Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A sizeable area or state or group of states secedes. Kill them ?
Yes ! They are traitors and deserve to die ! 20 16.13%
No ! They are free people who can choose their own governments ! 104 83.87%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 03:04 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,573,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You so sure the majority of Austin wouldnt want to secede?
You so sure the majority of Texans want to secede? I don't think Doomsday Prepper guy speaks for the majority of Texans in wanting to leave America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 03:06 PM

45,258 posts, read 26,510,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
No. Killing people during an armed uprising is... Especially if the uprising is based in Neo-Confederate principles.

Now it looks like there are "5" in agreement..
And if secession is done peacefully?

Old 08-13-2016, 03:10 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,143,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What is your opinion of a peaceful "secession"? A majority referendum?

The citizens of the state would have to vote, 2/3 state governor approval, along with congress and the executive branch.. This would be my idea of peaceful secession... It's not going to happen and America doesn't have a track record of peaceful revolutions...

Old 08-13-2016, 03:11 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,573,814 times
Quote:
As long as there are no human rights issues afterwards, free to go.

But the Cowboys are out of the NFL and the Longhorns are out of the NCAA. Not that either figure to have much of an impact on the playoffs.

Last edited by TristramShandy; 08-13-2016 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: spelling edit

Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM

45,258 posts, read 26,510,497 times
Quote:
What is your opinion of a peaceful "secession"? A majority referendum?

The citizens of the state would have to vote, 2/3 state governor approval, along with congress and the executive branch.. This would be my idea of peaceful secession... It's not going to happen and America doesn't have a track record of peaceful revolutions...
Say it was, are you still for violent intervention?

Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,409,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
You so sure the majority of Texans want to secede? I don't think Doomsday Prepper guy speaks for the majority of Texans in wanting to leave America.
"Now now, we interviewed him, his buddy, and his two neighbors, our poll indicates the 75% want to secede. " -one of several equally probable responses from some folks.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Say it was, are you still for violent intervention?
Without what I listed below the referendum idea a secession would be illegal. And just like all crimes this should be dealt with swiftly and justly...

Old 08-13-2016, 03:22 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
As long as there are no human rights issues afterwards, free to go.

But the Cowboys are out of the NFL and the Longhorns are out of the NCAA.
That's a strange assumption.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Its an indissoluble union, there is not right to secede
So you are admitting that the American people do not have the right to self-determination, a right that is an absolute requirement of representative government. That would mean the government is repressive.

Actually, I think you might be correct. And that would be a great example of why secession might be warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Not only do I support allowing states to secede, I think it'd be for the best if they did.

All the money and effort trying to unite and compromise federal policies among states that honestly are pretty much opposites, is a waste.

Better to just let them amicably split and focus 100% on doing things their own way within their own jurisdictions, using their own budgets.
Exactly right. Let people do things their own way. Stop trying to force morals and values on people that find them morally reprehensible. This goes both ways.

Quote:
Without what I listed below the referendum idea a secession would be illegal. And just like all crimes this should be dealt with swiftly and justly...
Who is going to deal with the rebels though? F*****y, limp-wristed liberal men? The vast majority of the military are southern/western conservatives or libertarians. This is more true of the combat forces that actually know how to fight (i.e. infantry, artillery, tanks, etc). There would be some liberals in the HR or accounting corps that enlisted for the freebies, but they would be massacred so fast as to not be an issue.

The reality is that if there was a widespread rebellion, the federal government wouldn't be able to put it down. Not given the ideological make-up of the military, police and the vast area of the country. Add to that 300 million plus private firearms, and it would be a guerrilla warfare nightmare for the Feds.

However, we are nowhere near that point so this is all fantasy

Old 08-13-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

Who is going to deal with the rebels though? F*****y, limp-wristed liberal men? The vast majority of the military are southern/western conservatives or libertarians. This is more true of the combat forces that actually know how to fight (i.e. infantry, artillery, tanks, etc). There would be some liberals in the HR or accounting corps that enlisted for the freebies, but they would be massacred so fast as to not be an issue.

The reality is that if there was a widespread rebellion, the federal government wouldn't be able to put it down. Not given the ideological make-up of the military, police and the vast area of the country. Add to that 300 million plus private firearms, and it would be a guerrilla warfare nightmare for the Feds.

However, we are nowhere near that point so this is all fantasy
Are you an 11B? Are you a war Vet? How do you know the political makeup of the armed forces? I was in the military and there is vast diversity of opinion. Most of the military has a big sense of duty that they take seriously. I would bet that If the president called upon the armed forces to protect the constitution of the United States the majority of the men and women in uniform would obey.

The best indication of what would happen would be to look at what happened last time this was attempted... We are not at this point but lets not kid are selves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies