Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

Theresa May from March 20, 2019 - three weeks ago - on participating in the EU Parliamentary elections:
What May has said about not being willing to delay Brexit beyond 30 June as PM

Theresa May was asked if she would remain as prime minister if the UK stayed in the EU beyond 30 June because three weeks ago she said that would be unacceptable. This is what she said at PMQs on 20 March, talking about her first request for an article 50 extension. She said:
The government intend to bring forward proposals for a third meaningful vote. If that vote is passed, the extension will give the house time to consider the withdrawal agreement bill. If not, the house will have to decide how to proceed. But as prime minister— as prime minister, I am not prepared to delay Brexit any further than 30 June.
And here is the video {At the link}.

If the UK participates in these elections, it seems clear that she should resign. The problem is, that will not be enough for a failure of this magnitude. Everything she has said about this suggests to me that she knows this, too.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This is a big part of the reason that May instigated the cross party talks with Labour - to create some space for her to work in. It appears to be working for the time being, but this period of respite will not last for long.

Still no concessions of any kind from either party, as far as I am aware. Isn't that interesting?
You really seem to think May is cleverly playing the process but I gotta say all I see from her is bumbling incompetence. Whatever her ultimate goal is she seems to be approaching it haphazardly and with no sense of national dignity, which used to be something the British took seriously.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
You really seem to think May is cleverly playing the process but I gotta say all I see from her is bumbling incompetence. Whatever her ultimate goal is she seems to be approaching it haphazardly and with no sense of national dignity, which used to be something the British took seriously.
I believe that is what she is trying her best to do.

What I have yet to hear or read from anyone is how anyone who was committed to achieving a real Brexit - while surrounded by a covertly Remain Parliament, and while being openly being confronted by the full power and resources of the globalist establishment elite left, with the passionate assistance of the mass media, and also the EU27, who appear to believe that they are the rightful rulers of not only the EU (and therefore the UK) but also probably the entire Earth as well - could be doing this in a better way than what she has done it.

It has been ugly, I will certainly grant you that. But this is a time for winning, and winning ugly is fine. Worrying about nonsense like the "national dignity" is silly and misplaced right now.

She needs to keep the UK from participating in the May 23, 2019 EU Parliamentary elections. If she achieves that, regardless of how ugly or undignified the methods, then Brexit is achieved. She will walk out of this with the laurel wreath of victory on her head and the UK will have won its independence.

Let's keep our eye on the prize, what do you say?

Old 04-10-2019, 10:46 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I believe that is what she is trying her best to do.

What I have yet to hear or read from anyone is how anyone who was committed to achieving a real Brexit - while surrounded by a covertly Remain Parliament, and while being openly being confronted by the full power and resources of the globalist establishment elite left, with the passionate assistance of the mass media, and also the EU27, who appear to believe that they are the rightful rulers of not only the EU (and therefore the UK) but also probably the entire Earth as well - could be doing this in a better way than what she has done it.

It has been ugly, I will certainly grant you that. But this is a time for winning, and winning ugly is fine. Worrying about nonsense like the "national dignity" is silly and misplaced right now.

She needs to keep the UK from participating in the May 23, 2019 EU Parliamentary elections. If she achieves that, regardless of how ugly or undignified the methods, then Brexit is achieved. She will walk out of this with the laurel wreath of victory on her head and the UK will have won its independence.

Let's keep our eye on the prize, what do you say?
She could have let time run out and took the hard Brexit when it became obvious the EU was bargaining in bad faith. Instead she seems hellbent on and odd combination of grovelling and indecision that ultimately ends in no Brexit. Even if no Brexit is her ultimate goal, and I think that has been her goal from the beginning, she is heading there with slapstick incompetence not clever maneuvering.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
She could have let time run out and took the hard Brexit when it became obvious the EU was bargaining in bad faith. Instead she seems hellbent on and odd combination of grovelling and indecision that ultimately ends in no Brexit. Even if no Brexit is her ultimate goal, and I think that has been her goal from the beginning, she is heading there with slapstick incompetence not clever maneuvering.
Theresa May did not support this second extension at all and she only supported the first under pressure from her own party. Even to this very moment, she continues to adhere to a position of an extension not beyond June 30, 2019, which would not require the UK to participate in the May 23, 2019 EU Parliamentary elections, which if that happens, would mean that the UK has achieved Brexit.

This second extension request was passed by Parliament by one vote, using very slimy tactics, without her support, and the terms of the final bill are dubious at best. But it should be noted again, that the Parliament has also only authorized her to seek an extension until June 30, 2019, which again would mean the UK is out of the EU before the next Parliament is seated on July 2, 2019.

She could not have let time run out. You are mistaken. She is not the dictator of the UK and Parliament have been very aggressive in imposing their will on her here.

She really does appear to me to be doing the very best she can. At this point, she is like William Tell trying to thread an arrow through about 5 or 6 axe-handles simultaneously. If she succeeds here, it will be the political achievement of this century so far - worldwide - no question about it. You might want to consider cutting her a bit of slack here.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:04 AM

The arrogance of these people can hardly be exaggerated:
https://twitter.com/MehreenKhn/statu...05174282203136

Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
I can well understand why they are frustrated by this. The EU has held the door open, several different doors in fact, for the UK to leave by. The UK so far has refused to leave by any of those doors while still maintaining that it wants to leave.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
I can well understand why they are frustrated by this. The EU has held the door open, several different doors in fact, for the UK to leave by. The UK so far has refused to leave by any of those doors while still maintaining that it wants to leave.
The EU have constantly refused to negotiate any further on the deal, despite Parliament not being happy with the deal May and the EU came up with.

It also should be noted that legal advice was released which highlighted the potential legal problems Britain could face in terms of becoming trapped in the legislation with no get out.

The EU could have put in place clauses to appease the UK Parliament but refused to budge other than trying to reassure the UK, however even the Attorney General Geoffrey Cox QC was critical of the deal and it's legal implications.

I don't call that opening several different doors, they aren't even willing to compromise on the current deal by adding a paragraph that would make the deal temporary and would appease British fears.

Would you sign something if you had been legally advised not to.

I can only hope that we tear the Lancaster House Treaties up and go our own way in terms of France.

Lancaster House Treaties - Wikipedia

Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The EU have constantly refused to negotiate any further on the deal, despite Parliament not being happy with the deal May and the EU came up with.
That is the EU’s right. Play the victim, or be the survivor - your choice.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
That is the EU’s right. Play the victim, or be the survivor - your choice.
The EU can's have it both ways, it either treats us as an important trading partner and ally or it doesn't and that has big implications in terms of our relationship in terms of defence and security.

Why should the UK be basing troops and aircraft in Europe to defend it from Russian aggression, why should the UK be part of any future collaboration with Europe and why should the UK be expected to fork out billions and billions to Europe.

They can't have it all ways and in terms of trade, the UK is Europes largest trading partner, we are economically more important than 19 of the 27 EU countries put together, and the EU has a $100 Billion a year trade surples with the UK, which is a similar amount of trade surplus the EU has with much bigger countres such as the US.

I am not one for messing around, I would leave on friday and woulld have our troops home by monday, and would tear up all defence agreements with EU countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies