Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Stupid people on the left. As if we don't have digital bank transfers in the year 2016.

I suppose that $150 billion in the Iran nuke deal was also loaded on a transport plane.
So giving them US dollars is illegal. Instead, we give them foreign money, loaded on to pallets, delivered by plane.

It's still a ransom, but it's also money laundering. There's a REASON we can't give them US dollars.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 AM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Obama is a pathological liar.

The obfuscation and lies surrounding his dealings with Iran makes this highly suspicious as Iran says one thing and the US says another.

We know for a fact that the hostages said that they couldn't leave until another plane landed and we don't know when/if that money was to arrive at that time in advance, because the Obama administration lacks transparency and honesty on everything it does.

State Department admits to deliberately cutting briefing footage on Iran deal - CNNPolitics.com

Obama Administration Admits They Lied About Iran Deal, 'Ventriloquized' The Media | Daily Wire

Obama's Foreign Policy Guru Boasts of How the Administration Lied to Sell the Iran Deal | The Weekly Standard

New York Times: Iran Nuclear Deal was Based on a Lie | Frontpage Mag

Rosen: Obama Admin Deceived Public to Sell Iran Nuclear Deal

Obama Admin Misleading Congress on Cash Release to Iran

Old 08-05-2016, 06:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It is being reported that one of the hostages said they were not allowed to leave until the plane carrying the cash arrived. They sat on the tarmac for hours waiting eventhough their plane was already cleared to leave and everyone was onboard.
No one said "plane carrying cash". Lets not invent more "news".

Trump said he saw a video of a plane in Iran with money pouring out of it, but even he flip-flopped on it, and admitted there was no such video.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-05-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
This was openly discussed.

At what point will some here feel duped for falling for every right wing site that pushes coordinated, but unfounded attacks...?

Fact Check: Republicans Are Lying About Obama's "Secret" $400 Million Payment To Iran
Am I the only one that isn't all the engaged in this?

I'll be honest, if I were taken hostage by Iran, I'd really want Obama or the government or whatever to just pay them so I don't have to die for no reason. Maybe that's cowardice, but I'm gonna be honest, I don't care. I like this country, I don't like Iran, but why the **** would I die for our little rivalry? Yeah, whatever, it's some patriotic symbolic gesture, which is a nice way of saying it's essentially meaningless.

And let's be real, in terms of scale, $400 million isn't nearly enough to put Iran on equal footing with us anyway. Do I think he's lying? I don't know. The story the Obama administration is going with is technically believable (to contrast with the unbelievable story Secretary Clinton went with as a hapless grandmother who didn't understand the law... as a lawyer...). It's certainly interesting that this happened as the hostages were released.

My best guess, the story the Obama administration is a half truth. That $400 million could easily exist for the reason Mr. Earnest is saying. I also don't doubt that the hostages being released as that money was delivered wasn't intentional. My guess, the government was probably planning and just giving them that money and Iran wanted some leverage. Once they got the money, they didn't need the leverage, so they released that hostages. Meaning, from a technically position, that isn't a ransom and the administrations story is at least technically not a lie.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So giving them US dollars is illegal. Instead, we give them foreign money, loaded on to pallets, delivered by plane.

It's still a ransom, but it's also money laundering. There's a REASON we can't give them US dollars.

How does providing them foreign currency equate to money laundering, even if they could have done an electronic transfer they can still withdraw the funds. the money is theirs.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Am I the only one that isn't all the engaged in this?

I'll be honest, if I were taken hostage by Iran, I'd really want Obama or the government or whatever to just pay them so I don't have to die for no reason. Maybe that's cowardice, but I'm gonna be honest, I don't care. I like this country, I don't like Iran, but why the **** would I die for our little rivalry? Yeah, whatever, it's some patriotic symbolic gesture, which is a nice way of saying it's essentially meaningless.
I am sure you would want that, and I am sure many people who have a loved one being held hostage hopes for the same thing, but US does not pay ransom. If we did, there would not be US hostages held in other countries.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How does providing them foreign currency equate to money laundering, even if they could have done an electronic transfer they can still withdraw the funds. the money is theirs.
Right. Why should US have to launder money?

Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You called people stupid for not agreeing with the ransom theory, and yet no one has offered any proof for it. And yes, whoever makes a claim, is the person who needs to provide the proof.

Don't call people stupid for not believing every comment made by politicians. Smart people DO not believe everything they hear from politicians.
I did not call anyone stupid. You should know me better than that. I said people are free to play dumb.

With regards to holding money - choose your terms - ransom or blackmail? It's either one.

The fact Obama admitted to the timing of the payment back when in occurred (as I indicated in post #6). The Iranians called it ransom. A released hostage said they were held until a plane (assuming with the money) arrived.

Who should we believe if not the politicians? What's the criteria here?

Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
“This money was returned for the freedom of the US spy and it was not related to the (nuclear) negotiations,” Mohammad Reza Naqdi, a brigadier general in Iran’s Basij Force, said Wednesday. The Basij is under the command of the Revolutionary Guards.

You're more than welcome to take the word of Iranian propagandists over the explanation offered by Americans.

But it would be absolutely psychotic to do that and then oppose the nuclear agreement.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I did not call anyone stupid. You should know me better than that. I said people are free to play dumb.
It's the same thing.

Quote:
With regards to holding money - choose your terms - ransom or blackmail? It's either one.

The fact Obama admitted to the timing of the payment back when in occurred (as I indicated in post #6). The Iranians called it ransom. A released hostage said they were held until a plane (assuming with the money) arrived.

Who should we believe if not the politicians? What's the criteria here?
You can believe anything you want, even Breitbart. I want facts, and when someone makes a claim, seemingly out of thin air, I want them to prove it. Even you say you simply assume a plane was carrying cash, when there is nothing to indicate what it carried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies