Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A sizeable area or state or group of states secedes. Kill them ?
Yes ! They are traitors and deserve to die ! 20 16.13%
No ! They are free people who can choose their own governments ! 104 83.87%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 03:51 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,961,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Are you an 11B? Are you a war Vet? How do you know the political makeup of the armed forces? I was in the military and there is vast diversity of opinion. Most of the military has a big sense of duty that they take seriously. I would bet that If the president called upon the armed forces to protect the constitution of the United States the majority of the men and women in uniform would obey.

The best indication of what would happen would be to look at what happened last time this was attempted... We are not at this point but lets not kid are selves...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-republicans/

Fully 44% of the military is conservative. They are not going to follow an order from a President like Obama to kill other Americans. My guess is most of the moderates wouldn't either. That primarily leaves the 20% who are liberal, most of which are probably not in the combat MOSes and therefore very rarely handle weapons.

Also, the Civil War took place in an entirely different era. Yankees back then still had exposure to firearms and not as many were urbanized as today. Would the US government draft a bunch of hipster millennial snowflakes to fight the country boys from the south and west that grew up outside with guns?

This is a conversation we are having because I think most of us know that something has to change or this scenario will, unfortunately, become more likely with each passing year. The best idea is the amicable divorce idea that could be coupled with a military alliance for defense purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,143,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-republicans/

Fully 44% of the military is conservative. They are not going to follow an order from a President like Obama to kill other Americans. My guess is most of the moderates wouldn't either. That primarily leaves the 20% who are liberal, most of which are probably not in the combat MOSes and therefore very rarely handle weapons.

Also, the Civil War took place in an entirely different era. Yankees back then still had exposure to firearms and not as many were urbanized as today. Would the US government draft a bunch of hipster millennial snowflakes to fight the country boys from the south and west that grew up outside with guns?

This is a conversation we are having because I think most of us know that something has to change or this scenario will, unfortunately, become more likely with each passing year. The best idea is the amicable divorce idea that could be coupled with a military alliance for defense purposes.
I see you dodged the first two questions.

The armed forces are sworn to defend the United states against threats that are both foreign and domestic.. Indiscriminately killing civilians is one thing, most people won't follow those orders.. Putting down an armed rebellion waged by right wing nut jobs is something totally different.

Lets get it on...

Old 08-13-2016, 04:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,961,338 times
Quote:

The armed forces are sworn to defend the United states against threats that are both foreign and domestic.. Indiscriminately killing civilians is one thing, most people won't follow those orders.. Putting down an armed rebellion waged by right wing nut jobs is something totally different.

Lets get it on...
Unprovable mental experiment at this point. If there were another Civil War, I think it would quickly devolve into total war. Civilians would need to be targeted for one side or the other to win. Likely there would be lynch mobs attacking the minority conservatives in the blue states, and the minority lefties in the red states. It would be a nasty business that is best avoided.

The fact that questions like this even get asked and taken seriously says a lot about the state of our Union though. It is clear to me that a united and harmonious USA cannot be achieved through the same methods and processes we have been using. We need some sort of reboot.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,496,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Scenario:

South Carolina or Texas, or other states or groups of states
secede from the U.S.

Would you support the Federal armed forces to be sent to
quell the secessionists, if it really does mean killing hundreds
of thousands if not millions of people who do not want to be
in the United States anymore ?

anonymous poll.
I would not support any kind of federal intervention. I'd wish those states well and bring my passport when visiting.

[]

Old 08-13-2016, 04:26 PM

17,473 posts, read 9,296,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Scenario:

South Carolina or Texas, or other states or groups of states
secede from the U.S.

anonymous poll.
Interesting premise - does that mean we should also "vote" on whether the Federal Government has the right to send Assassination Squads to kill people who give up their Citizenship to move abroad or how about the Companies that move their headquarters to Foreign soil to avoid the highest Corporate Tax in the World .... OK or NOT to Assassinate all the folks who work for those Companies?

Interesting Times we live in. It's a Time for Choosing. Do we want Law & Order or Anarchy?

Old 08-13-2016, 04:29 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,818 times
Executions of those openly carrying arms and levying war against the US? Yes
Wantonly massacring entire communities that just happen to be in an area of rebellion? No

Old 08-13-2016, 04:30 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,607,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I would not support any kind of federal intervention. I'd wish those states well and bring my passport when visiting.

[]
What if it wasn't a state, but territories within a state, such as
the indigenous peoples of Alaska, or the Lakota, or the native tribes
of many other states ?

Old 08-13-2016, 04:35 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,451,100 times
Right-wing nut-jobs notwithstanding, I see no impetus toward such an action...As a veteran I can say with a degree of certainty that if an area rebelled, just as in the Civil war..some state natives would excuse themselves and the rest of the military would follow orders.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 PM

17,473 posts, read 9,296,474 times
Quote:

Lets get it on...
Of course the question wasn't about an "armed rebellion" ....... just a question about people who "do not want to be in the United States anymore".

Just about 1/3 of the voters say ...... KILL "hundreds of thousands if not millions".
That folks is exactly the "State of our Union" in our Transformed America.

It's a Time for Choosing - Do we want Law & Order OR do we want Anarchy (and it looks like the murder of those who disagree with Leftists)???

Old 08-13-2016, 04:49 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,296,530 times
Quote:
Are you an 11B? Are you a war Vet? How do you know the political makeup of the armed forces? I was in the military and there is vast diversity of opinion. Most of the military has a big sense of duty that they take seriously. I would bet that If the president called upon the armed forces to protect the constitution of the United States the majority of the men and women in uniform would obey.

The best indication of what would happen would be to look at what happened last time this was attempted... We are not at this point but lets not kid are selves...
Something tells me the new imports into America is not going to pave the way to Atlanta with their dead bodies so you can burn it.

Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies