Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,193,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
It can be seen this way...

A black is someone with dark colored skin.

An African American is telling you they are decended from slaves and want to be treated differently.

Don't believe it?

Two black people stand side by side. Which would any sane and reasonable person think is a "black" and which is "African American"?

Now before the woodwork starts to explode with the All African Americans are Black but not all Blacks are African Americans...I answer:

Then wear something so we know what you are since you see a difference and demand certain conditions and understanding because you were descended from slaves.
Being a descendant of African slaves doesn't automatically make you an African-American. There was slavery in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Colombia, Grenada, Brazil etc.

No one needs to wear anything for you. Open your mouth and ask a question, like you do when you encounter Asians, for example.

This is no more than an issue of who people want to respect. Then when they choose to lack respect and get corrected, they want to whine about. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,142,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. A black person on TV said "People of color", so how is that term different from "Colored people"? Just seems odd to me.

It would be like saying "Polish people" or "People from Polish countries". Same thing, just a different way of saying it.

Don
I think the rising use of the term "people of color" will probably lead to more slips of the tongue like this. Many people of my generation ( gen x ) had grandmas who referred to black people as colored people because that was the respectful term at the time. I spent a lot of time with her. I never used the phrase myself, at least not intentionally, but I did once when I meant to say " people of color" . Mercifully, I wasn't on tv.

Once that word connotation is in the head, a slight change in phrasing " people of color " which of course pretty much covers all non-whites, might trigger that word association in your brain, and out it comes.

I don't think this lady meant any offense at all. If it wasn't for those segrationist jack offs using that term back in the Jim Crow era, most black people probably wouldn't find it offensive anyway.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 AM

59,277 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, ni%%er has no meaning anymore to the people that use it.

If you would have told a 40something in 1966 that "colored" is wayyyyyy more offensive than ni%%er in 2016 they would have been shocked.

But here we are.

Words change, yes. But what has really changed is that now select groups claim ownership of words and decipher their context/meaning on a case-by-case basis. Then anyone who disagrees or even wants to discuss the issue is vilified and condemned.

That's why we have so much "accidental offensive incidents".

You never know what a word means, what it will mean tomorrow, and who you can use it with nowadays.
"Well, ni%%er has no meaning anymore to the people that use it.

This is probably the BEST example of the double standard.

You CAN'T even type it on here without it being (*) out.

The black community uses it ALL the time to each other.

WHY?

When they called another black one, what does it mean?

When I worked in the slums of D.C and half of my fellow workers were black they told us "whities" what it meant to them and we ALL used it when appropriate.

BUT, the whites CAN'T use it or will be called everything in the book.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,143,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

WHY?

When I worked in the slums of D.C and half of my fellow workers were black they told us "whities" what it meant to them and we ALL used it when appropriate.

Because we can. There's certain explanations that go without saying.

The only thing you need to know is we can and you can't...

Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,968,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Being a descendant of African slaves doesn't automatically make you an African-American. There was slavery in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Colombia, Grenada, Brazil etc.

No one needs to wear anything for you. Open your mouth and ask a question, like you do when you encounter Asians, for example.

This is no more than an issue of who people want to respect. Then when they choose to lack respect and get corrected, they want to whine about. Please.
This has nothing to do with respect. It has to do with attention.

Do blacks respect the cultures among white people? No, they do not, the proof is that they blame all whites in America for slavery never mind that many are immigrants who arrived after slavery was abolished.

African American and Black is used interchangably by almost everyone.

Its a fact, arguing otherwise makes no sense.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:

WHY?

The word is being used by blacks to destigmatize the word. It is kinda like the word redneck.

It ain't completely destigmatized yet. Don't use it.

Decent whites do not want to use the n-word anyways.

I don't think, IRL, I have ever heard a black guy refer to himself or another black guy as African-American.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM

27,700 posts, read 16,194,432 times
what other 2 words can you scramble that offends?? Did it really offend?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:

WHY?

Does this really need to be explained? Really??

If someone in my family, or a buddy calls me a mick or a wop, which aren't as inflammatory as the *n* word, it's different than someone who is neither, calling me that. Someone of the same background, or a good friend, isn't using it in a derogatory manner.

If someone I don't know well, but is clearly Italian calls me a wop, I know it's his way of trying to establish some commonality between us.

If someone who isn't a friend and isn't Italian uses it, it's offensive. He doesn't have the right to use it.

I'm sure people will argue that they don't care what people call them - but that's not the point - so I'm going to preemptively suggest people who don't get it read what I wrote above several times until it sinks in.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Does this really need to be explained? Really??

If someone in my family, or a buddy calls me a mick or a wop, which aren't as inflammatory as the *n* word, it's different than someone who is neither, calling me that. Someone of the same background, or a good friend, isn't using it in a derogatory manner.

If someone I don't know well, but is clearly Italian calls me a wop, I know it's his way of trying to establish some commonality between us.

If someone who isn't a friend and isn't Italian uses it, it's offensive. He doesn't have the right to use it.

I'm sure people will argue that they don't care what people call them - but that's not the point - so I'm going to preemptively suggest people who don't get it read what I wrote above several times until it sinks in.
Yep, it ain't real complicated.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 AM

29,610 posts, read 16,598,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, what about the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)?

UGA grad Amy Robach uses 'colored people' on Good Morning America | www.ajc.com
I dont have a problem with the way she used the term, but stop pretending like the word colored isnt used as a slur or that no one has ever used it as such or as if people actually say "National Association for the the Advancement of Colored People instead of NAACP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies