me too" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
3,433 posts, read 1,239,956 times
Reputation: 1828
Wounds only heal if you let them.

If you keep laying in bed, with a government IV in your vein, and keep picking at the would and refusing to get up out of bed and go to physical therapy, you will never get better.

The wound will only fester and cause continued issues with mobility and independence from the IV .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Idaho
1,731 posts, read 1,231,149 times
Reputation: 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No...they are like superman. They can be shot, just like us, but manage not to bleed or be collapsed by the wound, metaphorically, unlike black folks. See the Irish and the Jews.
Really?????

I'm white, I've been shot twice, and got news for you, buddy, I bled, one cause me to fall pretty quickly (didn't knock me off my fee), and I"m also Irish.

So go back to your dreams.

As for blacks, the blacks I have worked with and have as friends never pulled out the "poor me I'm black," BS. They became productive members of the USA, and never whined like little babies.
From my long years, those that whine like little babies (white, black, brown, red, etc.) never became productive citizens, they just lived off the governments handouts either via welfare or jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:27 AM
 
7,049 posts, read 5,060,247 times
Reputation: 2905
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
30 + pages of honest discourse and truth based rebuttals resulted in nothing but a new thread from you today intending to show us how your pain is much greater than our pain, and we cannot really know your pain, so don't bother saying anything other than "yes you are right. You have been much more grievously injured and I know nothing of YOUR suffering."

"$$How much do you need to help get through this tragic event.$$"

I thought maybe I should try a different tactic today.
30 plus pages of people like you avoiding a binary truth. Either our inequality resulted from things happening to us that did not happen to you or the same things happen to you but given that you are stronger it did not have the same impact on you.

Like I said before. This is mathematical. You cannot produce an inequality from an equality, unless each side is treated differently.

Take two sides mathematically.

5 one one side 5 on the other side. That is an equality of sides ie.....5 = 5. Both sides of the equal sign will ALWAYS be equal as long as whatever you do to one side you do the exact same thing to the other.

Thus:

Multiplying both sides by 5 results in.

5 x 5 = 5 x 5

25 = 25

Now I will add 3 to each side:

25 + 3 = 25 + 3

28 = 28

Amazingly.....both sides are still equal.

Now....I will subtract 8 from the left side and only subtract 4 from the right side.

28 - 8 = 28 - 4

20 = 24 ? The sides are not equal? Why?

If blacks and whites are not equal, today, and you argue that each side has been treated the same, then the inequality of the erroneous assumption that blacks and whites were equal in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:34 AM
 
4,023 posts, read 1,166,583 times
Reputation: 3891
How can you interpret what I said to mean that I was arguing each side has been treated the same?

No one has ever made that claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 AM
 
25,981 posts, read 10,649,902 times
Reputation: 5924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I have a parable that metaphorically represents the dialog between blacks and whites in this nation concerning race. I call it the "me too" or "us too" parable.

Two people are walking down the streets and shots ring out. One person falls to the ground in agony with an obvious wound to the stomach and blood on their clothing. The person, moaning in pain says; "I am shot". The other person, standing tall and erect, not in any visible pain, kind of looking in disgust and disrespect of the other persons condition then says; "me too". Whats wrong with that picture? Why does not the same cause, the bullet, produce the same effect in the two?

Essentially, there is no respect for the black condition in America. America cannot move forward on the issue of race if people look at the pains and struggle of black people and respond with "me too" or "us too" (meaning our experiences have been no different in degree or kind), instead of seeking to assist and help repair. If you have been shot, why would you not bleed like me when I am shot. If you were shot, why would you not be on the ground like me? If you were shot, why would you not be in pain like me?


This is what the "me too" response is:

It is either a claim of either black weakness and or white strength.

It is a claim made out of the ignorance of not being able to see our wounds.

It is a claim made because they refuse to see our wounds.

It is a claim made too avoid the moral dilemma of not helping.

It is a claim made because you just do not care.

It is a claim made for all of the above reasons.

Examples of the "me too" parable.

Blacks talk about the impact of slavery and oppression, then whites bring up the Irish and Jews... "us too".

Blacks talk about being stopped, harassed and victimized by the police, then whites say that it happens to "us too".

Blacks talk about white racism, whites then say they are the victims of black racism....hence..."us too".

Blacks say they are discriminated against, whites say "us too".

The only time when you do not hear "us too" is when the conversation is about crime, irresponsibility, children born out of wedlock, etc. Those things do not happen in their communities.
"Essentially, there is no respect for the black condition in America."

That chip on your shoulder gets bigger and BIGGER every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 AM
 
25,981 posts, read 10,649,902 times
Reputation: 5924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Your response is covered in my OP.

A partial list. read the entire article and see MORE:

If they CAN do it, why CAN'T more?

There is only two ways the parable logically concludes: One person is SUPERIOR to the other OR the the two people did not face the same wounding in degree or kind which allowed one to be felled while the other still stands. Not surprising....most respondents thus far have assumed the former.
"n the words of Kane Kinnebrew III, Black History Month is often spent mainly focusing on historic achievements. But what about the accomplishments of today’s African Americans? Despite how the media often portrays the black community in a bubble—or from one extreme to another—it’s time that we recognize the progress we’ve made in recent years, not just in the past. This is the first of what I hope will be many Black History Month report cards.

Number of black millionaires
35,000

according to The Wealth Choice: Success Secrets of Black Millionaires
Oprah Winfrey is richest black female billionaire and is one of only six black billionaires in the world. All other five are outside of the U.S
.
How many black middle-class families?
30%

Ever since President Obama has taken office, there has been a lot of debate about what constitutes a middle-class family. I think it’s safe to say that if your household makes between $50,000 and $150,000, your family is considered middle-class nowadays. Since that is the case, 30% of black families fall in that category, according to the most recent census figures. Compare that with 43% of white families, 46% of Asian families and 33% of Latino families.


Number of black-owned business
1.9 million



A progress report for Black History Month 2013: How far we’ve come and how far we’re going | MARTIN RICARD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 AM
 
4,023 posts, read 1,166,583 times
Reputation: 3891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"n the words of Kane Kinnebrew III, Black History Month is often spent mainly focusing on historic achievements. But what about the accomplishments of today’s African Americans? Despite how the media often portrays the black community in a bubble—or from one extreme to another—it’s time that we recognize the progress we’ve made in recent years, not just in the past. This is the first of what I hope will be many Black History Month report cards.

Number of black millionaires
35,000

according to The Wealth Choice: Success Secrets of Black Millionaires
Oprah Winfrey is richest black female billionaire and is one of only six black billionaires in the world. All other five are outside of the U.S
.
How many black middle-class families?
30%

Ever since President Obama has taken office, there has been a lot of debate about what constitutes a middle-class family. I think it’s safe to say that if your household makes between $50,000 and $150,000, your family is considered middle-class nowadays. Since that is the case, 30% of black families fall in that category, according to the most recent census figures. Compare that with 43% of white families, 46% of Asian families and 33% of Latino families.


Number of black-owned business
1.9 million



A progress report for Black History Month 2013: How far we’ve come and how far we’re going | MARTIN RICARD

Yes, that is great and all but what about 150 years ago? THEY WERE SLAVES.

What about 50 years ago? THERE WERE JIM CROW LAWS.

THAT's what we should be focusing on.
NOT how bright their future could be, but rather HOW TRAGIC WAS THEIR PAST.

LET's stay focused here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM
 
7,049 posts, read 5,060,247 times
Reputation: 2905
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
How can you interpret what I said to mean that I was arguing each side has been treated the same?

No one has ever made that claim.
It's done all the time. That is the point of the parable. People say "us too" to caste aspersion and look down on us and say we are making excuses and have a victim mentality. No. Not a victims mentality....a victims reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top