Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times

Advertisements

This is a controversial subject. It seems like, when you look at the top achievers in society, men dominate. It pains me to say it, but I can't find any example of truly innovative females. Where are the female Steve Jobs, Shakespeares, etc. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 02:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Where are you looking? Sheryl Sandberg was very key in Facebook's success, but her story doesn't make for the sexy bro-dude fantasy that was presented in the movie. There's also Ann Druyan, Hedy Lamarr, Marie Curie, Mary Shelley, Jane Austen, Grace Hopper (the computer), Jane Goodall...I wouldn't even put much emphasis on history before 1960 since women were actively discouraged from education and careers outside teaching or nurse. As for Shakespeare, not even Shakespeare was Shakespeare. There is evidence that this was a group of aristocrats using a pen name because at the time, playwrighting was considered a lowly profession. Just because someone doesn't get mainstream media coverage or Hollywood fanfare doesn't mean they don't exist.

Ten Historic Female Scientists You Should Know | Science | Smithsonian

This list includes the woman who invented the prototype for Kevlar http://www.biography.com/news/famous...tors-biography

19 Things You Might Not Know Were Invented by Women | Mental Floss

The "lady computers" of NASA when men and women were segregated She Was a Computer When Computers Wore Skirts | NASA

Old 08-20-2016, 03:05 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Males do tend to dominate each end of the bell curve. More males are geniuses and more are total morons. I've met more of the total morons.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:28 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Sexism is very alive and well and is more prominent in certain aspects than others. I know women in STEM who have dealt with sexism. I know women in sports (highlighted in particular by the Olympics) who have dealt with sexism. I have dealt with sexism in the workplace personally. It's held us, women back, for a long time. And still does but not as bad as it used to be.

It's like saying, "why can't I find successful black people in history?" When you know damn well they used to be slaves for a very long time and never had the same opportunities as the privileged white man. This thread is moronic.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
LOL...i guess folks have ran out of anti-black topics to come up with, so now it's time to pick on women.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:42 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Women and men are equal, it was drilled into me in college. But sometimes women are more equal - actually better than men in most things we are now learning. Same goes for other groups. The only group on the decline are men because men are too stupid/laid back to care about what is happening. Maybe that is whh the white liberal elites want to bring Sharia to the west.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:42 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
This is a controversial subject. It seems like, when you look at the top achievers in society, men dominate. It pains me to say it, but I can't find any example of truly innovative females. Where are the female Steve Jobs, Shakespeares, etc. ?
You're not looking hard enough, plus you're not trying hard enough to spell names like Beethoven's correctly. It can be hard to measure greatness, mostly because it's hard to get people to agree about the criteria that make something great, but how about Coco Chanel? Gertrude Stein? Mary Shelley? They made innovations in their disciplines, and in the latter two cases, they perhaps did so because they were explicitly told that women had no place in literary modernism (Stein) or British Romanticism (Shelley). That's just off the top of my head without really thinking about it; others have mentioned women like Curie. Rosalind Franklin easily rolls off the tongue as well; she helped Watson and Crick conceptualize the double-helixical nature of DNA.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
Men and women are not wired the same. Evolution dictates that a woman take the safest approach to life in order to protect and nurture offspring long term. Men are programmed to take as much risk as possible in order to impregnate the highest number of females possible.

On top of that, females have been considered second class citizens for something on the order of tens of thousands of years and would not even be given the same opportunities as her husband or brother.
I think this offers a partial explanation but cannot nearly account for gender imbalance at the highest levels of achievement. Many fields have been open to women for a long time. Women have been writing novels, making music and painting for centuries, and many have produced fine work. But still, there has never been anything close to gender parity at the top end.
Quote:
Finally, history has been written by men for thousands upon thousands of years. Whose stories do you think are going to be recorded?
So you think all the female geniuses of long ago were lost to history? That's difficult to disprove, but given the fact that the top achievers today are still overwhelmingly male what reason is there to suppose that it was different in the past?
Quote:
Really stupid and pointless question though, imo.
...odd that you would take the time to reply then. What can be said about people who spend their days voluntarily participating in discussions they think are stupid and pointless?

Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
2 part response:

#1 Women have been kept out of positions of power historically, so you will see less women accomplishing things from a historical perspective.

#2 Men are more likely to be geniuses than women. Women actually have a slightly higher average IQ by a hair, because men are also more likely to have below average IQs. This is because all genes discovered related to IQ are on the X chromosome. Since women have 2 X chromosomes their IQ gets averaged towards the middle and have a back up if there is a defect on one. Men have greater variation only having 1 X and no back up if there is damage to one.

However, in every society, extremely high IQs are more likely to find success. There are both men and women with extremely high IQs, there are just statistically more men of extremely high IQs.

Cue the science deniers.

Men are both dumber and smarter than women

Old 08-20-2016, 04:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
One should not question the intelligence of others while misspelling their thread title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies