Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:58 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Didn't you pretty much do this exact same thread just a few days ago?

African Americans are oppressed. Why is this so hard to understand by the right?

We get it. Slavery.

As to why racial issues seem to have gotten worse instead of better over the last 10-20 years the answer is simple. It's because people like you figured out that racial divisiveness gives you an advantage in elections. Divide and conquer, right?
Well said.

I'll bet he got all of this from attending a "white privilege" conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 06:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Not addressed to me however here goes.

How about beginning by recognizing the dignity of humanity is inherent in man as a living being.
Humanity has dignity? HA

Look at this election. Look at our current state of affairs. Look at Africa (some parts are pulling themselves up, but most...) Look at the Middle East... Look at Europe, Negative inflation in Japan....

and you honestly think Humanity has any dignity left?

Well, you are more idealistic than me. Kudos for having hope in a species that deserves little, at least in its current socio/political/economic form.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Humanity has dignity? HA

Look at this election. Look at our current state of affairs. Look at Africa (some parts are pulling themselves up, but most...) Look at the Middle East... Look at Europe, Negative inflation in Japan....

and you honestly think Humanity has any dignity left?

Well, you are more idealistic than me. Kudos for having hope in a species that deserves little, at least in its current socio/political/economic form.
Well said.

Humanity and dignity are about as incompatible as any two things can get.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
That's the truth, OP. The U.S. refused to do right for hundreds of years and the results can be seen all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
I think Blacks are very lucky to be living in the USA.

I look around, and I see Africa is one big hell hole.

Blacks were taken as slaves by Arabs, infact Muhammad himself was a slave owner, and Saudi Arabia was the last country to abolish slavery. Blacks are still living in the shadows since the days of the Zanj rebellion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanj_Rebellion

No where are Blacks better off than right here in USA.
So basically, you have a backward perception of the entire continent of Africa. Good job.

As for your last statement, it depends on where you place your emphasis.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That's the truth, OP. The U.S. refused to do right for hundreds of years and the results can be seen all over.

So basically, you have a backward perception of the entire continent of Africa. Good job.

If things are so great in the rest of the world, no one is stopping anyone from leaving.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Wait everyone, I got it. The DEFINITIVE ANSWER AS TO WHY THERE ARE RACE ISSUES IN THE US. Must see video about the KKK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWToJ0TRhxM

Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
The way I see it, those on the far left with a racist agenda seek to keep minorities oppressed to proliferate their power. The far left controls academia, the media, and inner cities. If you are in the hopelessness of in the inner cities with generations of unemployment (look at all those abandoned factories in inner cities which over regulation closed decades ago) and all you hear and see on your facebook newsfeed and on television and by the President of the USA is "hey white racist cops want to just kill you, white republicans hate you and want to keep you down and look at all the handouts the dems can give you" naturally you are going to side with the "party that cares" over and over again come election time and fail to see the bigger picture that those in power just want to use you to stay in power and really change nothing about the environment you are in.
Yes, the democrats share blame. But, that does not negate the damage of slavery and Jim Crow.

Quote:
With two terms of the first "black" President, what has he done for minorities? Really, is your life any better under Obama than when Bush was President? Will you notice any difference when Hillary or Trump is President. Probably not.
Race relations are worse under Obama because now blacks have nowhere to go. There are no more physical barriers to demolish. All bathrooms, schools, and water fountains are available so there is nothing tangible to remove. And blacks have become mayors, councilmen, congressmen, and Presidents of the USA and the situation remains the same. There is really nowhere else to go; there are no mountains to climb. We are left with a gargantuan psychological scar that is keeping some American blacks from succeeding.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post

So you're saying that because the U.S. made a grave error that no effort to make it right will ever be good enough? That's basically what you're saying. You're ignoring all the steps towards making the black community equal and focusing on what happened before our time. We can't change the past, but we can change the future. Right now every step forward that MLK and others made to try to bring our society together is being trampled on and undone. Yet somehow, it is still the white person's fault.

Here's an honest question that no one wants to answer (I assume it's because no one really wants to find an answer). What do you think it will take to fix the issue? What else can we do?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
I think black people are doing well. Slavery ended less than 200 years ago, and it became illegal to discriminate against black people like 50 years ago. Both of these are pretty much a drop in the bucket when it comes to history. I think the last actual slave died in the 1930s or 1940s. I think people are use to things moving so fast, that we kind of forget that none of this stuff was all that long ago. I mean how long did it take China to get their act together? 500-1000 years? Black people are doling exceptionally well, all things considered. And the whole "welfare" and "gangsta rap" stigma is becoming more of a media image than an actual reality these days. I know FEW black people who are gangsters and welfare queens.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are correct. Said another way....of nearly 4 centuries of blacks in these lands, over 90% of that time has been under legalized racial oppression.

Today....black people know that there is a lot of racism out there. Its not just in our minds. Do we always get it right 100% of the time......NO! Do the police always arrest the RIGHT people...NO! Its human to error and unfortunately its human to deceive and people are not always honest and will play the "race card" or the "criminal card" (to treat someone worse than need be....like killing them).

That having been said, there are no longer self expressed racist. It means nothing to hear people deny that they are racist....when even the Klan denies that they are these days. Racism, thus, only exists if it can be PROVEN and how do you prove what is in a persons mind....especially when they know to avoid certain words and phrases.

If you take away the racial epithets of the language in this country during the 60's.....you have the same arguments and reasoning as today. Hence, by today's standards, if you simply removed the racial epithets and explicit claims, there was no racism in 1960 and it could not be used as an excuse for the black conditions back then. Racism, to many, is only recognized by explicit words and phrases. Its an overt anti-black pronouncement made with hate. However, the racism is really in the REASONING. That is the FOUNDATION, not words and phrases...or even the emotion of hate. People today refuse to see their racism and don't really even operate from the official definition of racism....because they seek to avoid self incrimination which would come with that knowledge. A racist is correctly seen as a social deviant today....like a pedophile or something. Thus, the desire not to see themselves or have others see you as a social deviant compels people to redefine what racism, so that it does not match what they are.....OR.....argue that everyone is that way....including blacks, thus making it a NORM and not a social deviation that they suffer from.
Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies