Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:05 AM

16,009 posts, read 7,059,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims. Do you know any in the world today that are not?
You cannot be selective about history and when the time line begins. Every act has consequences. white america terrorized and committed mass murder of Native Americans. Jews committed terrorists acts to get Isreal declared as their country. The slave holders of US terrorized Africans for over 200 years. Sri Lankans invented suicide bombings. The Irish committed many atrocities. You want to erase all that history and hold extremists as sole terrorists? You need to study history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,333,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
YOU know what happens when you assume. America is secular in the sense there is separation of church and state. Our laws are man made not handed down from some divine being or her prophet. This is the essence of America and it was a new way of being. This has nothing to do with freedom to practice your religion, the lack of which drove the piligrims out of Europe and to the new world, so they can pray the way they wish and not get killed for it. You should know your history better.
I know my history very well, thank you. But you seem be deficient in your knowledge of American history. You do not seem to realize that the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in any of our founding documents, including the Constitution, and you are misconstruing the phrase as used in the letter to the Danbury Baptists, like the ACLU and others do, to support your contention that it means there must be no vestige of Christianity in any government body, policy, or or law. In fact, the words of the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law, respecting an establishment of religion," are pretty clear on their face. And the framers who wrote those words had in mind the various Christian sects, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. Congress was not to Establish one sect over another as the officially recognized Church. And we have as support for that view, the historical fact that they fled England, the "official church" of which was the Church of England, so that they could practice whatever sect of Christianity they belonged to, without fear of persecution.

The founders and framers and the vast majority of settlers in the "new world" belonged to one of the many Christian sects. This is historical fact. Most were familiar with the writings of John Calvin, and his belief that our "inalienable rights" (or "natural rights") had there origin in Scripture. That is why those "natural rights" found their way into the Declaration of Independence. They were not a "new idea" that had just been dreamed up by the American "rebels," but they had been the very soul of Christian thought with regard to man's relationship to man and nature for centuries.

Quote:
Yes it it was and is. You are making up your own laws again.
Can you tell me where in the Constitution, or where in any of our laws, it says we must permit the practice of a religion and the activities of a group of people in the name of that religion, whose tenets and ideology seek and plot our destruction? Where? Show me. We have laws against insurrection. It doesn't matter if there is a claim to "religious freedom."

Finally, as I stated before, out Constitution and our laws do not require us to commit political and societal suicide in the name of some group's "freedom of religion."

Quote:
America accommodates for religious practices. Such as nativity scenes, prayer at public meetings, Jewish holidays, Easter and Ash Wednesday, Divali. In communities where Jews are in great number some Jewish religious laws prevails such as in parts of New York, Boston etc. You cannot do all this for instance if you lived in France. You cannot even wear a big cross on your chest and walk around. Do you ever get out of your own town and neighborhood? Do you actually live in the US?
Get serious. I was referring to your comment about elevators not being operational on certain days.

Yes, I get out of my own town and neighborhood! What a stupid question! I have lived in San Francisco (Bay Area), San Diego, Ohio, Pensylvannia and New York (state). I have been abroad many times, not only while in the Navy, but I traveled in my work, both as a field service tech, and later as a representative from the Marketing Department of my company. I've been to Brussels, Aberdeen, (Scotland), Toronto, Hong Kong, Japan, Okinawa, and the Philippines. As for the U.S., I've traveled to New Orleans, Alabama, Houston, St. Louis, New York City, Homestead, FL. I've crossed the U.S. by car several times between Ohio and California.

And you?

Quote:
That does not say much.
Really? What do you know about Islam? Nothing, as far as I can tell. I have been studying the works of people who have spent years studying Islam, who are considered experts. It ought to count for something.

What are your credentials?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You cannot be selective about history and when the time line begins. Every act has consequences. white america terrorized and committed mass murder of Native Americans. Jews committed terrorists acts to get Isreal declared as their country. The slave holders of US terrorized Africans for over 200 years. Sri Lankans invented suicide bombings. The Irish committed many atrocities. You want to erase all that history and hold extremists as sole terrorists? You need to study history.
Oh, please! Resorting to moral equivalency? Did you borrow that from one of Obama's speeches?

Your knowledge of history is flawed. Jews have been persecuted by Muslims since Islam was founded in the 7th century.

Who are the terrorists in the world today? They are Muslims. What was the reason for the crusades? Muslim conquests, in which they slaughtered millions!

I think that you are the one who is lacking in knowledge of history; but, that's always the standard response from Leftists, isn't it? "Get an education," or "you need to study history" (when your knowledge is so obviously lacking!)

Old 09-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Trump claims he knows more about ISIS than the generals.

The right doesn't need "experts."

When did he say that? Do you have a link to an original source?

Old 09-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
You raise the issue of Clinton and 9/11 ya dope!
Yep. I guess personal attacks are okay now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies