Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
No new jobs = no demand for property. We haven't added a new job to the economy in total jobs terms from 1999 until now. We've just replaced the lost jobs.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Shelter is a human necessity, no shortage of demand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:47 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Shelter is a human necessity, no shortage of demand.

Buying property requires verifiable income or should. No new income = no new demand for property.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Buying property requires verifiable income or should. No new income = no new demand for property.

Zero shortage of buying demand here; international cash investors fuel bidding wars, no need for verifiable income.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Zero shortage of buying demand here; international cash investors fuel bidding wars, no need for verifiable income.
Domestic demand is off.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Domestic demand is off.

Your Mileage May Vary

Old 08-11-2016, 02:04 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,121,074 times
Quote:
The demand is off. That is why there is a shortage of supply. Over supply gets falling prices, when demand justifies higher prices then supply will kick up.
There is clearly demand but builders aren't building. Look at metros across America. Metros like Nashville, Austin, Denver all have housing price indexes higher than pre-2008 and most metros are approaching that peak, but builders are taking a slow and steady approach to building.

I grew up in Naples, FL during the housing boom of the 2000s. Back then you saw new housing being built EVERYWHERE. I moved back to Naples a year and a half ago and prices for the time period are now back to early-mid 2000s level. I saw zero new sub-divisions being built and witnessed one, just one, apartment complex being constructed. The demand IS THERE. Because everyone my age (late 20s) is struggling to find affordable living situations. What I currently pay in rent with a roommate is more than what my relatives paid for a two-bedroom apartment in the late 90s. The retirees are struggling too but they have cheaper options still available in retirement communities.

Builders just aren't building and our politicians need to start addressing this. Some of you might get a cheap condominium complex plopped next to your house and that's just the way it is. We all need someplace to live.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:08 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? ???

Millions of illegals in country + insufficient housing supply = the rent is too high = renters cannot buy = rent slavery = new feudalism
>>>> You got it. I might add that many home buyers buy houses to make apartments and rent them through government assisted housing. More poor people doesn't make for a strong economy although the very richest will still benefit. Its only a matter of time until the government stops paying and then we'll have many people working low paying jobs just like we did over a hundred years ago. Which is what they want.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
The more homes there are, the lower the prices will be.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM

13,612 posts, read 4,937,539 times
I have read that the drop in homeownership rate, along with increases in home prices, is a good thing. It means that a lot of the people who, prior to 2009, had no business buying a home, are now out, but for those who do qualify for a mortgage the average equity is up.
Another factor is this: when young people are living with their parents they are not counted as a separate household. When a Millennial moves out of Mom and Dad's basement and into an apartment, they are a new household and since they are renting, that reduces the home ownership rate.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
There is clearly demand but builders aren't building. Look at metros across America. Metros like Nashville, Austin, Denver all have housing price indexes higher than pre-2008 and most metros are approaching that peak, but builders are taking a slow and steady approach to building.

I grew up in Naples, FL during the housing boom of the 2000s. Back then you saw new housing being built EVERYWHERE. I moved back to Naples a year and a half ago and prices for the time period are now back to early-mid 2000s level. I saw zero new sub-divisions being built and witnessed one, just one, apartment complex being constructed. The demand IS THERE. Because everyone my age (late 20s) is struggling to find affordable living situations. What I currently pay in rent with a roommate is more than what my relatives paid for a two-bedroom apartment in the late 90s. The retirees are struggling too but they have cheaper options still available in retirement communities.

Builders just aren't building and our politicians need to start addressing this. Some of you might get a cheap condominium complex plopped next to your house and that's just the way it is. We all need someplace to live.
Jobs = demand.

People need places to live. People = demand. We overbuilt houses. What happens after that is underbuilding houses. To not overbuild houses again is what is needed.

Too much debt is why prices are to high. Debt destruction lowers prices, and is very painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies