Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:13 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I use a full automatic for squirrel hunting.
So what? They can be exceptionally viscious. Can't take any chances.
Hey if you had a few tens of thousands to burn on one go for it. I would be hogging from a helicopter with a full auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
there are 35,000 NYPD officers and only 65 fired their weapons in 2015, that's .000018%.
You've deflated that figure by a factor of 10,000. The actual percentage would be 0.18%.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
You've deflated that figure by a factor of 10,000. The actual percentage would be 0.18%.
For the record this is 6x the rate of total gun misuse per firearm (so one guy shoots 10 people it would be as if they used 10 guns to give the absolute maximum anti-gun numer).

Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
oh the children are crying again- they want to take their toys! but bigger and faster is NOT always better --
I would be perfectly happy if you don't have a gun. I don't think you have the mental capacity for one.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
A fire extinguisher doesn't kill...a gun does.
Guns don't kill anyone.

A gun.....a fire extinguisher..

They are both tools, nothing more.

A fire extinguisher is a tool to stop fire from harming you or your loved ones.

A gun is a tool to stop another person or animal from harming you or your loves ones.

Both can be misused....do you really think someone couldn't kill with a fire extinguiser if that was their intent?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't think it matters if it is "most" or not.

The fact is, there are PLENTY of semi-automatic shotguns out there.

In many counties of MD, your own included, rifles are NOT allowed for deer (the biggest game hunted in the country) hunting, only shotguns or black powder.

MANY game animals are hunted with shotguns, turkey, dove, pheasant, etc.
Trust me I know all of the above. I also pay attention to what's for sale. The gun shops I frequent here (damned few) are overloaded with rifles which, as you pointed out, are generally not permitted for hunting in MD.

The ones I go to most are in PA and pump shotguns and bolt or lever rifles outnumber the semi versions of both by factors of four or five to one.

In the end it doesn't matter, the end game is to incrementally ban each type of firearm one at a time leading to an eventual banning of all.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:37 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
The odds of you actually being able to use a gun successfully in self defense are fairly long. There are officers that work in bad neighborhoods and have 20 years on the force that never fired their gun. Actually a rather large majority, there are 35,000 NYPD officers and only 65 fired their weapons in 2015, that's .000018%. These are people that spend their lives on the street, compare that to civilians and the odds are fairly astronomical. Keep in mind that is just firing a gun, success is quite another story.

Seems like there are more important things to worry about like being struck by lightning.
Did you actually have a point here someplace?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Remington 1100, it holds 5 shots, though I only load 2 at a time for clay shooting. So what if heaven forbid someone got one , sawed off the barrel, went into a mall and school is it now considered a "semi auto assault weapon" by the press?

5 shots from a shotgun, takes seconds to reload the tube, against unarmed people who don't fight back, the toll would rise fast before cops showed up.

The points I am trying to make are those who won't fight back are easy pickings for someone even with a double barrel 2 shot shotgun when they are cornered and wait while a maniac reloads, and that even a hunting or sporting shotgun can do bad damage in a short time, and that the press and some lie about the so called fire power of a "AR-15" as if rifles adopted by the military are some how much more dangerous, they aren't. Then there is the fact that hundreds of thousands own and use a AR-15 or similar rifle and use it for target or hunting, the president said "the actions of a few doesn't represent all" regarding BLM well neither does semi-automatic owners or gun owners in general.

The fact is, we are no longer dealing with a robber who wants your money not your life, we are dealing with terrorists who only want your life, there is no bargaining ore pleaing with them. They count on you not fighting back, the cops can only do so much, it might be up to you to save yourself.

Which means adopting a mindset, of situational awareness. Yes fear will come on, but given the times we live in this is the way it is. It sucks I know, shouldn't have to be like this, but it is.

The government can't protect you. Some leaders in Europe are now stating people have to learn to live with terrorism. Well I think that is BS.
So, you are a going to be a terrorist and take out unarmed people. It is a shame what the R's are doing to people like you. I'm sorry that you live this way... May you find peace one day and, in the meantime, stay away from the public. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
The odds of you actually being able to use a gun successfully in self defense are fairly long. There are officers that work in bad neighborhoods and have 20 years on the force that never fired their gun. Actually a rather large majority, there are 35,000 NYPD officers and only 65 fired their weapons in 2015, that's .000018%. These are people that spend their lives on the street, compare that to civilians and the odds are fairly astronomical. Keep in mind that is just firing a gun, success is quite another story.

Seems like there are more important things to worry about like being struck by lightning.
"The odds of you actually being able to use a gun successfully in self defense are fairly long."

As many on the left say, "If it only saves one life, it is worth it", when they want to pass some feel good legislation.

"Seems like there are more important things to worry about like being struck by lightning."

Do you have life insurance?

What are the chances of you dying early in life before natural "your time"?

I KNOW this has been posted before on gun forums that you have participated in.

THE ARMED CITIZEN - News and Resources for The Armed Citizen since 2001

Have you EVER looked at it?

I doubt it. You just like to throw out nonsense.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Long guns (rifles/shotguns), no, well except for the AR type platforms. Handguns, probably.
There are tons upon tons of common (non AR) riflesand shotgun designs currently in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies