Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Gee, so much for Berkeley's self proclaimed image of tolerance.

They actually believe that they and they alone should determine where the public will go based upon their values

Even their cops have no guts.

I did like the one guy who said "some of us have jobs, we have to go to work".

http://http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=18d_1202368242

Last edited by doc1; 02-19-2008 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
I live near Berkeley. I really want to hop on B.A.R.T, take my friend who is a football player, and just bust in there. If they try to arrest me I will give the officer a lesson on Newtons Third Law which states that you cannot touch without being touched.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
ALL extreme positions produce intolerant, exclusionary, and possibly even violent behavior. It's one of life's basic truths. Everyone "knows" how mean the extreme right is (racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc)....but the extreme LEFT is every bit as 'mean"--theyre just mean about different things...

It doesn't matter if you drive through rural Arkansas with your "Gay Pride" banner flying from your Japanese pickup, with your black Jewish buddy in the passenger seat.....OR if you park in Berkeley during hunting season with a deer tied across your hood, a "Support Our Troops" bumper sticker, and an American flag on your jacket....in EITHER case, you're going to get the attention of the "locals", and many of them will say "mean" things to you...and some of them may even DO mean things, as well...

Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,752 times
The reason this sort of thing occurs in Berkley is because they know the chance of running into someone who's perfectly willing to start kicking their ass is profoundly lower than if they were to try is somewhere "in the real world". It's simply nutcases insulated by more nutcases insulated by more nutcases, so they feel "safe" acting like morons.

Go ANY PLACE OTHER THAN BERKLEY, try this and see what happens.
Hell, they'd even get their asses kicked in NYC.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Quote:
The reason this sort of thing occurs in Berkley is because they know the chance of running into someone who's perfectly willing to start kicking their ass is profoundly lower than if they were to try is somewhere "in the real world". It's simply nutcases insulated by more nutcases insulated by more nutcases, so they feel "safe" acting like morons.

Go ANY PLACE OTHER THAN BERKLEY, try this and see what happens.
Hell, they'd even get their asses kicked in NYC.
Haha! So true. The continued defiance shown here is just costing them more money and whatever respect Berkley had before this incident.

Can't wait till these jerks see every last dime of public spending ripped away from their twisted little town..no sympathy for them.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
The people of Berkeley do what they do because that's how they feel, not because they can 'get away with it' as you imply. You seem to be saying they know they are wrong and they're just doing these things to be difficult.

Can you not imagine someone having the opposite view without turning them into nutcases, morons, and enemies? And is your "real world" so full of violence that the winner is the person who beats the other person up?

Instead of looking at what people do, consider what they INTEND. Their intention here was to send a message that no more men and women should be encouraged to fight a stupid war. If that was your intention (which is probably not the case), what would you do? Some people do 'stupid' things to make a point, like the guy who laid down on the railroad tracks to protest the movement of nuclear waste and got cut in half by the train (he lived, by the way). If you judge everyone by what they do and make no attempt to understand their motivation or their intention, then the real world you claim to live in is a cartoon.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The people of Berkeley do what they do because that's how they feel, not because they can 'get away with it' as you imply. You seem to be saying they know they are wrong and they're just doing these things to be difficult.

Can you not imagine someone having the opposite view without turning them into nutcases, morons, and enemies? And is your "real world" so full of violence that the winner is the person who beats the other person up?

Instead of looking at what people do, consider what they INTEND. Their intention here was to send a message that no more men and women should be encouraged to fight a stupid war. If that was your intention (which is probably not the case), what would you do? Some people do 'stupid' things to make a point, like the guy who laid down on the railroad tracks to protest the movement of nuclear waste and got cut in half by the train (he lived, by the way). If you judge everyone by what they do and make no attempt to understand their motivation or their intention, then the real world you claim to live in is a cartoon.
So you are in support of a group forcibly restricting the movement of a free public from going about their business because of their intents or beliefs?

Do you support those actions in all cases regardless of the issue?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Here is their so called "Support for the Troops" LiveLeak.com - Code Pink Calls US Troops Terrorists
Note that this was taped at the front gate of Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Site asks you if you are 18 and over. Disclaimer should be not to watch with a full stomach because it may cause you to vomit all over your screen.

It seems their "intentions" are pretty damn clear in the videos I have seen to date.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
So you are in support of a group forcibly restricting the movement of a free public from going about their business because of their intents or beliefs?

Do you support those actions in all cases regardless of the issue?
Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the group in question. I haven't read where this group or the citizens of Berkeley are forcibly doing anything to other people. They are stating their opinions but then so do anti-abortion groups on the sidewalks outside clinics. I would answer that I do not support force as I imagine it, but I'll also offer that "force" is something that is open to wide interpretation. Example: Someone doesn't want to be forced to breathe cigarette smoke vs. a smoker doesn't want to be forced to put out his/her cigarette. Either side may not see the other's situation as forced.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Here is their so called "Support for the Troops" LiveLeak.com - Code Pink Calls US Troops Terrorists
Note that this was taped at the front gate of Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Site asks you if you are 18 and over. Disclaimer should be not to watch with a full stomach because it may cause you to vomit all over your screen.

It seems their "intentions" are pretty damn clear in the videos I have seen to date.
They are against more killing, the other side supports more killing. Yes, that's pretty damn clear. They see that our actions amount to terrorism, the other side feels justified in doing whatever it feels is necessary, which includes terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies